Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is cooking today?  (Read 42717 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What is cooking today?
« Reply #450 on: July 23, 2023, 08:51:08 am »
Yum! I picked up a pellet smoker a couple months ago. I have some practice to do to perfect my rib game.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #451 on: July 23, 2023, 03:22:32 pm »
Yum! I picked up a pellet smoker a couple months ago. I have some practice to do to perfect my rib game.

not sure your level of skill re: ribs, but imho its simple but time consuming

-clean off ribs (i in fact DO wash my meat sometimes), add dry seasoning including salt, let sit for 12 to 24 hours in fridge.
-wrap ~6 inch long sections in tinfoil, cook and keep temp around 225F for 6 hours
-finish off at 400f up to 500F for 20 to 40 mins with sauce basted on or not.

i find this does the job consistently. still playing around a lot with sauces, rubs or no sauces since here in canada there is a lot less "you MUST do it this way" than regions in america with a rib/bbq tradition

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #452 on: July 23, 2023, 04:29:03 pm »
I imagine there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

For example, that’s not how I smoke ribs: I fire up the smoker and while the fire is starting I peel and rub the ribs (~.5 hrs until the fire is ready),  put the ribs on 1.5 hrs 275-300°F, add basting liquid, double wrap them in foil, back on for 1.5 hrs, then uncover and back on not more than .5 hrs.

3.5 hours max grate to plate. Basta.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #453 on: July 26, 2023, 06:01:11 pm »
I smoke Baby Backs at 225F until they hit 193-195 internal and pass the bend test. I just use a dry rub, no sauce, and I keep them uncovered the whole way. I spray them with apple juice every 30 minutes or so once they pass the stall (once they hit about 172F).

I like fruit wood pellets (plum, cherry, peach) the best for ribs, but nut woods like hickory and pecan are really nice too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #454 on: July 26, 2023, 06:20:09 pm »
im listening to both those methods, but definitely like the idea of apple juice or apple vinegar+juice+sugar etc as a spray. i actually enjoy cold or not-so-hot smoking smaller fish since its very hard to get that kind of stuff nowadays. my kid actually loves smoked mackeral as much as anything. i'd recommend trying it. its more forgiving than you'd imagine

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #455 on: July 26, 2023, 10:33:52 pm »
im listening to both those methods, but definitely like the idea of apple juice or apple vinegar+juice+sugar etc as a spray. i actually enjoy cold or not-so-hot smoking smaller fish since its very hard to get that kind of stuff nowadays. my kid actually loves smoked mackeral as much as anything. i'd recommend trying it. its more forgiving than you'd imagine
I've been tempted to try to rig up my smoker to cold smoke some cheese, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Cold smoking fish intrigues me, but I don't know if I feel as comfortable cold-smoking something perishible until I know I can keep temps low enough for the whole smoke.

I've done cider vinegar as a spray in the past, but I prefer juice since the acidity can kinda build up over time. I like the idea of diluting it with juice, though. I might give that a try some time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #456 on: July 27, 2023, 08:57:09 am »
I've been tempted to try to rig up my smoker to cold smoke some cheese, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Cold smoking fish intrigues me, but I don't know if I feel as comfortable cold-smoking something perishible until I know I can keep temps low enough for the whole smoke.

I've done cider vinegar as a spray in the past, but I prefer juice since the acidity can kinda build up over time. I like the idea of diluting it with juice, though. I might give that a try some time.

I smoke cheese on my pellet smoker by setting it on a rack over a pan of ice to keep the temp down. Smoker is set to 160F

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #457 on: July 27, 2023, 10:37:18 am »

I smoke cheese on my pellet smoker by setting it on a rack over a pan of ice to keep the temp down. Smoker is set to 160F
I smoke cheese in my smoker, but the heat is at least 12 feet away from the box, connected by 4 inch dryer duct.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #458 on: July 27, 2023, 11:08:17 am »

I smoke cheese in my smoker, but the heat is at least 12 feet away from the box, connected by 4 inch dryer duct.

I've considered modifying my smoker to something similar to what you do, but at this point I've been getting good results without the extra effort!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2023, 10:35:51 am »
Well not today but maybe today! In my quest to venture into another hobby (like I need another one) I have been purchasing whole primal cuts or in this case not an entire primal to teach myself how to extract different cuts from these larger primals. I was going to smoke them whole but decided to cut them down in size. Some people call them Dino ribs but they are basically short ribs. Comes from the same area where you would get bacon if this was pig. Beefy bacon I guess. Anywhoot, if I get around to smoking these bad boys I’ll post another photo. Ohhh and I trimmed off a good amount of quality fat for sausage making!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2023, 11:14:31 am »
First go at baby back ribs on my smoker

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2023, 12:36:45 pm »
Well not today but maybe today! In my quest to venture into another hobby (like I need another one) I have been purchasing whole primal cuts or in this case not an entire primal to teach myself how to extract different cuts from these larger primals. I was going to smoke them whole but decided to cut them down in size. Some people call them Dino ribs but they are basically short ribs. Comes from the same area where you would get bacon if this was pig. Beefy bacon I guess. Anywhoot, if I get around to smoking these bad boys I’ll post another photo. Ohhh and I trimmed off a good amount of quality fat for sausage making!!

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/galbi-jjim

i make this about once every 2 months

today i smoked mackeral and am using the remaining bbq heat to cook sweet potatoes

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2023, 01:10:50 pm »

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/galbi-jjim

i make this about once every 2 months

today i smoked mackeral and am using the remaining bbq heat to cook sweet potatoes

I have tried some of this lady's recipes especially her Korean chic wings!! She has solid authentic recipes!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #463 on: August 19, 2023, 08:01:10 pm »

I have tried some of this lady's recipes especially her Korean chic wings!! She has solid authentic recipes!

she has the best korean recipes on the english internet, however she moved away from korea at least 20 years ago, and imho there has been a huge emphasis since then on moving away from instant ingredient additions/msg powders (some of her recipes have that), and idk how to describe it except that her versions are generally simpler/more frugal in ingredients than what would be found in korea from 2015-present.

but they are definitely solid at their core, and she covers almost every recipe i can possibly think of

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #464 on: August 26, 2023, 06:12:52 am »
Cedar plank bacon wrapped meatloaf