Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout  (Read 13804 times)

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:47 am »
Got a 4 pack of this on Friday. Apparently, this beer has not been available in the American market for 80 years. Reminds me of an RIS, nice roasted characters at 7.5% abv.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline hermsman

• 1st Kit
Re: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:33 am »
I read in the latest issue of Zymurgy that they were releasing this to the US. I last had it at the brewery's Public House in Dublin. It is excellent and by far my favorite stout. Can't wait to find it here and try it out!
Fermenting:
FrankenAle 2010
Winter Solstice 3

On Tap:
Black EyePA
Bavarian Lager
Winter Solstice 2
Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Pliny the Clone II
Firestone Clone
Robust Porter
Vanilla Porter
Belgian Pale Ale
Spiced Winter Ale
FrankenAle 2006

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:58 am »
I had some a few weeks back, I really like it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brew_in_stl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:38:32 am »
Picked up a four pack a couple weeks ago myself...

I was definitely not disappointed with this beer!  It reminded me of Guinness on steroids, if you will.  It has a hint of that typical Guinness flavor, but was bigger, roastier, and a little more hoppy (IIRC).  Definitely hope it sticks around!

Of course, at 7.5%ABV, I am starting to wonder what it would be like after 6 months aging...
Joshua Eberhardt
Hombrewer since 2006
Member - Saint Louis Brews

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:45 am »
I was fortunate enough to drink a few of these in Jamaica 6 years ago only to realize that it ruined me for most lower abv stouts.  I honestly have had only a couple of regular Guinness since.  Needless to say I was stoked to find out they were releasing it here in the States.  The article I read said it was going to hit in October so I figured it would 2011 before it got here to the beer wasteland.  To my surprised my local store had it the 1st week of Oct.
-J.K.L. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:50:47 am »
I'll have to put this one on my list. Thanks for the heads up.
Ron Price

Offline brew_in_stl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:56:29 am »
To add just a little more, I drank the last of the 4-pack last night.

I noticed a little of the "tropical" side of it while sipping it last night...of course, this was after a glass of my American Stout so that may have jacked up my sense of taste a little.  Still a darn good beer, which I thought was even more intriguing after noticing that tropical aspect.

When I say tropical, I mean a perceived sweetness, sort of.  It was not like a milk stout, but it had a richness to it that was most enjoyable.  Definitely picking up some more of this the next time I hit the beer shop!
Joshua Eberhardt
Hombrewer since 2006

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 12:00:36 pm »
To add just a little more, I drank the last of the 4-pack last night.

I noticed a little of the "tropical" side of it while sipping it last night...of course, this was after a glass of my American Stout so that may have jacked up my sense of taste a little.  Still a darn good beer, which I thought was even more intriguing after noticing that tropical aspect.

When I say tropical, I mean a perceived sweetness, sort of.  It was not like a milk stout, but it had a richness to it that was most enjoyable.  Definitely picking up some more of this the next time I hit the beer shop!

Don't they use sorghum in this recipe? I thought I read that somewhere about the foreign extra stout. that might account for the perceived sweetness as not all the sugars in molasses are fermentable
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brew_in_stl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »
Hadn't read that, but I am sure it is possible.  Regardless...TASTY!  ;D
Joshua Eberhardt
Hombrewer since 2006

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:24:02 pm »
Apparently, this beer has not been available in the American market for 80 years.

Really?!? I bought some in upstate New York last winter....
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:19:44 pm »
Don't they use sorghum in this recipe? I thought I read that somewhere about the foreign extra stout. that might account for the perceived sweetness as not all the sugars in molasses are fermentable
I'm confused - they use sorghum and molasses?  Because it reads to me like you're saying sorghum is molasses . . . except it's not.  :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 01:39:40 pm »
Apparently, this beer has not been available in the American market for 80 years.

It's always been in the markets here in southern Oregon.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 01:44:19 pm »

I think you guys are thinking of Guinness Extra Stout and not the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, which is different - 4pks vs. 6pks, 11.2oz bottles vs. 12oz, and about 3% abv or so.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:45:56 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:08:06 pm »

I think you guys are thinking of Guinness Extra Stout and not the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, which is different - 4pks vs. 6pks, 11.2oz bottles vs. 12oz, and about 3% abv or so.
Actually there are two versions of this beer.  The U.S. version came in at about 6.5% and Foreign Extra at 7.5%.  The stronger one has never been available in the U.S. as far as I know.  I have a bottle from the Cayman Islands that says "Guinness is good for you" right on the label.  You won't see that in the states. 
The draught Guinness in the 11.2 ounce bottles with the widget is an entirely different animal.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:22:06 pm »

Actually there are two versions of this beer.  The U.S. version came in at about 6.5% and Foreign Extra at 7.5%.  The stronger one has never been available in the U.S. as far as I know.  I have a bottle from the Cayman Islands that says "Guinness is good for you" right on the label.  You won't see that in the states.  
The draught Guinness in the 11.2 ounce bottles with the widget is an entirely different animal.

sorry Jeffy - you're wrong  ;) :D.  what we are talking about is the one that is 7.5% that just became available in the US - I bought some last week at Total Wine.  

I'd be surprised that we have it before Tampa, so its probably out there if you want it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:26:09 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281