Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for a porter  (Read 4989 times)

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Yeast for a porter
« on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:28 am »
I'm trying to decide on a yeast for a porter that I will be brewing in a week or two.  Medium attenuation, malty finish.  Slight fruit is ok...I doubt it will get past the grain bill.

I've narrowed it down to these.

S-04
WLP001

I know Denny's preference (and I'm leaning that way), but if I told you that this beer will be sitting at 68 (the lowest temp I can reliably maintain), would that change your mind?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast for a porter
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:20:25 am »
I'm trying to decide on a yeast for a porter that I will be brewing in a week or two.  Medium attenuation, malty finish.  Slight fruit is ok...I doubt it will get past the grain bill.

I've narrowed it down to these.

S-04
WLP001

I know Denny's preference (and I'm leaning that way), but if I told you that this beer will be sitting at 68 (the lowest temp I can reliably maintain), would that change your mind?

Nope in terms of 1450
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 01:03:56 pm »
I've made some very nice porters with S-04.  It also offers the convenience of direct pitching with no starter or aeration if that's a consideration this time of year.  001 could work fine, but I just am not fond of 1318.  Full disclosure:  I have never used 1450.  Sorry Denny!  At least I've finally come clean!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:05:28 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 02:59:31 pm »
Assuming this is an English style porter, I'd use WLP002.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 03:14:43 pm »
I've made some very nice porters with S-04.  It also offers the convenience of direct pitching with no starter or aeration if that's a consideration this time of year.  001 could work fine, but I just am not fond of 1318.  Full disclosure:  I have never used 1450.  Sorry Denny!  At least I've finally come clean!

You should try it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 03:42:34 pm »

You should try it.
So many yeasts so little time.  Always meant to.  And I'm deep in lager mode again.  But thinking about a Burton for the Holidays.   Sounds like a great opportunity!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 04:14:50 pm »

I considered this yeast, but its optimum temperature "range" is listed at 65-68.  I will barely be able to keep it stored at 68 (assuming no more heat waves). I don't know how much this really matters, but the other ones that I listed at least give me some margin for error.  I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm not interested in pushing the envelope.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 06:48:56 pm »
Mangrove Jacks M42 and M15 temp range: 61 - 72°F (16 - 22°C).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 06:14:44 am »
Mangrove Jacks M42 and M15 temp range: 61 - 72°F (16 - 22°C).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's another one I considered but felt the attenuation was too high.  Maybe if this was a RIS...
OG will be in the mid 50's, hoping to finish in the low teens.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 07:27:06 am »
I use Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) in my porters.  It is a bit fruitier, but I like the esters I get from it

Just my .02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 08:18:45 am »

I considered this yeast, but its optimum temperature "range" is listed at 65-68.  I will barely be able to keep it stored at 68 (assuming no more heat waves). I don't know how much this really matters, but the other ones that I listed at least give me some margin for error.  I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm not interested in pushing the envelope.

Take temp ranges with a grain of salt

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 08:31:53 am »
I'll go out on a limb and vote for WLP001 just so you don't really have to be concerned about temp. English yeasts start to get a bit icky TO ME at the temp you are suggesting.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 08:39:39 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 08:48:19 am »
I use Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) in my porters.  It is a bit fruitier, but I like the esters I get from it

Good call, thanks.  It checks the boxes I'm looking to check.

I'll go out on a limb and vote for WLP001 just so you don't really have to be concerned about temp.

Got it. Thanks.

I appreciate the feedback.  I now have options when I walk into the LHBS!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 09:17:16 am »
Lately I've been using Imperial A09 Pub and I like it so much It's pretty much my new go-to for all my English ales.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline TREE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 12:01:40 pm »
Personally I would go with WLP001 since I use the dry version, US-05 at 68F and I've had great results.  This year my Porter took gold at NHC.

I'm interested in try 1450 though.  Sounds like it would work great.