Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer  (Read 19322 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2018, 05:22:13 am »
I mean, I don't care for helles, but I don't go around shouting about it!   8)

Who's shouting? Read what I posted. I'm not a BIG fan of IPA any more. Didn't say i wasn't a fan - hell in the brewery I have a SMASH IPA, a IIPA, a regular IPA and I'm brewing a Pale Ale tomorrow. And buddy, FTR that will be approximately 4,495 gallons of IPA or pale ales that I have brewed since the first of the year. I just happen to favor the doppelbock I have on tap right now.

And I have some legitimate points (at least from a personal perspective). Even chap stick can throw the hops way out of character for me so that I can't figure out what the hell I'm tasting (or gum, candy, etc.) And they do ruin my pallet for other beers.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of SMASH IPAs, they just seem too...one note. I'll take the John Madden award for excellence in beer analysis now please. I need to start either brewing some 2.5 gallon batches of them or figure out a base hop+new hop recipe to do.

Thanks for your honesty. it was really helpful? ;)

Regardless, I'll sell the hell out of.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2018, 05:56:53 am »
Dilly dilly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard someone say this today. No clue what it means. I figured it was a millennial thing.

Sorry to interrupt the IPA vs Helles, who hates them more fight. Carry on

Dilly dilly is a tag line from a Bud Light ad campaign.  Some brewery in MN (I think) named a beer Dilly dilly as bait, and got a C&D from ABI's lawyers -- best publicity they could ever get!  Latest I saw, they agreed to pay ABI a penalty for infringement on condition the Bud boys gave it to a specified charity.  Good press for ABI. Looks like they were in collusion from the start, no?  Maybe ABI will buy them now.

Bud Light also sent them a pair tickets to the Super Bowl, presumably for some employees, but the employees decided to raffle them off for charity. 

The funny part of the story, which I hope means AB had good humor about it, is they sent a guy dressed in character from the commercials as a town crier who walked into the tap room, pulled out a huge scroll and read the C&D.  They agreed to change the name of the beer, and hopefully it ends there.  AB handled it as well as they could, rather than going all pitchforks and torches.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2018, 06:10:08 am »
Sorry to the OP! Didn't mean to turn this into an AB thread. Although I really was not familiar at all with that story.

I've been brewing on and off for a dozen or so years, wife, little kids, house...hard to get it in when wanted. The only few times I brew a year now consist of low hop brews. A bitter, a couple different types of Belgians and dry stouts. I don't have a lot of time to brew, and as much as I would love to experiment with different and new hops, I don't have the time at this stage in my life, so I actually kind of benefit from all of these different breweries going all in on trying it out for me. Will I blast them for being cloudy? Nah.

A couple months ago I read some article, maybe from nyt about how Wall Street brahs don't know anything outside of "dank juicy IPAs" in terms of craft brews...and that to me is sad. Perhaps this huge wave, I consider it the second, of IPA interest will eventually turn more people on to other styles. So in the end major, perhaps you'll end up getting more interest in non-IPA beers that you prefer.

Take it easy...

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2018, 06:12:26 am »
Dilly dilly?

I heard someone say this today. No clue what it means. I figured it was a millennial thing.

Sorry to interrupt the IPA vs Helles, who hates them more fight. Carry on

Dilly dilly is a tag line from a Bud Light ad campaign.  Some brewery in MN (I think) named a beer Dilly dilly as bait, and got a C&D from ABI's lawyers -- best publicity they could ever get!  Latest I saw, they agreed to pay ABI a penalty for infringement on condition the Bud boys gave it to a specified charity.  Good press for ABI. Looks like they were in collusion from the start, no?  Maybe ABI will buy them now.

Bud Light also sent them a pair tickets to the Super Bowl, presumably for some employees, but the employees decided to raffle them off for charity. 

The funny part of the story, which I hope means AB had good humor about it, is they sent a guy dressed in character from the commercials as a town crier who walked into the tap room, pulled out a huge scroll and read the C&D.  They agreed to change the name of the beer, and hopefully it ends there.  AB handled it as well as they could, rather than going all pitchforks and torches.

Saw the video of the character delivering the c&d -- was very funny!  Clearly Bud did see the little guy's stunt for what it was, and responded in kind.   Makes you wonder why they do "go all pitchforks and torches" when a brewer offends them completely unintentionally.   But these things go way back and aren't restricted to the likes of ABI.  It's anybody with a lawyer I guess.  20+ years ago we had a local issue.  There's a building, long housing restaurants, that's built to look like Independence Hall.  Guy opens brewpub there and names it (no brainer) Liberty Brewing Co.  Fine, until a few years later, Anchor's lawyers say Liberty Ale makes "Liberty" all theirs, and made them rename the brewery. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:17:15 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2018, 08:10:18 am »
I mean, I don't care for helles, but I don't go around shouting about it!   8)

Who's shouting? Read what I posted. I'm not a BIG fan of IPA any more. Didn't say i wasn't a fan - hell in the brewery I have a SMASH IPA, a IIPA, a regular IPA and I'm brewing a Pale Ale tomorrow. And buddy, FTR that will be approximately 4,495 gallons of IPA or pale ales that I have brewed since the first of the year. I just happen to favor the doppelbock I have on tap right now.

