Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast  (Read 17628 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Let's Discuss Dry Yeast
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2021, 01:58:02 pm »
ok, and still on dry yeast. i just saw safale F-2 and was reminded of it and the CBC-1.
https://fermentis.com/en/product/safale-f-2/

anyone ever attempted to ferment a whole beer with it? it says it ferments maltose, glucose, fructose etc but not maltotriose

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2021, 08:35:59 pm »
For a many lagers I use Diamond for a dry finish, if that is what I want for the style. If I want more malt character I go with S-189. I've split batches, and the difference is definitely there.

Diamond for a Pils. I liked S-189 for a Bock.
I sampled a traditional bock earlier today that I made with Diamond. It was 1.064 down to 1.012 and man that beer tastes intensely malty and awesome. I'd certainly use Diamond again for a bock.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2021, 08:18:30 am »
For a many lagers I use Diamond for a dry finish, if that is what I want for the style. If I want more malt character I go with S-189. I've split batches, and the difference is definitely there.

Diamond for a Pils. I liked S-189 for a Bock.
I sampled a traditional bock earlier today that I made with Diamond. It was 1.064 down to 1.012 and man that beer tastes intensely malty and awesome. I'd certainly use Diamond again for a bock.

And you can certainly do that.  My experience is that Diamond is great for those styles, but I find S189 even better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2021, 02:00:31 pm »
I'll be honest with you guys.  I just did my blind tasting of S-189 vs. Diamond, and.... I really just cannot tell these apart.  I thought maybe I could on the first sip, but after that, they really just tasted identical.  If anything, I found S-189 might have had more hop flavor, while Diamond tasted less hoppy but also more bitter... but this was like splitting hairs.  I really don't know if it was just my imagination.  I got the same attenuation and FG with both, so I'm almost thinking maybe... these are super closely related.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2021, 02:04:31 pm »
I'll be honest with you guys.  I just did my blind tasting of S-189 vs. Diamond, and.... I really just cannot tell these apart.  I thought maybe I could on the first sip, but after that, they really just tasted identical.  If anything, I found S-189 might have had more hop flavor, while Diamond tasted less hoppy but also more bitter... but this was like splitting hairs.  I really don't know if it was just my imagination.  I got the same attenuation and FG with both, so I'm almost thinking maybe... these are super closely related.

I know they have different origins.  I assume you did a split batch?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 02:19:18 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2021, 02:43:28 pm »

I thought so too.  Yes, it was a split batch specifically for this purpose.  Dunkel.  Quite tasty, both, and... I have no real preference either way.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2021, 03:15:46 pm »

I thought so too.  Yes, it was a split batch specifically for this purpose.  Dunkel.  Quite tasty, both, and... I have no real preference either way.

Every time this situation comes up I'm reminded of what someone (Mark?) said aboutv there being a lot fewer differences between lager yeast than ale yeast. It was years ago when I split a batch of Ofest to compare them, but I recall being able to tell a difference.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2021, 10:52:13 am »

Every time this situation comes up I'm reminded of what someone (Mark?) said aboutv there being a lot fewer differences between lager yeast than ale yeast. It was years ago when I split a batch of Ofest to compare them, but I recall being able to tell a difference.
Hmm I can see that given that there are fewer esters produced when treated properly.
Jesse

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2021, 05:44:35 am »
We can attest to differences in Diamond Lager vs. W-34/70.

Using the Diamond, we are much closer to getting that classic German Pils flavor profile....whatever that is.

The W-34/70 is a good, predictable yeast.

Here is my analogy:

34/70 will get you into the right church.

Diamond will have you seated in the correct pew.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2021, 08:09:47 pm »
just ordered two packs of k-97.

going to explain it to you simply.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2021, 02:55:03 am »

Why would you do that to yourself??!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2021, 07:04:31 am »

Why would you do that to yourself??!!!!

have you ever used k97?

i got good results from it

also, not my favourite site but:
https://brulosophy.com/2017/04/17/yeast-comparison-safale-us-05-american-ale-vs-safale-k-97-german-ale-exbeeriment-results/

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2021, 07:20:56 am »
Yes I hate it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2021, 08:00:56 am »
Yes I hate it!

Same here.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2021, 08:03:12 am »
not my favourite site but:
https://brulosophy.com/2017/04/17/yeast-comparison-safale-us-05-american-ale-vs-safale-k-97-german-ale-exbeeriment-results/

Heh...

"7 tasters reported preferring the US-05 beer, 5 said they liked the K-97 beer more, and 3 had no preference...

"I was easily able to tell these beers apart just by appearance, as the beer fermented with US-05 was much clearer than the K-97 beer."

Yeah it's a yeasty mess, which some people don't mind, but 7 out of 12 don't prefer.
Dave