Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225606 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #870 on: September 29, 2015, 06:16:24 am »
I picked up a couple black currant bushes for the garden.  8)

I think next year I'll plant more things that don't need processing. I was overrun with tomatoes this year - I think 8 plants is too much for the both of us. I just can't put up any more marinara sauce with all of our other activities. So I'm going for more things that can either be stored on their own or frozen. I liked the spinach, snap peas, peppers, peppers, peppers, potatoes, carrots, etc. I'll probably do a bit more of those and less tomatoes. I'm also thinking about getting more blackberry plants since I have a good amount of open space.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #871 on: September 29, 2015, 08:39:26 am »
Very nice. I just bottled a batch of plum mead with lavender. I bet those little buggers are packed with flavor. What exactly are you making with those?

I juiced them and introduced sweet mead yeast and some cane sugar to up the gravity....
Should be some type of wine.  May decide to champagne bottle and sparkle, not sure yet.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #872 on: September 29, 2015, 08:41:00 am »
I have a good amount of open space.

From the pic you posted, you are supplying a small village....lol

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #873 on: September 29, 2015, 01:27:01 pm »
Very nice. I just bottled a batch of plum mead with lavender. I bet those little buggers are packed with flavor. What exactly are you making with those?

I juiced them and introduced sweet mead yeast and some cane sugar to up the gravity....
Should be some type of wine.  May decide to champagne bottle and sparkle, not sure yet.
Sounds great!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #874 on: September 29, 2015, 04:40:24 pm »
I picked up a couple black currant bushes for the garden.  8)

I think next year I'll plant more things that don't need processing. I was overrun with tomatoes this year - I think 8 plants is too much for the both of us. I just can't put up any more marinara sauce with all of our other activities. So I'm going for more things that can either be stored on their own or frozen. I liked the spinach, snap peas, peppers, peppers, peppers, potatoes, carrots, etc. I'll probably do a bit more of those and less tomatoes. I'm also thinking about getting more blackberry plants since I have a good amount of open space.

Too many tomatoes? I'm afraid I don't understand.

I highly recommend this variety of blackberry:
http://noursefarms.com/blackberry-plants/prime-ark-freedom/

It was our first year with it, but it grew really well in less than ideal conditions, and the berries we got this year tasted incredible.
Kyle M.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #875 on: September 29, 2015, 10:59:28 pm »
From one bountiful basket gift and one measly spud cut into quarters...a little rick and a bag
of miracle grow potting soil (which was reclaimed) ...came about 5 lbs of these really
delicious purple spuds....what a nice surprise. Harvest is over  only a few carrots remain.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:02:01 pm by 1vertical »

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #876 on: September 30, 2015, 06:37:26 am »

It was our first year with it, but it grew really well in less than ideal conditions, and the berries we got this year tasted incredible.

From Norse, I'm assuming you're getting bare root plants? And you got berries the first year? When are you planting? I ordered currant plants in pots to cut down on the planting to fruiting time and will be planting them tomorrow so they can get established (still mid 80s here for some reason). Thoughts on planting times for blackberries/raspberries? (Also thinking about picking up some Heritage raspberries.)
Amanda Burkemper

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #877 on: September 30, 2015, 07:55:10 am »

From Norse, I'm assuming you're getting bare root plants? And you got berries the first year? When are you planting? I ordered currant plants in pots to cut down on the planting to fruiting time and will be planting them tomorrow so they can get established (still mid 80s here for some reason). Thoughts on planting times for blackberries/raspberries? (Also thinking about picking up some Heritage raspberries.)
Up here I would plant them in the early spring or, 2nd choice, late summer (very late August/very early September). You might be able to get them established before winter planting now where you live though.

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #878 on: September 30, 2015, 09:51:38 am »
We are finally getting some peppers from our container garden.  We put in Jalapenos and a type of bell pepper but we didn't get any blossoms until mid-August.  It's been a very strange year for growing in Iowa this year.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #879 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:28 am »

Up here I would plant them in the early spring or, 2nd choice, late summer (very late August/very early September). You might be able to get them established before winter planting now where you live though.

I would also recommend early spring. For this variety, we did not get bare roots, but instead received them as a plant tissue culture. We did indeed get berries this year, like a pint off 5 plants. Like I said, we did not do a lot of preparation for them, and could not keep the weeds down. Had I the foresight, I would put down some black plastic mulch right now, the Fall before planting, and cut out some holes in the spring to plant them into. I would also get the soil ph correct before planting. I could easily see these plants giving a really nice yield this year had I done that.
Kyle M.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #880 on: September 30, 2015, 06:04:50 pm »
We are finally getting some peppers from our container garden.  We put in Jalapenos and a type of bell pepper but we didn't get any blossoms until mid-August.  It's been a very strange year for growing in Iowa this year.

Paul

Bell peppers are finicky as heck to grow. I grow a few different pepper varieties and most either do not flower during the hottest part of the summer or the blossoms drop off because it's too hot (much like tomatoes). I've tried growing them off and on for a few years. I finally found a plant that seems to tolerate the heat here but like most of my pepper plants they only develop fruit in the late spring and fall.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #881 on: September 30, 2015, 08:37:48 pm »

If you're growing your own raspberries I highly recommend Anne. Golden raspberries are hard to come by unless you grow them yourself, and the flavor is spectacular.

Outside of wild brambles, the best blackberries I've had (flavor-wise) were boysenberries. I only have a couple of plants that are still around, and I haven't been able to save enough for jam the past few years - they all get eaten between the garden and the house.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #882 on: October 01, 2015, 05:37:41 am »

Paul

Bell peppers are finicky as heck to grow. I grow a few different pepper varieties and most either do not flower during the hottest part of the summer or the blossoms drop off because it's too hot (much like tomatoes). I've tried growing them off and on for a few years. I finally found a plant that seems to tolerate the heat here but like most of my pepper plants they only develop fruit in the late spring and fall.
One thing I learned about peppers is that you will have problems with them flowering and fruiting if the temp gets below 50. Around here that means not planting until June and still covering them once or twice.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #883 on: October 01, 2015, 06:12:43 am »
One thing I learned about peppers is that you will have problems with them flowering and fruiting if the temp gets below 50. Around here that means not planting until June and still covering them once or twice.

I also didn't plant until it was about 65-75+, which really allowed them to take off once they got outside.

But... I have real problems with pepper diseases, which is why I switched to drip irrigation. Too bad it rained and rained and rained and rained here, so I lost a couple plants/fruits to a bacteria spot. The hot peppers didn't seem to mind, my one large bell pepper plant nearly died (Red Beauty), and my little lunchbox sized bell peppers did quite well despite the disease they had early on in life. I'll be saving seeds after this year from the ones that did well and trying out another variety or two of bell peppers. We make a bell pepper soup that is freakin' awesome, so I have to figure out a way to grow more peppers!  :)
Amanda Burkemper

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #884 on: October 01, 2015, 06:32:11 am »
Figured with all this talking, I should add some pictures:

Ghost pepper. I have no clue why I'm growing this. I can barely even go near the plant, much less eat it. Once the 5-6 peppers on it turn red, they will get turned into hot sauce and given to my heat-seeker friends.

Pepper harvest from September 2nd. Looks like a mix of jallys, poblanos, serranos, and habenaros.

The poblanos plants are basically trees. Me for scale. They come up to my chin now. Taken on September 2nd.

Habenaro and serrano harvest from August 15th.

Pre-soup bell peppers:

Checking on the carrots in August:

One of the many tomato harvests. This one was made into marinara sauce.
Amanda Burkemper