Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183109 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1365 on: May 17, 2023, 02:56:11 pm »

Another closeout was The Whistler Irish Honey. Oh my word was it sweet. Crazy sweet. Unbelievably sweet. Then later I actually read the label and it's a liqueur. I actually like a little of it as an end of night kind of palate cleanser/dessert. Anyway, it pays to actually read the label. I'm not going to part with it.

painful, i remember encountering that. one that comes to mind is metaxa, where the label just said "greek fruit brandy". it was incredibly sweet and tasted like fruit punch mixed with cheap brandy

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1366 on: July 16, 2023, 06:04:49 pm »
Finished off a Yellowstone American Single Malt Whiskey tonight. I love the products from Limestone Branch and while this is good, it just didn't trip my trigger. I read it's actually MGP juice. Anyway, I'd rather find a Scotch.

Also finished off a Heaven Hill Bottled-In-Bond 7 Year tonight. This is the rebranded BiB from them and it's terrific. I wish it wasn't 50 beans since it's delicious. I've been holding on to the dregs of the bottle a very long time since I didn't want to see it go.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1367 on: August 19, 2023, 06:10:30 pm »
Fill in the blank:

A neighbor saves you ~$2500 on a home improvement project and all he wants is a bottle of bourbon or scotch. So, you get him_____________
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1368 on: August 20, 2023, 06:16:05 am »
Fill in the blank:

A neighbor saves you ~$2500 on a home improvement project and all he wants is a bottle of bourbon or scotch. So, you get him_____________

I think a bottle of Macallan 18yo would be an exceptional gesture. Its one of my favorites!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #1369 on: August 20, 2023, 08:05:06 am »
I'm told Evan Williams is a decent bourbon at a low low price point. I dunno, I'm not a terribly huge bourbon drinker.

Evan Williams black label is always in my liquor cabinet. Damn decent Straight Bourbon at a reasonable price. Just picked up a bottle of their 100 proof Bottled in Bond and will also be trying their 1783 Small Batch and their Single Barrel.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1370 on: August 24, 2023, 07:26:41 am »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1371 on: August 24, 2023, 02:25:28 pm »
Fill in the blank:

If they saved me that much I'd get them MULTIPLE bottles. Not knowing their tastes and figuring it has to be something readily available most places I'd look for Scotch at a bottle Balvenie 17 (or 12 if you wanna be under a benny) or The Macallan 12. For Bourbon I think they'd be happy if you could find a bottle of Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength, Yellowstone Hand Picked 115 proof (red label), maybe a Wild Turkey Master's Keep or a Russell's Reserve, there are so many available now. I'd just pick your price point and go into the store and ask for suggestions if the staff is knowledgeable.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1372 on: August 30, 2023, 04:43:51 pm »

Fill in the blank:

Depends on their tastes. Probably Balvenie Port Wood 21 year. If he's a big fan of smoke, then the most expensive bottle that I can find locally from one of the coastal Islay distilleries.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1373 on: August 30, 2023, 04:50:07 pm »

Fill in the blank:

Depends on their tastes. Probably Balvenie Port Wood 21 year. If he's a big fan of smoke, then the most expensive bottle that I can find locally from one of the coastal Islay distilleries.

I have been searching for Balvenie Port Wood w/o luck! It has been on my list for some time. I am hoarding a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 yr and it is absolutely delicious and so far can only imagine how the port wood tastes.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1374 on: August 30, 2023, 07:04:17 pm »

Fill in the blank:

I have been searching for Balvenie Port Wood w/o luck! It has been on my list for some time. I am hoarding a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 yr and it is absolutely delicious and so far can only imagine how the port wood tastes.
I bought my bottle probably 20 years ago for $70. I won't have the last pour because I can't bring myself to pay 4 times as much for another bottle.

It's fantastic though. Smooth, light smoke, notable port character but not overpowering.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1375 on: September 11, 2023, 11:38:38 am »

It's a shelf turd here due to the cost of admission. Currently it's sitting at $350 so no one snags it. I splurged several years ago and have two bottles I got for much, much less. But when do I open them? I'm considering opening one of them once we finally get our house sold!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1376 on: October 03, 2023, 09:21:46 am »
enjoying Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1377 on: October 03, 2023, 03:08:09 pm »
Had a local group New Riff pick. Didn't care for it at all so I left it alone. Fast forward a couple of months and it's now quite good. Not sure exactly why allowing a Bourbon to sit after pouring some off seems to round out the rough edges, but often it does.

Opened a 2XO American Oak last night. Not a bad bottle at all. I need to hit it a few more times to pass judgement, but I'm currently feeling like it's worth the price of admission $49+tx.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1378 on: October 18, 2023, 08:51:51 am »
Yellowstone Toasted is delicious and $50. It should be everywhere soon. I suggest you seek it out.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1379 on: February 05, 2024, 02:16:41 pm »
Hate to not see posts on this thread. Finished off a bottle of Ezra Brooks 99 Rye in December. A tab bit sweet, but at 25 bucks a bottle it's affordable and tasty.