Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer  (Read 19319 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2018, 08:27:48 am »
I mean, I don't care for helles, but I don't go around shouting about it!   8)
Too Budweisery for your bud palate?

I have yet to find one that didn't tatse too sweet and bland to me.  Just personal taste.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2018, 08:28:35 am »
It's so trendy to dislike IPA.  I'm not trendy.  I'd say at least 75% of the beers I drink are IPA.  I love them.  I don't find I get palate burnout.  i can easily drink an IPA and then switch to a more subtle style.  What's wrong with you people?  😉

Trendy, not trendy.. who can keep up with what is in fashion from month to month?
Pils to me though is like the little black dress of beers. Always in style.

Agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2018, 09:57:56 am »
That’s pretty I’ll grant you that. And nice photography too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the filters really set the photo off off   ;D

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2018, 11:54:25 am »
I adjust my beer brewing and drinking with the season Pale ales NEIPA, session ales , Kolcsh and loads of Hiefiwiezen in the summer, Stout porter. Dubbel, Bock and Alt Beer in the winter and fall I agree that if you are having multiple beers in a session start with the most delicate and work up to the bolder flavours Belgian Beers with lots of yeast characters and alcohol will also do a number on your palate Water and food between beers is also a must
We are lucky to be having this debate 30 years ago when I started brewing and drinking good beer was hard to come by and usually came in a green bottle from far away

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2018, 03:41:20 pm »
How does every topic derail into Kunze and German brewing? 🤦‍♂️
Why I’m not a big fan of these forums any longer.

I like coming here to see what everyone has to say regardless if I agree with them or not.
That some people take the time to back up their writing with sources, IMO, is a bonus.

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »
For those of you who love brewing pils as opposed to IPA, what liquid yeast do you recommend to use?  I've tried dry yeast with bad results so far.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2018, 04:21:59 pm »
For those of you who love brewing pils as opposed to IPA, what liquid yeast do you recommend to use?  I've tried dry yeast with bad results so far.
Weihenstephan 34/70, available as WY2124, WLP830, Imperial Global, and probably others.   (The dry W-34/70 is originally the same strain but does not behave like it at all!)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2018, 05:10:53 pm »

Czech Budejovice is a great one for pils that I've used.  2124 is also great (as mentioned above) but takes a little extra time to fully settle.

Offline Robert

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2018, 05:18:39 pm »

Czech Budejovice is a great one for pils that I've used.  2124 is also great (as mentioned above) but takes a little extra time to fully settle.
Hey stpug, 34/70 is indeed powdery (I just came upstairs from adding gelatin finings to a batch) but that does make it attenuate well and clean up after itself.  I've never used the Budejovice.  How does it compare to the 34/70 on temperature tolerance, attenuation, etc?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 06:33:08 pm »
Dilly dilly?

Take it easy...

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:27 pm »
I'm not against IPAs, but i will say a couple of weeks ago someone had a little keg of warsteiner...and I may have had a bunch of glasses...and I may have said...this is a really good change of pace.

Take it easy...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 07:15:21 pm »

Who's shouting? Read what I posted. I'm not a BIG fan of IPA any more. Didn't say i wasn't a fan - hell in the brewery I have a SMASH IPA, a IIPA, a regular IPA and I'm brewing a Pale Ale tomorrow. And buddy, FTR that will be approximately 4,495 gallons of IPA or pale ales that I have brewed since the first of the year. I just happen to favor the doppelbock I have on tap right now.

And I have some legitimate points (at least from a personal perspective). Even chap stick can throw the hops way out of character for me so that I can't figure out what the hell I'm tasting (or gum, candy, etc.) And they do ruin my pallet for other beers.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »
Dilly dilly?

I heard someone say this today. No clue what it means. I figured it was a millennial thing.

Sorry to interrupt the IPA vs Helles, who hates them more fight. Carry on

Offline Robert

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 07:39:32 pm »
Dilly dilly?

I heard someone say this today. No clue what it means. I figured it was a millennial thing.

Sorry to interrupt the IPA vs Helles, who hates them more fight. Carry on

Dilly dilly is a tag line from a Bud Light ad campaign.  Some brewery in MN (I think) named a beer Dilly dilly as bait, and got a C&D from ABI's lawyers -- best publicity they could ever get!  Latest I saw, they agreed to pay ABI a penalty for infringement on condition the Bud boys gave it to a specified charity.  Good press for ABI. Looks like they were in collusion from the start, no?  Maybe ABI will buy them now.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:29 pm »

Who's shouting? Read what I posted. I'm not a BIG fan of IPA any more. Didn't say i wasn't a fan - hell in the brewery I have a SMASH IPA, a IIPA, a regular IPA and I'm brewing a Pale Ale tomorrow. And buddy, FTR that will be approximately 4,495 gallons of IPA or pale ales that I have brewed since the first of the year. I just happen to favor the doppelbock I have on tap right now.

And I have some legitimate points (at least from a personal perspective). Even chap stick can throw the hops way out of character for me so that I can't figure out what the hell I'm tasting (or gum, candy, etc.) And they do ruin my pallet for other beers.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of SMASH IPAs, they just seem too...one note. I'll take the John Madden award for excellence in beer analysis now please. I need to start either brewing some 2.5 gallon batches of them or figure out a base hop+new hop recipe to do.