Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586100 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #1800 on: June 30, 2016, 08:21:52 am »

1968 Best bitter, 1318 Best bitter, (the two were a spilt batch) and my American (pale) Mild. The mild is still getting clearer, the other two have hop haze from the Saaz I keg hopped them with.
Sounds good. Have you found 1318 to be very slow to clear? I've noticed this in every beer I've brewed with it and I always pitch fresh top cropped yeast. Maybe that's why... But it's a wonderful yeast, one of my favorites now.
Jesse

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #1801 on: June 30, 2016, 10:50:26 am »
Yeah, even after adding the gelatin it took longer to all settle out than the 1968 did.

I finally have some good directions for using isinglass, so I may try that on 1318 in the future to see if it works any better.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1802 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:16 am »
Yeah, even after adding the gelatin it took longer to all settle out than the 1968 did.

I finally have some good directions for using isinglass, so I may try that on 1318 in the future to see if it works any better.
Not that it bothers me, a slight haze is okay. Certainly not going to use gelatin again though. I go through phases with it, but now I think I'm just plain done using it.
Have you top cropped before? It's amazingly fun and 1318 is great yeast for it.
Jesse

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #1803 on: June 30, 2016, 11:31:36 am »
Not that it bothers me, a slight haze is okay. Certainly not going to use gelatin again though. I go through phases with it, but now I think I'm just plain done using it.
Have you top cropped before? It's amazingly fun and 1318 is great yeast for it.

I'm with you, a little haze isn't an issue. Heck, the bitters are back to having a little haze with te keg hops and all.

I didn't notice any ill effects of using gelatin in these beers, so I'll probably continue to use it. However, if isinglass works incredibly better, then it may be worth switching to.

Haven't top cropped yet. That's actually why I tried this yeast, I wanted to see how it compared to 1968 in flavor. I still ferment in glass carboys, so top cropping isn't going to work yet, but I've got some ideas for the future.

I really like the idea of some sort of open fermentation rig that can be skimmed/aerated along the lines of a Yorkshire square, but I've got several experiments planned to determine if that's worth it or not. You ever see pictures of open fermentors in some British breweries with really fluffy krausen on top? CAMRA's "Brew your own real ale" book insists that this is not only possible in the homebrewing environment, but crucial to getting the desired flavors from the yeast. The downside is this can lead to too much yeast being in the beer, but that's where skimming or some other way to remove some of the yeast comes into play.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1804 on: June 30, 2016, 03:25:32 pm »

2565 Kolsch.  Pretty tasty on a day like today.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1805 on: June 30, 2016, 03:26:57 pm »
Looks great Jon, I gotta get one of those on the brew schedule sooner or later
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1806 on: June 30, 2016, 03:35:04 pm »
Thanks, Frank. It's a pretty darn good style on a hot day.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1807 on: June 30, 2016, 04:31:32 pm »
Looks great, Jon.

Phil, definitely give top cropping a try when you get a chance. I ferment in buckets now, used to ferment in carboys for a long time, but wanted to ditch glass. I plan to get an SS brewtech bucket soon... top cropping is super fun. I really really wish top cropping lagers was possible... I'm almost tempted to skip using lager yeast and using a clean ale yeast, like 1007 for my lager styles just so I can continue top cropping for the fresh yeast. I'm going to do it for a while anyway, see how I like those styles with a German ale yeast instead of a lager yeast. Why not? That's why homebrewing is cool as hell!
Jesse

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1808 on: July 01, 2016, 08:29:48 am »

My Eldy the Pliner finally cleared up after two weeks in the fridge (no gelatin). Made it for my wife who is a total hophead but wishing I would've made half as much as she doesn't drink much and I'm not a huge fan of IIPA to begin with. There are worse problems to have I suppose.  ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1809 on: July 01, 2016, 08:33:43 am »
Nice looking beer.
Jon H.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #1810 on: July 01, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »
Centennial Blonde for the 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1811 on: July 01, 2016, 01:30:25 pm »

Gorgeous. Just picked up some 2565 for a kolsch brew soon. Plan on giving my Munich Helles grain bill a shot with the kolsch yeast (86% pils/14% kolsch malt).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1812 on: July 01, 2016, 02:39:26 pm »

Gorgeous. Just picked up some 2565 for a kolsch brew soon. Plan on giving my Munich Helles grain bill a shot with the kolsch yeast (86% pils/14% kolsch malt).

Thanks, man. I should've wiped off the condensation - it's crystal clear. I used 76% Pils, 19% Kolsch, and 5% chit. Takes the 2565 a while to clear but it's worth it to me.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1813 on: July 01, 2016, 02:41:11 pm »
Centennial Blonde for the 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks and sounds good!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1814 on: July 01, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »
Jon,

Where did you get the chit malt from?