Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423499 times)

Offline Beachside

• 1st Kit
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1770 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:24 am »
An IPA with Mosaic, Amarillo and Simcoe

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #1771 on: March 02, 2017, 10:09:19 pm »
Saturday will be 10 gal of vienna lager - shooting for something similar to Negra Modelo.  I will use a repitch of WY 2001 Pilsner Urquell yeast. Targeting 1.052 OG, 26 IBU, 11 SRM, and using Hallertau Mittelfruh (60 and 15 minutes) and grist from vienna, Best pils, flaked corn, light munich, caramunich, and Blackprinz to hit color.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1772 on: March 03, 2017, 09:41:19 am »
This weekend is a special bitter. I haven't made one of those in ages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #1773 on: March 03, 2017, 12:24:53 pm »
Brewing a hefeweizen for an upcoming competition.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1774 on: March 03, 2017, 12:43:10 pm »
Helles Exportbier on Monday.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1775 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:37 pm »
if the weather sux, might do an IPA - narrowing down to either Simcoe/Ekunaot, Galaxy/Ekuanot, or Chinook/Galaxy/Ekuanot.

If not IPA will be delayed a few weeks and then next weekend is a dortmunder export (2206 arrives tomorrow, gotta grow it up a bit first).
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1776 on: March 03, 2017, 02:25:43 pm »
Just kegged the first two batches fermented in my tiny house. There probably won't be many other batches fermented there once we actually move in because, well, it's tiny.

I split a mash with pils, munich, rye malt, and chocolate rye. Added some cold steeped chocolate rye and carafa to one half for a stout with american hops and us-05

the other half got WY-3068 for a roggenbier.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #1777 on: March 04, 2017, 01:46:51 am »
Just finished up a Belgian Pale; time for bed...

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1778 on: March 04, 2017, 11:18:56 am »
Just finished up a Belgian Pale; time for bed...

Nice clear wort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1779 on: March 04, 2017, 11:52:17 am »
Brewing for the first time today since November!  One of my longest dry spells in 27 years of brewing, mostly caused by the severe winter we had starting December 1, which buried my garden hoses under 2 feet of snow.  Finally spring is in the air.

Brewing 10 gallons of Bohemian pilsner.  Opened up a fresh pound of Saaz hops, they smell really, really good.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1780 on: March 04, 2017, 04:23:37 pm »
Im.gonna try freeze distilling a bottle of my sack mead. Just to see what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #1781 on: March 04, 2017, 04:26:45 pm »
Brewing for the first time today since November!  One of my longest dry spells in 27 years of brewing, mostly caused by the severe winter we had starting December 1, which buried my garden hoses under 2 feet of snow.  Finally spring is in the air.

Brewing 10 gallons of Bohemian pilsner.  Opened up a fresh pound of Saaz hops, they smell really, really good.

I hear ya, although here in Spokane I was able to get in a first brew 2 weeks ago.  It too was a Bo Pils and I opened and used a new lb of CZ Saaz pellets.  Were your hops moist upon arrival? 

I got mine from YVH just a week or so before brewday and when I got it the foil pak had lost its vac seal or never had one.  The hops smelled good but were very dry and not super aromatic.  I since ordered another 8 oz pack from them and again, it arrived loose pack or lost its seal, not sure which, and hops didn't clump at all (I felt them thru the foil pak).  I just vac sealed that and threw it in the freezer. 

I racked the beer to kegs last night and it tasted good so I think all is well.  I re-used the yeast today for a vienna lager.  I'm just curious what was going on with my 2 CZ Saaz orders and when I called them after the first purchase she just said they probably opened in transit -- sent via softpack priority mail.

Just wondering if that variety is typically dry and doesn't clump in the original packaging.

Happy spring brewing.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1782 on: March 04, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »
I bought my Czech Saaz hops from Hops Direct.  They are leaf, not pellets.  Pleasantly surprised that they were rated 4.0% alpha acid - the last couple of pounds I bought have been around 3%.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #1783 on: March 04, 2017, 09:12:51 pm »
I bought my Czech Saaz hops from Hops Direct.  They are leaf, not pellets.  Pleasantly surprised that they were rated 4.0% alpha acid - the last couple of pounds I bought have been around 3%.

Roger that.  Mine(2016 hops)  were 3.4%. No complaints.  I've bought lots of hops from Hops Direct, and have been to their site - great folks.  And honestly I got very good hop expression from the ones I bought from YVH - just trying to learn something.  Glad to hear things are melting in Helena.  My sister-in-law said they still have four feet of snow at their place just outside Kalispell.

The Beerery

« Reply #1784 on: March 05, 2017, 06:00:19 am »
Brewery plumbing reconfiguration.... added a pump, still got a few hours left...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk