Do you have an AHA membership?

Yes
748 (86.8%)
No
83 (9.6%)
No Pants
31 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 848

Author Topic: AHA Membership  (Read 169714 times)

Offline BrewInMind

• 1st Kit
    • BrewInMind
Re: AHA Membership
« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2019, 03:50:00 am »
Hi guys, i am new here  :) i see the thread is a bit old but maybe you can help me out. I intend to get the AHA membership and got a few questions, i couldn't find the answers around.

I am an international user being in Europe so i am going to go for the digital only membership cause of the extra shipping price for the printed magazine ("International member? Corresponding shipping fees apply." in the purchase page).

That made me wonder what i get and won't get especially about member only savings and exclusive events. I guess both are limited to USA related stuff, am i right?

The digital magazine, the app with recipes and the guides and expert advices sounds good enough anyway for me to go on  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:51:49 am by BrewInMind »

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #361 on: November 04, 2019, 10:20:18 am »
I am an international user being in Europe so i am going to go for the digital only membership cause of the extra shipping price for the printed magazine ("International member? Corresponding shipping fees apply." in the purchase page).

That made me wonder what i get and won't get especially about member only savings and exclusive events. I guess both are limited to USA related stuff, am i right?

For members outside the USA, the digital-only membership is the most affordable option.  You can access Zymurgy magazine online or via the Zymurgy apps and avoid the additional expense for international shipping of Zymurgy magazine.

While most of our AHA Member Deals businesses are based in the USA, we do have Member Deals locations outside the USA as well.  Most of the international deals come to us via suggestions from our international members.  You can send us your recommendations via the Brew Guru app or online https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-member-deals/request-new-aha-member-deals/.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline BrewInMind

• 1st Kit
    • BrewInMind
« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2019, 11:58:27 am »
Hi Gary, thanks for the clear answer. Fair enough  ;) I registered for the 30 days free trial (haven’t seen it before) and downloaded the app. Already seen some really interesting content inside.

Luca

Offline ranking

• 1st Kit
« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2019, 01:58:21 pm »
Top 11 Most Consumed Beer In The World | Area Ranking

https://youtu.be/u6mGeTEQ0dU

Offline NikFrees

• 1st Kit
« Reply #364 on: July 15, 2020, 10:18:56 am »
So yesterday i answered the poll with no, but after being highly recommended to do so, i did, and it does seem really beneficial, but i am now  ;D

Offline Brent

• 1st Kit
  • TenSpeed Brewer
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2020, 08:21:19 am »
I am currently a member, but my renewal is coming up shortly and I'm on the fence as to whether I will rejoin.
Reasons: Very little to no support for the Canadians. Not able to take advantage of any AHA member discounts.

I do like the magazine and access to recipes, so if I do renew I will probably go only one year and digital.

Cheers
Brent

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #366 on: April 22, 2021, 11:21:51 am »
Yes, I am an AHA member.  You have to be a member to serve on the Governing Committee.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2021, 04:49:46 am »
Tried signing up several times over the course of the past year. The web form would always throw an error. Tried again today and it went through. Seems to me it's only fair to support the site, even if you choose not to partake in the membership benefits. I get a lot of good discussion and insight on questions I ask here. The overall enthusiastic and friendly nature of the forums makes it worth coming back.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #368 on: October 26, 2021, 01:42:12 am »
I just re-joined after several years. I've now gone through several "layoffs" where I stop brewing, but I always seem to come back to it.

Shout-out to the former proprietors of the Brew Club in Santa Cruz, California, who sold me my first extract kit when I was an undergrad at UCSC in 1994. They started me on a life-long hobby.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #369 on: October 26, 2021, 05:55:49 am »
Tried signing up several times over the course of the past year. The web form would always throw an error. Tried again today and it went through. Seems to me it's only fair to support the site, even if you choose not to partake in the membership benefits. I get a lot of good discussion and insight on questions I ask here. The overall enthusiastic and friendly nature of the forums makes it worth coming back.

+1
Joined, lifetime membership.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 02:53:31 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #370 on: October 26, 2021, 08:52:12 am »

+1
Guilt got the best of me, feeling like a mooch.

Good on ya!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #371 on: October 26, 2021, 11:29:57 am »

+1

Good on ya!

Feels good doing it.
I'm almost 64, lets see how a lifetime membership works out. ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #372 on: October 26, 2021, 11:41:44 am »

+1

Good on ya!

Feels good doing it.

I've got a few years on ya
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #373 on: October 26, 2021, 04:35:18 pm »

+1

Good on ya!

Feels good doing it.

I've got a few years on ya

Me too, Denny!  As you recall we are 3 months and 4 days apart.  ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
AHA Membership
« Reply #374 on: October 27, 2021, 06:44:19 am »
I chose not to renew my membership a few years ago for several reasons. I know many here won’t agree and that’s OK. I’m not mad at the AHA or anyone that disagrees. I just chose to walk from membership and here’s why:

1. The BA is a trade group (aka political lobby). AHA falls under that umbrella as an advocate for the HomeBrew community. One of the advantages of the 501(c)(6) tax status is that it allows organizations to engage in unlimited amounts of lobbying. I don’t want or need to be a member of a political lobby. I likewise am not a member of the Army Aviation Association of America, the Association of the United States Army (or AARP ) for the same reason.

2. They don’t follow their own by-laws. Members are supposed to be aware of what happens at meetings thru published minutes. After bringing this to mgmt attention, instead of using the opportunity to communicate with their members to demonstrate the actions they are taking on their behalf, they grudgingly published minutes that were a useless outline as zero source of information. Once. They haven’t published minutes before or after that one useless time.

3. The Governing Committee is powerless. Members are made to feel as if they are voting for representation in meetings where decisions are made and issues resolved. From the clarification issued, that is a misunderstanding.

4. Conference presentations are a sales event. That’s OK as long as that’s what you’re looking for. While it’s true some presentations are given by enthusiastic homebrewers not trying to sell something, many more are simply selling the latest book, software, product, etc. The best presentations IMO are from those not selling something and are trying to pass good information for the good of the community.

5. Likewise, Zymurgy is a series of advertisements with a few beer articles thrown in between, along with lists of competition winners or upcoming events that require membership. After asked for recommendations for improvement, I suggested a Consumer Reports-style or America Test Kitchen-style equipment comparison series in order to help members navigate the pros and cons of similar pieces of equipment. I was told they can’t do that because they may offend advertisers if their equipment doesn’t come out on top. Advertisers pay the bills. I understand you can’t publish a magazine without cash but are they here for members or advertisers?

6. If clubs and competitions didn’t require membership in AHA, I imagine the AHA membership roles would be much much smaller. If you truly want to know who is the best home brewer, or want local home brewers to join your club, why limit membership to AHA members? I get it, membership numbers sell lobby influence. But if I don’t want to be a member of AHA I can’t be a member of a local club or submit a sample to a competition? Weird.

7. Despite having ~25% of membership by the published AHA demographics map, the in-person conference hasn’t been held in the South for more than a decade. They tried Nashville after a decade but COVID canceled it. NE, N, PNW, and W are well represented in past and future conferences. FLA was over a decade ago. Reasoning has been the various laws that prohibit the event in the South. I was told to change the laws myself. I thought this was a lobby organization. If I have to change the laws myself why be a member of a lobby? If I join a lobby why wouldn’t they work to get the laws changed or a variance to allow the event?  Again, weird.

…just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:52:33 am by BrewBama »