Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146911 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2011, 03:13:09 am »
Sadly I have no photos of any of this... but this Saturday was our July 4/14 Juillet/1st b-day party for the assistant brewer. Had about 30-35 people come down, and I spent all of the morning cooking. Menu was, corn dogs alton brown style (HORRIBLE FAILURE NEVER AGAIN UGH), white-castle style sliders and mini-smoked chicken and mole sauce sandwiches. Also had watermelon sangria and blackberry royal (kir, basically). And beer, of course - but sadly the mini-fut of Ninkasi brown I got was infected. Most of their darker beers always seem to get infected :-/ But my Blue Paw clone was a hit, and the Pliny clone while being quite bitter was still a great success, despite the lack of carbonation. Wife also did home-made cookies with red, white, and blue icing as well as an ice cream cake for the little man (ben & jerry's chocolate fudge brownie + haagen-dazs vanilla + colored sprinkle sheet cake) AND chocolate and peanut butter muffins. She makes those without a recipe.. I have no idea how.

Ended the evening after getting stung by a wasp (they were all over the kir/blackberry syrup stuff) but launching a metric ton of fireworks. A good time was had by all - and I still have all my fingers. Oh and we tried some Nogne O Christmas Beer and a Cantillon something or other that I didn't like, because I apparently have no taste. Way too acidic for me.

The next day I was exhausted from all the work, so I seasoned my brand new De Buyer blue steel wok and made pork fried rice. Sadly, the regular pork was too expensive, so I bought pork belly instead :D Also had some hot & sour soup.

Yesterday we were super lazy and I called in sick, we played with the assistant brewer and ordered a pizza for the first time in months, played L.A. Noire on the xbox and I brewed a test batch of pumpkin ale.

That was a good weekend.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2011, 07:02:53 am »
Ended the evening after getting stung by a wasp (they were all over the kir/blackberry syrup stuff) but launching a metric ton of fireworks. A good time was had by all - and I still have all my fingers. That was a good weekend.

It's against the law to shoot off fireworks here in this county...the draconian bastages!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2011, 07:18:14 am »
Ended the evening after getting stung by a wasp (they were all over the kir/blackberry syrup stuff) but launching a metric ton of fireworks. A good time was had by all - and I still have all my fingers. That was a good weekend.

It's against the law to shoot off fireworks here in this county...the draconian bastages!

It's against the law in the nearest big city, but the law is unclear as to whether it extends to the countryside or not. Either way, we didn't get a ticket or anything. Kept the garden hose in one hand the whole time, though - can't be too careful. Also note that lighting 20 sparklers at once will generate a LOT of heat. Ouch.
----

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2011, 12:01:22 pm »

Wow, I can't imagine not having fireworks.  Must be a cultural thing.  New Years eve and July 4 are loud, but you should be here for Chinese New Year!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2011, 03:30:02 pm »
Wow, I can't imagine not having fireworks.  Must be a cultural thing.  New Years eve and July 4 are loud, but you should be here for Chinese New Year!

It was done under the pretense of the extreme fire hazards that exist here in BFEWhyo you see we have a think called
cheat grass...and it grows everywhere prolifically. About that time of the year the Sun has been hot enuff to dry and ripen
the seeds of the cheat grass...the stuff burns like gasoline...I mean WHOOMP...and if there is a little breeze which is
USUALLY the case, the whole entire prairie will catch fire and burn out of control for MILES....

Sigh, I suppose I concede defeat to the entity known as Safety 1st....At least this is concevable as a practical purpose.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:00:38 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #365 on: July 13, 2011, 02:28:38 am »

Wow, I can't imagine not having fireworks.  Must be a cultural thing.  New Years eve and July 4 are loud, but you should be here for Chinese New Year!

Like cinqo de mayo in Chicago I'd imagine. Swear I heard a 50 cal one year.
----

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #366 on: July 13, 2011, 03:54:05 am »

Like cinqo de mayo in Chicago I'd imagine. Swear I heard a 50 cal one year.

