Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586274 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4845 on: May 29, 2022, 05:39:58 pm »
The Blonde Ale I brewed for the Big Brew. A nice pint for Memorial Day cookout.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4846 on: May 29, 2022, 05:45:23 pm »
The Blonde Ale I brewed for the Big Brew. A nice pint for Memorial Day cookout.

Looks great and I know it tastes great.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4847 on: May 30, 2022, 04:49:38 pm »
American Dark Ale with Northern Brewer and S-04...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4848 on: May 30, 2022, 06:02:21 pm »

Willing to share the recipe?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4849 on: May 30, 2022, 07:29:37 pm »
Willing to share the recipe?
Always.

50% Rahr Pale Ale
46% Weyermann Pale Wheat
3% UK Dark Crystal (this was 160°L... I think it was Baird's)
1% Midnight Wheat (which was 2 ounces and held until after the mash and then added to the MT prior to the recirc)
27 IBUs of Northern Brewer at the start of the boil.  I boil for 30 minutes so for me it was 1.3 ounces at 7.4% (I think)
S-04.

The other thing is that I have noticed that a darker beer can benefit from a smidge more sulfate than other beers.  It will make the finish crisper.  A darker beer has a tendency to be muddy if the water favors chloride too much so here I added a gram of CaSO4 to the strike water and I typically don't add any because my source water already favors sulfate.  It came out exactly as I hoped.  Cheers Iliff Ave. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:05:56 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4850 on: May 30, 2022, 08:20:36 pm »

you've been using a lot of S-04 lately. you might have said in another thread, but thoughts? i had varied experiences with it many years ago, but i had much poorer brewing conditions then. was thinking of it potentially some day

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4851 on: May 30, 2022, 08:53:28 pm »
you've been using a lot of S-04 lately. you might have said in another thread, but thoughts? i had varied experiences with it many years ago, but i had much poorer brewing conditions then. was thinking of it potentially some day
I moved in November of last year and it took me awhile to get back to brewing.  I had kegs that were cold that whole time but eventually my stock was getting low.  As a result I wanted to be able to make a good number of batches quickly so I chose S-04.  I like it.  Every one of the beers I have made with it has been excellent.  I fermented cool and then warmed it up to make sure there was no diacetyl.  I have not had diacetyl on any of these.  I made seven batches with S-04 and every one of them went from brewday to keg in 7-9 days.  Pale Ale, Blonde Ale, Dark Ale, American Wheat, Cream Ale, another pale ale and a bitter.  I pitched one packet into the first batch and used the slurry for the subsequent batches.  It starts and finishes quick, drops like a rock and the profile is very clean.  Some may pick up some bready English character and that's okay with me... I like that profile.  I would not hesitate to use it again. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4852 on: May 31, 2022, 10:03:34 am »
My experiences with S-04 echo Ken's.

Ken, any chance you'd be willing to share that wheat recipe as well?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4853 on: May 31, 2022, 10:12:33 am »

Sure:

50% Montana Craft Malt Pilsner (I was out of 2-row but it would work just fine)
48% Weyermann Pale Wheat
2% Briess Copper Malt (I like this malt.  It has some color and gives the beer a malty depth)
25 IBUs of Loral at the start of the boil which was .87 ounces @ 10.2% for 30 minutes
S-04.

I thought of Loral because it's supposed to bring some lemon (it doesn't) and I thought a wheat beer was a good application.  There was a long discussion regarding "American Wheat" sometime last year.  There were a number of people who thought Oberon, maybe Blue Moon, Shock Top type of things, etc.  Beers in the Hoegaarden zip code, etc.  I am not about funky yeast character or coriander, etc.  I could see using some sweet or bitter orange peel but instead I wanted a refreshing beer with a clean character.  I could easily drink it plain but I also had many glasses with a lemon wedge in it which was great.  Super simple, straightforward, refreshing and oh-so smashable.  :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:26:56 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4854 on: May 31, 2022, 11:02:57 am »

I moved in November of last year and it took me awhile to get back to brewing.  I had kegs that were cold that whole time but eventually my stock was getting low.  As a result I wanted to be able to make a good number of batches quickly so I chose S-04.  I like it.  Every one of the beers I have made with it has been excellent.  I fermented cool and then warmed it up to make sure there was no diacetyl.  I have not had diacetyl on any of these.  I made seven batches with S-04 and every one of them went from brewday to keg in 7-9 days.  Pale Ale, Blonde Ale, Dark Ale, American Wheat, Cream Ale, another pale ale and a bitter.  I pitched one packet into the first batch and used the slurry for the subsequent batches.  It starts and finishes quick, drops like a rock and the profile is very clean.  Some may pick up some bready English character and that's okay with me... I like that profile.  I would not hesitate to use it again.

thanks guys. yeah, i will likely try it. if i do a higher OG beer that is generally "clean", i use dry yeast and just get 2 or 3 packets.

i didnt keep great descriptions of yeast from when i was using it, but i dont recall it ever having any kind of strong character at all.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4855 on: May 31, 2022, 11:27:13 am »

Sure:

50% Montana Craft Malt Pilsner (I was out of 2-row but it would work just fine)
48% Weyermann Pale Wheat
2% Briess Copper Malt (I like this malt.  It has some color and gives the beer a malty depth)
25 IBUs of Loral at the start of the boil which was .87 ounces @ 10.2% for 30 minutes
S-04.

