Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586309 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4785 on: April 03, 2022, 05:13:50 pm »

Kölsch-style ale...this one is brewed with 95% Viking pilsner malt, 5% Carahell, Edelweiss hop blend at 60, 10, and 5 minutes, and Lallemand's kölsch yeast. It turned out great, although I should have kegged it a touch sooner, because the hop character has faded a bit by this point (I brewed it three months ago, and I got busy, so it sat in the fermenter for close to two months). That aside, it's a really drinkable beer for a warm afternoon.

I've now done kölsch with both K97 and the Lallemand dry strains. I know some people are super negative on K97, but I'm...fairly OK with it. K97 definitely ferments a bit fruitier and takes a little longer to drop clear, which may or may not be what you want. The Lallemand version is almost too clean...I fermented it at 64 degrees, so it may have a little extra character at higher temperatures. In any case, I'm glad to have a more concrete mental comparison for the two.

All the details are on my blog: https://andybrews.com/2022/04/03/kolsch-simplicitas/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:15:46 pm by Andy Farke »
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4786 on: April 03, 2022, 05:17:42 pm »
No sun today.  In fact it's snowing big flakes right now.  But I do have spring training baseball and I have pilsner made with Edelweiss hops and Omega 113.  Pardon the plastic cup.  I'm painting and doing some other projects at home today and I am far too clumsy and will kill one of my good glasses.  :D

Looking nice! And I bet it tastes even better...thanks to the good words from you and others, I bought some Edelweiss hop blend last year, and have really been loving it. I love it so much I've almost burnt myself out on it! The floral aroma is amazing. Time to rotate a few other hops in to keep the Edelweiss magic alive...
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4787 on: April 03, 2022, 05:25:37 pm »

First pull of my imperial hazy piña colada ipa. Sort of a mature not overly sweet approach. I’m loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4788 on: April 03, 2022, 05:34:27 pm »

A beer I made for a gluten intolerant coworker treated with enzyme to reduce the gluten that was a huge success! Pilsener, grits and honey with Apollo and Sorachi Ace finishing hops. It was delicious and 3.3% abv that didn’t last long.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4789 on: April 03, 2022, 05:42:28 pm »

Golden stout. I get a lot of people probably hate the idea of this but it turned out great. The homemade amber malt, toasted oat flakes, and roasted nibs made this a fun one to make.

Looks better than most of my beers that have been in the keg for a day.

No hate here for anything but the name, stouts have too be dark according to dogma. Then again who gives a rip what any beer is called so long as it’s brewed from the soul! Screw what anyone thinks, if it taste good drink it!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4790 on: April 04, 2022, 10:43:37 am »
No sun today.  In fact it's snowing big flakes right now.  But I do have spring training baseball and I have pilsner made with Edelweiss hops and Omega 113.  Pardon the plastic cup.  I'm painting and doing some other projects at home today and I am far too clumsy and will kill one of my good glasses.  :D

Looking nice! And I bet it tastes even better...thanks to the good words from you and others, I bought some Edelweiss hop blend last year, and have really been loving it. I love it so much I've almost burnt myself out on it! The floral aroma is amazing. Time to rotate a few other hops in to keep the Edelweiss magic alive...
As a fan of German beers and lagers in general, learning about Edelweiss and using it on brewday is like the sun coming out after a week of clouds.  Always fresh and aromatic, it's another tool in our toolbox.  I just picked up some Hallertau Mitt, Tettnanger and Mandarina Bavaria from YVH and plan to use those in some upcoming lagers too.  I also MUST mention that some fresh Liberty I got from YVH were so good that I used some in a pilsner, "American Lager" and helles and they're spectacular.  American, yes but fresh and noble-like enough to use as you would the best German hops, IMO.  Cheers Andy.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4791 on: April 04, 2022, 10:48:57 am »

A beer I made for a gluten intolerant coworker treated with enzyme to reduce the gluten that was a huge success! Pilsener, grits and honey with Apollo and Sorachi Ace finishing hops. It was delicious and 3.3% abv that didn’t last long.
Man, that is gorgeous. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4792 on: April 04, 2022, 12:41:49 pm »

Golden stout. I get a lot of people probably hate the idea of this but it turned out great. The homemade amber malt, toasted oat flakes, and roasted nibs made this a fun one to make.

No hate here for anything but the name, stouts have too be dark according to dogma. Then again who gives a rip what any beer is called so long as it’s brewed from the soul! Screw what anyone thinks, if it taste good drink it!

Yeah I call it that just because of the commercial example I've had usually use terminology similar to that. I am in no way insinuating that it is actually a stout.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4793 on: April 04, 2022, 01:41:51 pm »

Yeah I call it that just because of the commercial example I've had usually use terminology similar to that. I am in no way insinuating that it is actually a stout.
I have run across these in competitions before, when they state "white stout" but don't really go into any detailed description.  I don't know if I'm supposed to know, as if it is common knowledge, if I'm supposed to search the interwebs or what.  There's roast from coffee beans, right?  Are there spices like coriander and orange peel?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4794 on: April 04, 2022, 01:58:52 pm »

I have run across these in competitions before, when they state "white stout" but don't really go into any detailed description.  I don't know if I'm supposed to know, as if it is common knowledge, if I'm supposed to search the interwebs or what.  There's roast from coffee beans, right?  Are there spices like coriander and orange peel?

White stout recipe and info in Experimental Homebrewing
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4795 on: April 06, 2022, 02:11:26 pm »
100% Rahr North Star pils malt, 35 IBU's with Galena, fermented with bootleg biology saison parfait yeast blend OG 1.048, FG 1.002. It had good foam until I started drinking it after eating potato chips
https://imgur.com/a/D5hqEM8

Offline fsmmod@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4796 on: April 08, 2022, 06:13:36 am »
Berliner Weiss. Crisp, tart, and refreshing at 3.9%.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4797 on: April 08, 2022, 07:58:25 am »
Berliner Weiss. Crisp, tart, and refreshing at 3.9%.
That looks great.  Well done. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4798 on: April 09, 2022, 11:59:15 pm »

OYL006 Bitter, no its not hazy, just the pic

Offline tommymorris

Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4799 on: April 10, 2022, 06:01:46 am »
Amber Lager from yesterday.  This one has Pils, Redx, C80, and a smidge of Dark Chocolate for color. Amarillo through out. Charlie’s Fist Bump yeast.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 06:05:21 am by tommymorris »