Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop You Hate  (Read 10889 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: The Hop You Hate
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2015, 05:53:19 am »
I'll also throw a lot of you into fits by naming EKG as low on my list, too.  It usually comes across to me like Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts or Asparagus. 
Interesting. Do you get that from any noble hops like Hallertau? I do get some herbal qualities from EKG, but it's never been overtly vegetal. I'm wondering if that's a sensitivity thing. I usually pick it up closer to black tea. I also get a great anise note from it that seems custom-fit to match the esters of so many English yeast strains.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2015, 06:04:19 am »
I'll also throw a lot of you into fits by naming EKG as low on my list, too.  It usually comes across to me like Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts or Asparagus. 
Interesting. Do you get that from any noble hops like Hallertau? I do get some herbal qualities from EKG, but it's never been overtly vegetal. I'm wondering if that's a sensitivity thing. I usually pick it up closer to black tea. I also get a great anise note from it that seems custom-fit to match the esters of so many English yeast strains.
I also get a distinct black tea from ekg. I'll have to see if I get anise next time because I think I know what you mean but might have lumped it in with the tea flavor. I made an English IPA with whole leaf EKG in a hop stand and dry hopped that tasted like iced tea.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 06:07:42 am »

I also get a distinct black tea from ekg. I'll have to see if I get anise next time because I think I know what you mean but might have lumped it in with the tea flavor. I made an English IPA with whole leaf EKG in a hop stand and dry hopped that tasted like iced tea.

I've always gotten that from EKG too, Pete - in a good way. I like EKG. Just don't brew as many British pale beers these days.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 06:08:34 am »

+1 herbal tea for me....but all EKG in my ESB is pretty tasty to me.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

narvin

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 06:31:58 am »

When I get tea-like flavors from hops, the common denominator seems to be that they're whole leaf.  I chalk it up to poor storage and oxidation with age.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 06:58:21 am »

When I get tea-like flavors from hops, the common denominator seems to be that they're whole leaf.  I chalk it up to poor storage and oxidation with age.
Maybe something happens during the importing process, but I get it commonly from a lot of English cultivars, regardless of pellet or leaf. Challenger is the biggest one, but EKG has quite a bit as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2015, 07:05:36 am »
I hate sorachi ace the most.  Tastes like Pledge.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 07:10:59 am »

These seemed fresh, I used them soon after their arrival and they were in the normal nitrogen vacuum thingy, and the taste I'm describing was awesome, not off.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 07:13:56 am »
Once all the craft newbies get finished with the newer ipa's, things are likely to come full circle back to Centennial and Cascade. They have really fallen by the wayside the last few years.

SN's Celebration will be out soon! (although I'm sure they changed the recipe this year ;D )

I don't hate any hops, but I won't use Belma or Calypso again. Calypso had a strange bitterness to it and Belma didn't seem to have any flavor.

From SN's website: "Celebration is bold and intense, featuring Cascade, Centennial and Chinook hops" -- well, that just crushed my theory about tracing beers I don't like back to Chinook, though there are years I have liked Celebration more than others, so maybe that's it!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2015, 07:32:05 am »
Hate Mosaic and Simcoe.  I have many cats.  I know what cat pee smells like.  I don't need it in my beer.

Love Sorachi Ace.  My Sorachi Ace IPA tastes fantastic.  BJCP judges do not agree with this sentiment.  Scored low 20s in two competitions in the standard IPA category, with all sorts of make-believe descriptors including "diacetyl" and "phenolic".  Sorry, jerks (not you, them), there's no diacetyl or phenols in this beer; you just don't like Sorachi Ace and you don't know why if it's not specified as a Specialty IPA, so then you make crap up so you can score it down.  Nice.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2015, 07:41:07 am »
Dave needs a hug

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2015, 07:56:52 am »
Can I hug you, Jim?  Are you offering me a hug?  Please?  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2015, 07:57:11 am »
Dave needs a hug

He's in quite the pickle liking a dill-flavored IPA.
Sorry, not sorry.  8)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2015, 08:01:04 am »
I really do think it's such a unique hop, it's a love it or hate it thing.
Dave

narvin

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2015, 08:01:27 am »

These seemed fresh, I used them soon after their arrival and they were in the normal nitrogen vacuum thingy, and the taste I'm describing was awesome, not off.

I'm thinking "bad" tea.  Astringent and grassy, almost papery like the smell of money. I've had this with Centennial before, so it's not limited to just English hops.  I think it may also be related to a bad harvest, or hops harvested too late.  Some of the local beers dry hopped with local hops from new farms had this exact flavor as well.