And I have some legitimate points (at least from a personal perspective). Even chap stick can throw the hops way out of character for me so that I can't figure out what the hell I'm tasting (or gum, candy, etc.) And they do ruin my pallet for other beers.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of SMASH IPAs, they just seem too...one note. I'll take the John Madden award for excellence in beer analysis now please. I need to start either brewing some 2.5 gallon batches of them or figure out a base hop+new hop recipe to do.

Thanks for your honesty. it was really helpful? ;)

Regardless, I'll sell the hell out of.

No, that's fantastic. It's honestly the best alternative for me. Instead of drinking 40 pints, I can just buy one. WIN WIN!

I guess I could also dry hop halfway through the keg to get some different hop character. THERE ARE TOO MANY SOLUTIONS FOR MY FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:11 am »
I never was a big fan of them.  I appreciate them, I will judge them, but I don’t seek them out.  If there is an especially good one recommended to me, I will try one - and I really appreciate places that allow for small pours for situations like this!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2018, 09:29:32 am »
Every once in awhile I will a get a craving for a nice classic west coast IPA. So of course I brewed one last weekend. I then got impatient and went out and bought a (fresh, wahoo!) 12 pack of Sierra Nevada torpedo and drank it all week... Now I'm burned out and don't want IPA anymore for a while.... dammit.

Offline BananaSlug

• 1st Kit
  • Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2018, 12:50:57 pm »
Every once in awhile I will a get a craving for a nice classic west coast IPA. So of course I brewed one last weekend. I then got impatient and went out and bought a (fresh, wahoo!) 12 pack of Sierra Nevada torpedo and drank it all week... Now I'm burned out and don't want IPA anymore for a while.... dammit.

Torpedo is actually one of the better ones IMO. Damn good considering its price.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2018, 07:26:40 pm »
I'm drinking a very nice pils right now, and cold-crashing a IIPA.  ACTUALLY, it's not a pils.  It's a pilsner-ale brewed with WLP029 and homegrown Sterling hops.  So now all of the pilsner freaks can tell me the error of my ways.  But, it's clean and clear and delicious, and I really don't care if it's not the ultimate "IT" pilsner.

Honestly, I'm not posting much anymore because this board (and the homebrewing community in general, as gauged by this forum) is becoming a bit too polarized for me.  A few years ago, everybody was all crazy with the IPAs, and it was like a competition to brew the ultimate.  Now the needle has swung to the polar opposite of IPA and everyone is obsessed with brewing the lightest and cleanest beer possible. 

Whatever happened to moderation, exploration, and inclusiveness?  I can enjoy a well-brewed IPA as much as a pilsner.  I think it gets to be a pissing contest of who can throw down the most obscure knowledge, and it's alienating in a sense. 

We've all advanced as brewers, and the discussion has advanced quite a bit in terms of complexity, but we've lost a lot of the joy in brewing, it seems.  Jim had it right when he posted about going back to the heart of brewing.  I'm sick of hearing about pils and LODO and German brewing texts.  And I feel like I can brew whatever the heck I want regardless of what the trend is.  People are getting too cliquish and deep in their own rabbit-holes.

Have a great day, fellas, sorry for raining on your parade.  I guess I just hit my breaking point. 

Big Monk

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:19 pm »
I'm drinking a very nice pils right now, and cold-crashing a IIPA.  ACTUALLY, it's not a pils.  It's a pilsner-ale brewed with WLP029 and homegrown Sterling hops.  So now all of the pilsner freaks can tell me the error of my ways.  But, it's clean and clear and delicious, and I really don't care if it's not the ultimate "IT" pilsner.

Honestly, I'm not posting much anymore because this board (and the homebrewing community in general, as gauged by this forum) is becoming a bit too polarized for me.  A few years ago, everybody was all crazy with the IPAs, and it was like a competition to brew the ultimate.  Now the needle has swung to the polar opposite of IPA and everyone is obsessed with brewing the lightest and cleanest beer possible. 

Whatever happened to moderation, exploration, and inclusiveness?  I can enjoy a well-brewed IPA as much as a pilsner.  I think it gets to be a pissing contest of who can throw down the most obscure knowledge, and it's alienating in a sense. 

We've all advanced as brewers, and the discussion has advanced quite a bit in terms of complexity, but we've lost a lot of the joy in brewing, it seems.  Jim had it right when he posted about going back to the heart of brewing.  I'm sick of hearing about pils and LODO and German brewing texts.  And I feel like I can brew whatever the heck I want regardless of what the trend is.  People are getting too cliquish and deep in their own rabbit-holes.

