Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Nutrient  (Read 29672 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Yeast Nutrient
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 12:35:03 pm »
How much is the Wyeast nutrient? Maybe I should give it another try.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:05 pm »
How much is the Wyeast nutrient? Maybe I should give it another try.

Very cheap.

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/839512.htm
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2011, 12:43:50 pm »
It's good to hear this experience Joe.

Does anyone know if there have been any studies at UC Davis or Siebel on the effect of Zinc and Magnesium on yeast health and development? I know that Wyeast recommends adding nutrients to support yeast development. I haven't done any side-by side blind tastings but I do take Wyeasts recommendation in confidence.
There is a lot of research on the role of zn and mg, not just for beer.  They are important cofactors for many enzymes.

Yeast is the simplest eukaryotic organism, and is used for a lot of preliminary research to understand our own biology.  It's a well studied system, even with the holes.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2011, 02:45:13 pm »
Reinheitsgebot, was a tax law that defined what beer was so it could properly be taxed. Hey, we don't pay any tax on homebrew!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2011, 02:54:47 pm »
Reinheitsgebot, was a tax law that defined what beer was so it could properly be taxed. Hey, we don't pay any tax on homebrew!
What was relevant and important to people 500 years ago is not necessarily so now.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:32 pm »
To answer the yeast suppliment question, I use 1/2 of a 15 mg tab for a 10 gallon batch.

As to research/data on Zinc and yeast health, I remember this one.
http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2009/Tobias-Fischborn-NHC2009-Yeast%20nutrition.pdf

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 07:29:24 pm »
What was relevant and important to people 500 years ago is not necessarily so now.

True, but I'll not sway far from the 4 basic ingredients that create such a wonderful liquid.  :P

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2011, 09:14:34 pm »

True, but I'll not sway far from the 4 basic ingredients that create such a wonderful liquid.  :P
I won't insist that you do ;)  But I'll take a well made wit any day of the week.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »
To answer the yeast suppliment question, I use 1/2 of a 15 mg tab for a 10 gallon batch.

As to research/data on Zinc and yeast health, I remember this one.
http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2009/Tobias-Fischborn-NHC2009-Yeast%20nutrition.pdf

That's interesting, slide 16 mentions the ideal is between .4 and 1ppm zinc in your wort. A while back I had an email exchange with Wyeast about their nutrient (actually about zinc toxicity and starter volume) and they stated, "Adding the nutrient [bc nutrient] at recommended levels will add 0.45 ppm zinc to your wort (that assumes 100% makes it into your fermenter).  I read a journal article that reported toxic effects at 50ppm (a lot)."

Doubling recommended rate (i.e. 1 tsp) may be the best way to ensure that you're getting the minimum without exceeding the maximum 1ppm.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/