I thought of Loral because it's supposed to bring some lemon (it doesn't) and I thought a wheat beer was a good application.  There was a long discussion regarding "American Wheat" sometime last year.  There were a number of people who thought Oberon, maybe Blue Moon, Shock Top type of things, etc.  Beers in the Hoegaarden zip code, etc.  I am not about funky yeast character or coriander, etc.  I could see using some sweet or bitter orange peel but instead I wanted a refreshing beer with a clean character.  I could easily drink it plain but I also had many glasses with a lemon wedge in it which was great.  Super simple, straightforward, refreshing and oh-so smashable.  :D

My idea of an AW lines up with yours.  Summer crusher, indeed.  Funny, because on occasion, I've also tried to get a touch of lemon/lime from the hops, though I'm not opposed to late additions.  Sorachi Ace was supposed to contribute lemon/lime but instead it made for a nice dill sauce.  :o  Closest I've come is a small Motueka/Lemondrop combo added at flameout.  The beer was great, the citrus...present, but slight.  I may bump them next time, or even dry hop.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4856 on: May 31, 2022, 11:32:24 am »
thanks guys. yeah, i will likely try it. if i do a higher OG beer that is generally "clean", i use dry yeast and just get 2 or 3 packets.

i didnt keep great descriptions of yeast from when i was using it, but i dont recall it ever having any kind of strong character at all.
In the end, it's a dry British ale yeast.  I don't know what liquid strain it would equate to but IME, a British Ale yeast is just slightly less-neutral than an American ale yeast.  A bit of that minerally and bready character but not much, honestly.  Low esters and very clean but I *did* ferment on the cool side for 3-4 days and then bring it up in temp and swirl it a bit so diacetyl was not a problem.  I think that most everyday beer drinkers would try these beers and think they taste like beer without saying "I really like that British yeast character!".  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4857 on: May 31, 2022, 11:36:36 am »
My idea of an AW lines up with yours.  Summer crusher, indeed.  Funny, because on occasion, I've also tried to get a touch of lemon/lime from the hops, though I'm not opposed to late additions.  Sorachi Ace was supposed to contribute lemon/lime but instead it made for a nice dill sauce.  :o  Closest I've come is a small Motueka/Lemondrop combo added at flameout.  The beer was great, the citrus...present, but slight.  I may bump them next time, or even dry hop.
In this group I made the American Wheat, a Blonde Ale and a Cream Ale.  All lighter styles, all with S-04.  The American Wheat had Loral, the Blonde Ale had Liberty and the Cream Ale has flaked corn and Sterling hops.  All clean and refreshing beers.  I like the concept of using hops to bring some citrus but dry hopping is going to do something contradictory to what I want to do and that is to make a beer that I consider to be "smashable" but has a lot of late hops.  I could use some extract or lemon/orange zest, etc. but typically I get to that point in the recipe design and decide NOT to do that and instead make it plain and have the opportunity to drink it plain when the desire exists or add a lemon wedge which I consider to be the best form of flavor you can get because it's natural and you're adding it right when you're drinking the beer.   In a world with a lot of wild beer styles, my preferences don't align with many brewers or beer drinkers... but I think I have been saying that for over 20 years.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 11:39:12 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4858 on: May 31, 2022, 11:45:28 am »
In this group I made the American Wheat, a Blonde Ale and a Cream Ale.  All lighter styles, all with S-04.  The American Wheat had Loral, the Blonde Ale had Liberty and the Cream Ale has flaked corn and Sterling hops.  All clean and refreshing beers.  I like the concept of using hops to bring some citrus but dry hopping is going to do something contradictory to what I want to do and that is to make a beer that I consider to be "smashable" but has a lot of late hops.  I could use some extract or lemon/orange zest, etc. but typically I get to that point in the recipe design and decide NOT to do that and instead make it plain and have the opportunity to drink it plain when the desire exists or add a lemon wedge which I consider to be the best form of flavor you can get because it's natural and you're adding it right when you're drinking the beer.   In a world with a lot of wild beer styles, my preferences don't align with many brewers or beer drinkers... but I think I have been saying that for over 20 years.   ;D

I'm not 100% sure I understand...are you saying that a dry hopped beer can't be "smashable"?  Or, it's just not your idea of what a simple crusher should be?
No right or wrong answer in my opinion, I'm just being nosy.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4859 on: May 31, 2022, 01:09:30 pm »

I'm not 100% sure I understand...are you saying that a dry hopped beer can't be "smashable"?  Or, it's just not your idea of what a simple crusher should be?
No right or wrong answer in my opinion, I'm just being nosy.
It's a personal preference.  I make a lot of beers where there is one hop addition at the start of the boil and that's it.  Totally out of line with most other homebrewers.  Occasionally I find myself out somewhere and I'll order something that I might not brew myself like an IPA.  First off, they're typically too strong to "smash" unless I don't mind sounding sloppy all night but also, all the late hops (while great when you just have a few sips) start to fatigue my tasebuds at some point and I find myself burning out on it.  You could have a 4.5% "All Day IPA" kind of thing which would take care of issue #1 but the late hops make it so I have to downshift to something less hoppy.  Boring and weird compared to most brewers today.  :D
Ken from Chicago.