Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462975 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1725 on: December 11, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »

Yes, I generally use more charcoal during the late fall/winter/early spring months. Charcoal adds a significant cost to my longer smokes for sure.

That's why I love my electric smoker. After I got my first gas grill, I swore I'd never buy charcoal again and I think I've kept 99% of that promise to myself. If they made a good electric grill, I'd look into that as well. I've thought about making my own.

Different strokes for different folks.

Using charcoal and wood together produces more NO2 (sodium nitrate) and therefore a better smoke ring than electric and wood which equates to better flavor. This is the key difference not to mention cost which varies by consumption and unit cost. This all goes back to the quality over quantity debate. I recommend using the method of one's choosing but keeping in mind the end result may vary.

I'd argue that charcoal brings nothing to the party, except additional cost.  I can't really comment on the smoke ring, because I have little experience with charcoal. However, If it's giving you a flavor that you like then well.....I'll reserve comment.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1726 on: December 11, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »
I use lump oak charcoal and maybe a little pecan off the tree. The flavor is unparalleled. So GOOD I've cut way back on seasoning and normally just use salt and little pepper. .  As far as I can tell the smoke-ring also benefits from lower temps such as sub 200. So if you can keep your meat in this range for a couple hours you should see better ring creation.

I can see how an electric pellet smoker would be attractive- sounds easy to keep at stable temps even in coldish weather.

A colleague had asked me how I did a low and slow cook. I told him about the Minion method and promptly forgot about it. Last night he came and thanked me at great length and remarked how much easier it was to light one coal on top as opposed to the entire pile and keep the temps down. Evidently he had been setting the whole lot alight and even though it was offset he couldn't keep the temps low enough. ??? He says it now all makes sense. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1727 on: December 11, 2011, 08:53:17 pm »
I use lump oak charcoal and maybe a little pecan off the tree. The flavor is unparalleled. So GOOD I've cut way back on seasoning and normally just use salt and little pepper. .  As far as I can tell the smoke-ring also benefits from lower temps such as sub 200. So if you can keep your meat in this range for a couple hours you should see better ring creation.

I can see how an electric pellet smoker would be attractive- sounds easy to keep at stable temps even in coldish weather.

A colleague had asked me how I did a low and slow cook. I told him about the Minion method and promptly forgot about it. Last night he came and thanked me at great length and remarked how much easier it was to light one coal on top as opposed to the entire pile and keep the temps down. Evidently he had been setting the whole lot alight and even though it was offset he couldn't keep the temps low enough. ??? He says it now all makes sense. :D

One coal on top, really does make a lot of sense. Never considered that, but truthfully I never did that mush charcoal smoking before I went to electric. The electric smoker was dropped in my lap, so that was a big influence on my decision.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1728 on: December 12, 2011, 01:46:23 am »
I'm smoking some chuck roasts now to make those sandwiches markaberrant posted a couple of days ago.
http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Just off the UDS

After 3 hours covered in the oven, shredded, and another 30-40 minutes uncovered to reduce the liquid.  It tastes great, but finished way too late for dinner tonight.  So dinner tomorrow it will be :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1729 on: December 12, 2011, 02:17:44 am »
Looks fabulous. What was your time to reach 165? That chuck is like brisket but is twice as good.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1730 on: December 12, 2011, 02:35:50 am »
It was somewhere around 225-260 the whole time I think - I've noticed that the center of the grate is a lot hotter than the sides (which is where the thermometer probe is) so I can't say for sure what the temp was.  i knew it wasn't quite the same, but there's a much bigger difference when it's cold out.

Anyway, I'm going to say 4 hours to hit 165, it could have been 3.5 or 5 hours though.  I wasn't really watching the clock when I put it on. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1731 on: December 12, 2011, 07:21:49 am »
Great looking pics!  I am finishing up the last of mine for lunch today.

I bought 2 chucks roasts on the weekend - froze 1 to make a "stout stew" later, and the other is for Sauerbraten, which I know isn't Que, but is damn fine eating nonetheless, plus I add beer to mine.  I loosely follow Alton Brown's recipe, subbing out the water for beer, chuck instead of bottom round, I don't pre cook the brine, and I sear the meat after brining, not before:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sauerbraten-recipe/index.html

Give it a try if you have never tried it, Sauerbraten is definitely one of the most complex tasting roasts I have ever come across... the thought of making a plain old "pot roast" bores me to tears.

And just to get things back on subject, I have some Steelhead trout filets brining in a basic salt and sugar solution.  Will rinse and pat dry when I get home tonight, brush on a layer of maple syrup, apply my house rub, and onto the smoker with some apple wood.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:03:47 pm by markaberrant »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1732 on: December 12, 2011, 10:46:29 am »
Nice bark on the smoked beef...looks delicious Tom!

Thanks for the link to the Sauerbraten recipe mark...Iooks like a tasty one at that.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1733 on: December 12, 2011, 12:17:14 pm »
Mmmmmm... sauerbraten!  Hard to find good examples on this side of the Big Pond.

Mrs. Punatic inherited the ability to make awesome sauerbraten from her Bayerisch mother.  It's been a while since she made some.  Guess I'll have to see if I can get it back into the rotation.

Thanks for the reminder!

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1734 on: December 12, 2011, 12:33:52 pm »
That recipe looks good! And last night I was wondering what to do with all that tasty juice from the jar of home pickled jalapeƱos I'm about to finish. Sauerbraten came to mind even though I've never made it.

No idea it takes three days! And chuck instead of round?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1735 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »

3 racks of baby backs and a couple of pounds of Conecuh sausage
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #1736 on: December 12, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »
I can smell them way over here. When is dinner? ;D

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1737 on: December 12, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »
And chuck instead of round?

Yes, I and many others think it is a better choice for slow roasting.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #1738 on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »
I'd also chime in on the charcoal argument.  I am on the side that says charcoal makes a big difference flavourwise, even moreso if you let the drippings hit the charcoal (ie; don't use foil pan or water pan of somesort).  To me, this is a big advantage of using a UDS, others have stated the same.

I only use lump charcoal too.  I prefer a less processed product and it leaves way less ash behind.

This doesn't mean you can't make good product with electric or otherwise, but charcoal definitely adds to the flavour profile, where something like electric obviously doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:12:21 pm by markaberrant »

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1739 on: December 12, 2011, 01:51:42 pm »
I use strictly lump charcoal, I quit using briquets about 4 years ago and have strict orders from the wife that there will be no more briquets.  When I grill the juice falls on the coals, but for smoking there's no heat at all under the meat.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico