Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 226310 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #900 on: October 22, 2015, 07:53:04 am »
Next year I'm going to grow some "mild hots", or versions of super hots that have only the flavor and a very mild heat. I found a mild habenaro "NuMex Sauve Orange" and a few peppers from Trinidad that supposedly aren't hot. I'm looking at Shis***os as well. Maybe next year I can get in on this hot sauce fun.  :D

This year I picked up a Craig's Grande Jalapeno which were not marked as mild jalapenos but turned out to be mild. They are barely hotter than a bell pepper. They have good flavor and not bland like the TAM milds but I need some heat. I'm not sure that plant will make the cut for next year's garden so I can plant something spicy but I would recommend it as a mild option.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #901 on: October 22, 2015, 08:07:35 am »
Well, pepper season is drawing to a close here. Just trimmed up the last producing plants to get them to ripen what is on them.

Our harvest so far:

I've probably gotten my $2 worth out of this plant, just by taunting my friends. The ghost pepper:

Myles' preparing some death sauce:

I helped make the green ones, but I can't be near the two on the right. Fermented one is poblanos (no seeds/pith) and mild-jallys. Next green one is poblanos, real jallys, and serranos. Red one is red jallys, red sorranos, and a few habenaros. Orange one is habenaros and 3 ghost peppers.

Next year I'm going to grow some "mild hots", or versions of super hots that have only the flavor and a very mild heat. I found a mild habenaro "NuMex Sauve Orange" and a few peppers from Trinidad that supposedly aren't hot. I'm looking at Shis***os as well. Maybe next year I can get in on this hot sauce fun.  :D

Peppers and sauces look great, Amanda ! I'd be all over the first three sauces, but I'm a little fearful of the last. I'm chile crazy but have decided that the ghost is more punishment than I deserve. Love habaneros, though.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #902 on: October 22, 2015, 08:18:53 am »
We grew ghosts last year that were not as incredibly hot as I thought they would be. Its interesting because I get really wide variations in heat from year to year. Last year and the year before our jalapenos were really hot, this year their not. Our anchos are WAY hotter this year than they have ever been. I need to learn a little about what conditions effect heat.

Anyway, great looking harvest Amanda.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #903 on: October 22, 2015, 08:31:29 am »
We grew ghosts last year that were not as incredibly hot as I thought they would be. Its interesting because I get really wide variations in heat from year to year. Last year and the year before our jalapenos were really hot, this year their not. Our anchos are WAY hotter this year than they have ever been. I need to learn a little about what conditions effect heat.

I've grown a lot of chiles and noticed the same thing, Pete. Except for serranos which have always been consistent for me. I see the serrano as a better jalapeno.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #904 on: October 22, 2015, 08:57:34 am »
I read, or saw in a YouTube video, that heat can be influenced by watering. Don't know how true it is.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #905 on: October 22, 2015, 11:31:45 am »
I drifted away from this thread for a while. My gardening update is that it went well for as hot and dry as it was. With all the fires I thought my peppers would come out Chipotle. But, in the end the deer got all but a few poblanos, and most of the tomatoes. In fact there were 4 big bucks on the deck one day chowing down on Mrs Klickitat's tomatoes. So the plan is venison tamales in a few days to see if the salsa flavor comes through.

Moved poblanos to the greehouse where they have come back to life and are still producing like crazy.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #906 on: October 23, 2015, 05:28:35 am »
Great to wake up with a Klickitatjim laugh. Venison tamales he says...
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #907 on: October 23, 2015, 08:06:21 am »
I love Jim posts. :)

I too am curious about what affects heat levels. Normally I can eat a poblano, no problem. The ones I grew this year (Tiburon) were incendiary for me. Probably about as hot as the Serranos we grew. Great in Kenji's black bean burgers, not good for me on kabobs. I'll probably grow less of those next year (had 5 trees this year).
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #908 on: October 23, 2015, 02:34:38 pm »
The tale I was always told is that dry conditions produce hotter peppers.  I have no idea if that is true or not.  It seems like it would make a little sense as more water and growth might cause the Cappacin (SP?) to be less concentrated but I have no science to back that up. 

I'm just ready for the work day to end so I can go get a beer.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #909 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:53 am »
The tale I was always told is that dry conditions produce hotter peppers.  I have no idea if that is true or not.  It seems like it would make a little sense as more water and growth might cause the Cappacin (SP?) to be less concentrated but I have no science to back that up. 

I'm just ready for the work day to end so I can go get a beer.

Paul
Anecdotal evidence to the contrary: it rained so much here in April - June that we had 30' rivers running through the backyard and garden. I didn't have to buy a timer for the drip irrigation until July.

I've read that same thing, it just didn't hold up.

I'm going with "it's a crap shoot". :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #910 on: October 24, 2015, 08:48:13 am »
With jalapenos especially, I've had peppers on the same plant vary greatly in heat. And of course chiles seem to be hotter on the upper half (near the stem) than on the lower half. Past that, I've never been able to figure out a pattern, though it would make sense that dry conditions would concentrate the heat.  I've grown in lots of rain, no rain, average rain - I haven't been able to notice a difference.
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #911 on: October 24, 2015, 03:01:56 pm »
I've always thought the reason for particularly hot peppers was dry weather after the growth period which requires a ton of water. Sort of like getting really flavorful tomatoes. Get them nice and big from all the water, then let them dehydrate on the vine. This would explain why mine, and so may others around me had such hot peppers this year.

But, I have had differences between peppers on the same plant. so what do I know.

Bought 16 heads of garlic at the market today to plant. Varieties were Asian Tempest, Translyvanian, and Kilareney Red. I also got various peppers on the cheap to make some more hot sauces. Ancho, poblano, ghost, lemon, and other habaneros. Since I can't brew at the moment (tore something in my knee), I need to brew something!

I've also been putting down black mulch to kill the grass off, so that I can triple the size of the garden next year. Pulling the tomatoes today. Always a sad time for me.
Kyle M.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #912 on: October 30, 2015, 05:42:14 am »
We've been done for a few weeks now.  Overall, a very good year for tomatoes and peppers, pretty much everything.  Even the leeks turned out well.  We made a ton of pickles and have plenty of roasted tomatoes for sauce.  Made chipotles and have some nice dried anchos and chile grandes for chili.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #913 on: November 03, 2015, 07:20:01 am »
I've also been putting down black mulch to kill the grass off, so that I can triple the size of the garden next year. Pulling the tomatoes today. Always a sad time for me.

We just had a freeze - finally - and I pulled my tomatoes as well.  End of October for maters is really strange but wow it has been a nice autumn.

Tell me about the black mulch...what is it and does it really work?

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #914 on: November 03, 2015, 07:22:48 am »

Huh, I thought I had missed the photos but apparently others can see....
How come I can see Vertical1 photos but not Amandas?