You need a kevlar umbrella when it starts raining bullets!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #367 on: July 14, 2011, 06:30:23 am »
Tonight: MOAR SLIDERS ZOMG

After the success/deliciousness of Saturday's Slider-based ragnarok, I'm going to try more tonight. On the menu:
  • regular white castle-style onion sliders
  • bacon-cheddar-red onion bbq sliders
  • blue cheese/grilled onion sliders

Something tells me I won't get too many smooches from the wife tonight ;-)
----

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #368 on: July 14, 2011, 06:55:33 am »
I'll take a dozen of each...with shoes on it.

Plain ole roasted chicken tonight.  We talked about chicken earlier itt and the smallest fryer they had was 4.75 pounds unless I wanted the partially-frozen yet more expensive Purdue chicken @ 4 pounds even. :-\  I want 4 pounders or less dammit!  Halved the chicken and coated with EVOO/fresh thyme/lemon-pepper/Tony Chachere seasoning overnight; and made stock with the neck/back/wingtips.  I'll roast it at low temp for a bit then crank it up towards the end.  Delmonico potatoes and steamed brocolli and some sort of pan-sauce...

...and two/tree beers.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #369 on: July 24, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »
i made my first banh mi today.  here is what i used...

seedless cucumber
pickled daikon
pickled matchstick carrots (making these myself)
raw daikon
raw carrots
pork and liver pate
vietnamese meatballs
chicken
black pepper pork tenderloin
soy sauce
garlic mayo (making this myself)
red onion
sesame oil
red boat fish sauce

Black Pepper Pork Banh Mi Recipe

1 pound of loin. Sliced thinly
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 table spoons of fish sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of finely chopped shallots
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil

from....

http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-make-banh-mi/recipes-meat/banh-mi-recipe-black-pepper-pork/

the mayo.....

2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon rosemary garlic sea salt
1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 cup canola/vegetable oil blend

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #370 on: July 24, 2011, 08:53:22 pm »
I smoked a pork butt, baked some yams and stir fried some squash, zukes, red bell peppers and corn.  I'm too full to drink.(much)
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #371 on: July 26, 2011, 02:07:24 am »
@deepsouth have you ever had one before, or did you mean this was your first time making it yourself?

They are most likely my favorite sandwich in the world, although Schlotsky's or perhaps a good oyster po boy come awful close.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #372 on: July 26, 2011, 02:35:03 am »
I that for just two people? I see two rolls and everything looks delicious. But enough to feed 10. Maybe more.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2011, 05:12:44 am »
This was from this weekend: Sole "stacks" with an improvised Sauce Choron, basically Bearnaise with tomato dice... Our garden tomatoes were just too good to dice up, so I sliced them thick and layered them like so. It's kinda like Eggs Benedict except for dinner. Bottom is a toasted brioche bun, followed by:

Tomato, seared on one side just before plating, topped with garden zucchini that I had thinly sliced and cooked very slowly ("confit") with some shallots and a bit of butter.

Topped with the fish, and then the sauce. It was pretty good. Next time I won't cook the fish for as long, though.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #374 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:33 pm »
I really got to get a flash or some better lighting. :(

Oh what we must endure...

Flexed out of work for the cutting hours initiative. Since I've been living like a monk (literally- drinking lots of beer and eating many vegetables) and haven't really treated myself in a long time. I was starving at the grocery store, but only bought one thing extra... ;D

Lamb loin chops!

To quiet the stomach since I skipped lunch: French boule and a nice bit of Olio Carli, salt and herbs. The extra virgin oil actually tastes like olive- Kalmata olives! Accompanied by an Ayinger Oktoberfest Marzen.

On to preparing the main course.

Sated by a couple slices of bread and a beer I rubbed the chops with salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic, thyme, oregano and then drizzled with olive oil. Charcoal grilled to mid-rare- about 8 minutes. Served with grilled white-potato slices, Hatch chile and pickled grilled asparagus.

That was some really mild lamb. I was raised eating it so my favorite hands down. Washed down with and post dinner brew: Decadent Imperial IPA from Ska Brewing. Weighs in at a hefty 10%! Delicious.

Got some Coastal rugged mature cheddar for later if I feel peckish. And another chop. Got to eat like this more often!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis