Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bread  (Read 6399 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Bread
« on: November 01, 2019, 05:51:28 pm »
I don't have any experience with bread.  This was my second attempt with a very basic recipe (water, yeast, sugar, salt, and flour) in a dutch oven.  It's actually pretty damn good.  I'm going to try to bake some more on Sunday.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 10:51:50 pm »
Once you get the hang of it, try using a cup of spent grain in place of a cup of whole wheat flour (and reduce the water a bit) and get some interesting taste and texture at no extra cost. I always take a few cups of my spent grain and put it in the freezer for use in making bread.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 03:32:55 pm »
Nice 2nd go at breadmaking, a warm hunk of that dunked in N/A coffee stout would probably be pretty damn tasty. A word of warning though, making bread can be about as addictive as brewing, which isn't surprising as the both entail a buttload of carbs, an infinite variety of possible permutations and ingredients, and a lot of yeast wrangling. Hmmm, ya got me thinking, it's been over a year since I've made bread, and the game does start kinda late tomorrow...
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 06:31:52 pm »
Been on a bread making hiatus due to a temporary low carb diet. Made a miche today: 100% whole wheat and sourdough. Fed barm night before last, built to a firm starter yesterday, made dough and baked today. One huge loaf. Tasty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 01:08:02 pm »
Today’s loaves and rolls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:35:04 pm »
I got my first taste of making dough back in 1987 when a friend opened a pizzeria. Being the obsessive person I am, jumped in with both feet, and to this day I love making different types of dough. As you may know, bread and beer making is very similar in concept and identical as an art form!!  At one point I came across a book by Nancy Silverton of La Brea Bakery. Purchased her book and it honestly helped me become a better maker of dough. If you are interested in her book, here is the ISBN# 679-40907-6

Cheers!

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 02:42:49 pm »
Today’s loaves and rolls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

👍
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 06:56:46 am »
Started baking bread in the last few weeks as one of the many things to pass time with the kids while we are cooped up.  We're having fun with it, but I'm running low on bread yeast and don't want to hit the store (plus it's snowing out today).

Anyone have experience using yeast slurry for baking?  I've got two batches to keg this weekend, so I'll have fresh slurries of West Yorkshire and Ardennes.  Just no idea how to use it in bread or how much to use...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 07:52:32 am »
Started baking bread in the last few weeks as one of the many things to pass time with the kids while we are cooped up.  We're having fun with it, but I'm running low on bread yeast and don't want to hit the store (plus it's snowing out today).

Anyone have experience using yeast slurry for baking?  I've got two batches to keg this weekend, so I'll have fresh slurries of West Yorkshire and Ardennes.  Just no idea how to use it in bread or how much to use...

It will work, but not as well.  Bread yeast is bred for CO2, beer yeast for alcohol.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 08:14:11 am »
Thanks.  Any recommendations on amounts?  I would be planning to use slurry, which is not quite the same as just tossing in a packet of dry yeast.

Good to hear from you, Denny.  Hope you're staying safe and healthy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 08:55:32 am »
Thanks.  Any recommendations on amounts?  I would be planning to use slurry, which is not quite the same as just tossing in a packet of dry yeast.

You, too, Joe!  No recommendations I'm afraid, but I know there are a lot of brewers who've tried it recently so maybe can give you an idea.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 05:32:19 pm »

I recently bought some yeast online and in the package the vendor sent a recipe card for milk bread with Lalvin 71B wine yeast as an ingredient. They sent me two packages @5 grams each to use in the recipe.

I look forward to baking their recipe with their yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

Bread
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 07:22:13 pm »

The homebrew yeast calculators estimate the number of cells for dry yeast and slurry. You could start there. For a given amount of bread yeast estimate how many cells: it’s dry yeast and probably has the same cell density as dry beer yeast. Then use the equivalent amount of slurry: the volume that has the same number cells.

I am not a bread maker. Based on Denny’s comment that bread yeast is bread for co2 and beer year for alcohol you might want to use extra slurry. Maybe enough for 50% extra cells. But I am not sure about that.

Edit: I just saw this was a week ago.  Too late.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 08:54:02 am »
No worries.  Thanks for the response nonetheless.

I bought some bread yeast so no experiments with slurry.  Probably going to make some dough later today.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 09:04:34 am »
No worries.  Thanks for the response nonetheless.

I bought some bread yeast so no experiments with slurry.  Probably going to make some dough later today.

I bought 2 lb. of Saf Instant bread yeast on Amazon

www.dennybrew.com