Have a great day, fellas, sorry for raining on your parade.  I guess I just hit my breaking point.

To be fair, we talk about Pale Ale, Trappist beers, Helles, Dunkel, Schwarz, Festbier, British Brewing texts, American brewing texts, Belgian brewing texts, process improvements, packaging methods, the importance of malt analysis, ingredient selection, equipment design, and our brewing software as well. And we share it all, for free. Just sayin’. 😉

This is of course wildly off topic. To the point that it’s likely to be detrimental. It’s a new day. The forum can move on or not. No use trudging up old stuff.

Offline Robert

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2018, 07:53:46 pm »
When I first sought out this forum I was over-obsessing, down rabbit holes,  trying to find my way out by digging deeper.  Jim's topics did indeed help me get my perspective back. But what I've learned since then is that, if you can keep your head on your shoulders, SOME of what we find down those rabbit holes can help you actually get back to that "heart of brewing."  Some of it can just be applied to make your brewing go smoother, or solve one little annoying problem, SOME of it can turn you on to something entirely new that brings you the sense of discovery  you had when you first started out. You just have to keep both your perspective AND  an open mind. Remember what Mom said:  "Well, if all your friends jumped off a cliff...."

EDIT  That applies to styles and techniques equally .
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:56:12 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2018, 08:10:21 pm »

To be fair, we talk about Pale Ale, Trappist beers, Helles, Dunkel, Schwarz, Festbier, British Brewing texts, American brewing texts, Belgian brewing texts, process improvements, packaging methods, the importance of malt analysis, ingredient selection, equipment design, and our brewing software as well. And we share it all, for free. Just sayin’. 😉

This is of course wildly off topic. To the point that it’s likely to be detrimental. It’s a new day. The forum can move on or not. No use trudging up old stuff.

You don't have to tell me about it.  I'm here almost every day.  I've brewed Helles, Dunkel, Schwarz, and Festbier.  I just kegged a Sumac Sour ale.  I appreciate homebrewing for the diversity it offers, and I think things have gotten too focused on certain styles, techniques, etc. because some brewers like yourself are the evangelizing, and it gets annoying.  I've brewed for 13 years now, and have been active on the forums all along.  I've seen many trends come and go, and all along have learned what I can and applied it to my own brewing as it fits.  I agree with a previous poster that it's crazy how every thread turns into a "Pilsner LODO derail".   

To be fair, I'm probably going to pick up some BTB and see what I think.  But quit beating me over the head with it.  It's a bit overkill. 

Big Monk

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2018, 08:14:36 pm »

You don't have to tell me about it.  I'm here almost every day.  I've brewed Helles, Dunkel, Schwarz, and Festbier.  I just kegged a Sumac Sour ale.  I appreciate homebrewing for the diversity it offers, and I think things have gotten too focused on certain styles, techniques, etc. because some brewers like yourself are the evangelizing, and it gets annoying.  I've brewed for 13 years now, and have been active on the forums all along.  I've seen many trends come and go, and all along have learned what I can and applied it to my own brewing as it fits.  I agree with a previous poster that it's crazy how every thread turns into a "Pilsner LODO derail".   

To be fair, I'm probably going to pick up some BTB and see what I think.  But quit beating me over the head with it.  It's a bit overkill.

You sound frustrated and it wasn’t my intent to antagonize you. The point is that it’s not a one trick pony thing. I don’t even brew lagers. Your post and the meaning within is noted. I’ve learned to only post on things where the information is useful in furthering a conversation.

On the topic of IPA, I’ve found that having a few commercial favorites, such as Ithaca Flower Power, Uinta Hop Nosh, Harpoon IPA, etc. gives me some staples to enjoy when I need to scratch that itch. I’ve never brewed the, myself.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:20:36 pm by Big Monk »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:14 pm »

You can make a great beer/Pilsner with a clean yeast
 and Sterling hops. Two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:49:29 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2018, 09:30:43 pm »
I have been brewing for over 10 years and the one style that I always go back to and brew the most is IPA. I’ve gone through phases of English, Scottish, Belgian, Sour, and German beers and I always find myself coming back to American IPA’s. It’s the one style that I never get sick of and I prefer the West Coast IPA. I’ve tried the commercial NEIPA’s and have even made some, but they seem to have hop harshness to me. I like a firm bitterness up front followed by hop/malt  flavor. Even though I brew IPA most often, I still like variety and need a break from hoppy beers.
 I think the frustration for me can come from balancing the science and art/creativity. I’m a science teacher, but the science part of brewing doesn’t interest me as much as the artistic side of creating recipes and playing with different styles, ingredients, and techniques. Science needs creativity in order to advance and creativity needs science to be grounded.
     I think some people are feeling more hesitant to post lately in fear that things will get derailed into the same debates over and over again. Sometimes you need a guy like Jim to remind us that it is still fun to be able to make our own beer at home and enjoy the rewards.

Dan Chisholm