Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baseball 2016  (Read 23508 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Baseball 2016
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2016, 06:47:10 am »
If the pitcher ain't batting it isn't real baseball.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Well my team won it all last year and I'm pretty sure that was real.   Unless I wake up from a coma with the dead walking around or something and realize it was all a dream it was real baseball.
B Boy I like you, lets compare shall we. One of the greatest hitters in the history of the game was a pitcher. You have several pitchers who can hit and have been major assets to their respective teams in the past.

Are you talking about Babe Ruth or Stan Musial?

And let's not talk about pitchers being used a pinch hitters, like Don Drysdale to name just one.
Ralph R.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2016, 06:54:09 am »
I was talking about the Babe. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2016, 08:27:04 am »
As in the football reference, sports positions have all become more specialized and position specific. Nobody really wants the jack of trades players when they can have a superstar at every position($267M payroll, wtf?) If I was an owner, I would do everything I could to protect my superstar $20M pitcher in what ever way possible.
This is simply my opinion, and I don't follow a lot of baseball, unless the Tribe is doing well, but I think it makes good fiscal policy to protect your investment. I don't want another pitcher throwing a baseball up to 100 mph at a guy I'm paying over $10M a year.
Then again, I'm the guy who thinks it's ludicrous to need 162 games plus playoffs and a championship to figure out who the best team is.
Is you want purity, look at other sporting leagues around the world: 20 teams in a league. You play every team once at home and once on the road. At the end, whoever has the best record, is the league champ. Nothing else needed. No glorified, overblown spectacle of extended playoffs, including teams that could not even win their division, and a final game/series to then figure out who has held up the best throughout the season.
No popular thoughts here I know, just my $.02 when I hear about purity and "real" baseball and the like. Let the bashing begin

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2016, 09:20:31 am »
I will say one advantage to having pitchers bat is they can get plunked should they have thrown at a player previously.

I think baseball needs to stick with 162 games, it's what sets it apart from other sports. If anything, the parity of recent years kinda shows that it can take that many games to sort out who's best.

Then again, if I were in charge I'd can divisions and playoffs and return to the old pennant system. 162 games to sort out who's number 1 in both leagues, then a 7-game series for it all.

But that's something that would make less money, so they'll never do it.

I just don't want baseball to turn into the NFL.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:13 am »
It's a 5 game series now fellas with the Cubs having home field advantage. This is exciting! I hope they can win it at Wrigley if they do.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2016, 09:31:35 am »
It's a 5 game series now fellas with the Cubs having home field advantage. This is exciting! I hope they can win it at Wrigley if they do.

Schwarber is amazing. No way he should be doing this after missing the whole season. Pretty glad Theo turned down all the trade offers. ;)   You've gotta play him in the field, unless they're protecting a big lead.

Yes!!!!  Just had to sidestep the DH arguments and repost on Schwarber. Yeah, doing it at Wrigley would be unbelievable.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:04 am »
My office is about a half-mile from the field.  I'm just glad the games will be on the weekend, so I won't get stuck in game day traffic.  Friday might be crazy, but I can bug out early if I need to.  We're north of the field and I go north, luckily.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:53 am »

Either way, win or lose, you can be fairly certain Chicago will be in flames.

"Dammit...we just lost the World Series!  Let's burn something"
"Hooray...we just won the World Series!  Let's burn something"
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2016, 09:39:02 am »
We don't burn, we shoot.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2016, 09:44:24 am »
We don't burn, we shoot.
Right, these aren't Raider fans we're talking about.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2016, 10:04:54 am »
I will say one advantage to having pitchers bat is they can get plunked should they have thrown at a player previously.

I think baseball needs to stick with 162 games, it's what sets it apart from other sports. If anything, the parity of recent years kinda shows that it can take that many games to sort out who's best.

Then again, if I were in charge I'd can divisions and playoffs and return to the old pennant system. 162 games to sort out who's number 1 in both leagues, then a 7-game series for it all.

But that's something that would make less money, so they'll never do it.

I just don't want baseball to turn into the NFL.
I like the canning of divisions and playoffs if we can't(and I know they won't) reduce the season. Also correct that they'll never do it

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2016, 12:31:59 pm »
Yeah hell of an outing by Cub's bats and pitching last night.  One thing I know for sure is you wont see as many Indian's fans at Wrigley as you did Cub's fans at Progressive.....they cant afford it!!!

Going to be hard to shut down the pine of the Cub's...amazing talent and the mystique of Schwarber has just raised the level through the roof.

See Indian's taking 1 of 3 at Wrigley, then fight to win 2 at home.....ugghh  ???
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »
Yeah hell of an outing by Cub's bats and pitching last night.  One thing I know for sure is you wont see as many Indian's fans at Wrigley as you did Cub's fans at Progressive.....they cant afford it!!!

Going to be hard to shut down the pine of the Cub's...amazing talent and the mystique of Schwarber has just raised the level through the roof.

See Indian's taking 1 of 3 at Wrigley, then fight to win 2 at home.....ugghh  ???
Yeah, I don't think the Indians have much of a chance at Wrigley. Maaaaaaaybe 1 of 3, like you said. If the Cubs keep playing like they have been, the Indians don't stand a chance. There's just so much talent and they're such a great team. I've said it all year, I think the Cubs look like more of a team than they've ever looked in all my years of being a Cubs fan.
Jesse

Offline 69franx

« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2016, 03:40:31 pm »
Ken, just imagine what the Tribe would look like if our payroll even approached $150M, let alone $200M+

Frank L.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2016, 05:05:31 pm »
Ken, just imagine what the Tribe would look like if our payroll even approached $150M, let alone $200M+

I'd been fine this year if not for dropping 2 of our starting pitchers to injury...that hurts when you're playing for best of 7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale