Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180548 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Whiskey
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:10 pm »
I goes into the closest SPEC's and ask for an entry-level whiskey. Walked out with some G. Dickle 8 classic recipe...

Is sour mash really an entry level whiskey? I was thinking of Canadian Club. Hell I could have picked Crown Royal.

Anyway I'm trying it straight. And indeed it is whiskey. I'm liking it. What should I buy next? For under $20.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:20:09 pm »
E,
get some G.Dickey Rye and pour a side by side compare taste.....
see what the rye brings to the front
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 11:32:55 pm »
Homebrewer you.  Make your own. 

Google UJSSM
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:29:46 am »
I'm a bourbon drinker. I love the stuff. I don't know prices where you are but probably the best lowest priced "passable" boubon you can buy that is ~20 is Maker's Mark. There's also Bulleit and Buffalo Trace and a few others I can think of.

Now, these are whiskeys that I am assuming you mean to drink on the rocks or neat, which is the only way whiskey should be consumed. The whiskeys you mentioned above are all whiskeys meant to be cut into other drinks like coke or what not, which I have little respect for.

You will find some solid offerings in the $30 range such as Knob Creek, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Woodford Reserve and then the stuff gets sublime from there but also sublimely expensive.

But I normally keep a bottle of Maker's around all the time because it is an easy drinking whiskey that satisfies a pleasurable evening of watching movies with family or smoking cigars in the hot tub but won't break the budget.

As a bonus: One of the nicest "reasonably priced" bourbons I have gotten to try lately is "Town Branch" which was around $30. What a treat, comparable to $40 and $50 offerings.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:58:10 am »
+1 to Maker's, Woodford, and Knob Creek - neat or on rocks.  Good stuff.
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:47:51 am »
Lately, I've been a fan of Knob Creek. We did a horizontal tasting of our small collection at home (Buffalo Trace, Makers, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig 12 and two others I can't remember...) and Knob Creek 100 proof was my favorite. A lot of good vanillin in that one.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Paule33

• 1st Kit
  • Iowa
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:04:36 am »
Maker’s is a darn good bourbon and I like it a lot. I also like Canadian whiskeys and Crown is a blend I prefer as of today. Templeton Rye adds a little spice and I guess I drink it because it is make in my home state and one of Capone’s favorites. Let me know if you find a good sour mash. I have had some really good sour mash whiskeys but most of them were clear and without a label  ;)  A friend of mine used to drink a lot of Templeton Rye but it was also somewhat clear. He was from there and told me that a lot of the locals claim to have the recipie.  :D
Paul S.
Member of AHA and
CRAZE  (Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts)

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  Humphrey Bogart

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:28:22 am »
Templeton Rye adds a little spice and I guess I drink it because it is make in my home state and one of Capone’s favorites.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Templeton Rye base spirit is made by MGP, a bioplastics food conglomerate, in Indiana. (95% rye, 5% barley) That base spirit is sold to several different brands to make several different whiskeys like Templeton Rye, Bulleit Rye, Willet, George Dickel Rye, etc.

So long story short, it may not be made in your home state.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 07:33:17 am »
+1 to Makers.  I always have a bottle around and as mentioned above, Knob Creek is really good too.  I also will grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace ($25) every now and then, which my wife prefers to Makers.  I also like Blanton's which I will pick up when my local store has it on sale for $36 (normally $45-$50).  Not too long ago I had Four Roses Yellow Label and it was pleasantly good for a bourbon that I've seen in stores for less than $20.     
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 07:56:51 am »
I'm told Evan Williams is a decent bourbon at a low low price point. I dunno, I'm not a terribly huge bourbon drinker.

My preference is for scotch. At Specs you might be able to find even a few single malt scotches below $30 (Glenlivet, Macallan 10 and sometimes 12, Glenmorangie, etc.) but blended scotches are certainly accessible in the $20s if not sometimes cheaper. I'm partial to Dewar White Label, Johnny Black, or Johnny Red for a blend but Cutty Sark and Chivas Regal are fine. Blended scotches are similar to Canadian whiskeys but IMO smoother but more flavorful, more like an Irish whiskey. However, when you get the $10 handle of blended scotch you're getting what you pay for. Can be mixed or drank straight.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Paule33

• 1st Kit
  • Iowa
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 08:16:29 am »
AmandaK your probably right. Just goes to show you can't always believe documentaries!  :o  It is bottled there...seen that  :)
Paul S.
Member of AHA and
CRAZE  (Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts)

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  Humphrey Bogart

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:22:26 am »
+1 for Bulleit, which I actually like a bit better than Maker's Mark. It's especially good in Alton Brown's egg nog recipe. My favorite bourbon though has to be Blanton's. At $50 per 750 mL it's not cheap, but it's really smooth with a nice vanilla character.

Speaking of Alton Brown, he recently posted a podcast with Julian Van Winkle owner of the Old Rip Van Winkle distillery. It's a really interesting discussion of bourbon (with a bourbon tasting afterwards) for those who are into that kind of thing.

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/10/the-alton-browncast-15-julian-van-winkle/

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:57 am »
I'm a bourbon drinker. I love the stuff. I don't know prices where you are but probably the best lowest priced "passable" boubon you can buy that is ~20 is Maker's Mark. There's also Bulleit and Buffalo Trace and a few others I can think of.

Opinions being what they are, and everyone having one and all that, I have to disagree somewhat here.

You can get decent bourbons under $20.  Ancient Age is, in my opinion, pretty damn good for the price.  Very Old Barton 100 proof needs a splash of water but is also a decent sipper.  Anything by Weller, though some of them push up over $20.  Weller is supposedly the same juice that goes into Pappy Van Winkle, which is much much pricier.

Makers is OK.  Probably better than OK, but not something I typically stock.  Not a huge fan of Buffalo Trace but it's OK, too.  You can do better for the money, IMO.

In the mid-$20s I like Wathen's and Elmer T. Lee.  In the pricier range, I enjoy Four Roses Single Barrel and Noah's Mill (bottled by KBD but distilled by others).  Shared some Blanton's with a friend last week and it was better than I recalled but still over priced (again, IMO).

I'm told Evan Williams is a decent bourbon at a low low price point.

I've heard the same, and have a bottle in my cabinet.  On the bottom shelf next to the Beam.  OK for mixing or using in a BBQ sauce or mop sauce.

Elijah Craig gets a lot of praise, too.  It's OK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Templeton Rye base spirit is made by MGP, a bioplastics food conglomerate, in Indiana. (95% rye, 5% barley) That base spirit is sold to several different brands to make several different whiskeys like Templeton Rye, Bulleit Rye, Willet, George Dickel Rye, etc.

You are not wrong.  Rye is a whole 'nother thread and I could go on an on.  Can't beat the Sazerac rye if/when you can get it. 

Here's a fun read which can maybe also give Euge some guidance on what to try next. 

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

I went on a budget bourbon spree last year (or maybe two years ago) and Ancient Age, VOB and Weller were the best of the bunch.  You can also check out StraightBourbon.com and other sites dedicated to whiskey.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 09:01:03 am »
Is sour mash really an entry level whiskey?

IIRC, most bourbons are sour mash.  Not all, but it's a typical process.

Also, some have wheat, some have rye added to the grain bill.  Different flavors and all that.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:33:13 am »

Opinions being what they are, and everyone having one and all that, I have to disagree somewhat here.

You can get decent bourbons under $20.  Ancient Age is, in my opinion, pretty damn good for the price.  Very Old Barton 100 proof needs a splash of water but is also a decent sipper.  Anything by Weller, though some of them push up over $20.  Weller is supposedly the same juice that goes into Pappy Van Winkle, which is much much pricier.

Makers is OK.  Probably better than OK, but not something I typically stock.  Not a huge fan of Buffalo Trace but it's OK, too.  You can do better for the money, IMO.

In the mid-$20s I like Wathen's and Elmer T. Lee.  In the pricier range, I enjoy Four Roses Single Barrel and Noah's Mill (bottled by KBD but distilled by others).  Shared some Blanton's with a friend last week and it was better than I recalled but still over priced (again, IMO).

I'm told Evan Williams is a decent bourbon at a low low price point.

I've heard the same, and have a bottle in my cabinet.  On the bottom shelf next to the Beam.  OK for mixing or using in a BBQ sauce or mop sauce.

Elijah Craig gets a lot of praise, too.  It's OK.

You are not wrong.  Rye is a whole 'nother thread and I could go on an on.  Can't beat the Sazerac rye if/when you can get it. 

Here's a fun read which can maybe also give Euge some guidance on what to try next. 

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

I went on a budget bourbon spree last year (or maybe two years ago) and Ancient Age, VOB and Weller were the best of the bunch.  You can also check out StraightBourbon.com and other sites dedicated to whiskey.

I agree that Ancient Age is not too bad rot gut, but it's not great and less than OK in my opinion. very old Barton is rot gut though. Shocked you find it acceptable. But just goes to show you different strokes....

I certainly don't think Maker's is a great bourbon, but is is great for the price. In fact, for the price and for commonly found bourbons I think it is about as good as you'll find.