Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29404 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2011, 01:25:30 am »
We just finished a garden based dinner.  Salad was spinach, beets, carrots and onions from the garden, and then we had lasagne made with spinach and onions full of oregano, thyme and a couple of different basils from the herb box.  I can't wait until I have tomatoes, then life will be complete.

I sorta did this last night too. Had grilled mint pesto scallops on a bed of salad from the garden. Mint and parsley were from the garden too. Good times. Can't wait for that corn to get big!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2011, 09:15:59 pm »
Just finishing the fence for the "whole garden" almost time to plant. Frost tonight and the next couple days so I envey you early planters. Planting the usual, cucs,beans,zuc, corn, taters, tomatoes,squash, pumpkins,lettuce,spinach, peppers (hot and sweet) and plenty herbs. I'm sure I forgot a few.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:28 am »
I've probably harvested over 200 tomatoes from my plants. They are delicious. Next year I'm going to grow a much larger crop in order to make enough sauce for the rest of the year. And some different varieties.

Here's a pic right before they started coming fast and I would harvest 10-15 every day.

And some corn. Never grown it before but it looks like the corn is thriving.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2011, 01:32:22 am »
Euge don't forget to water the hell out of that corn once it starts to show silk. Otherwise you get niblets.

Also sadly your peppers didn't want to germinate, the thing I had thought was a delicious pepper plant turned out to be a strategically placed climbing vine. :-( But I've started over with more seeds in some of those little peat seed pots. Here's hoping something happens...
----

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2011, 02:17:03 am »
Euge don't forget to water the hell out of that corn once it starts to show silk. Otherwise you get niblets.

Also sadly your peppers didn't want to germinate, the thing I had thought was a delicious pepper plant turned out to be a strategically placed climbing vine. :-( But I've started over with more seeds in some of those little peat seed pots. Here's hoping something happens...

I'm tellin' ya...  Miracle Gro...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2011, 02:47:47 am »

They don't sell it here. I can get organic granulated fertilizer that works for tomatoes, peppers etc, but I'm going to wait to does the seedlings until they've grown a bit.
----

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2011, 06:51:58 am »

They don't sell it here. I can get organic granulated fertilizer that works for tomatoes, peppers etc, but I'm going to wait to does the seedlings until they've grown a bit.

If you hit new seedlings with any fertilizer too early you will just get spindly little plants that can't support themselves (experience speaking here).  Let them start to thicken up before feeding them anything extra.

My garden this is growing a very nice new shed.  I gave up plants last fall.  There is no good spot on out lot for a garden and I needed a place to store seasonal equipment.  8^(

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2011, 02:13:21 am »
So far everything's growing great, although there are two issues I wanna ask you guys about:
1. some of my corn leaves are droopy - it's been raining a LOT lately (making up for three months of drought) perhaps that's doing it?
2. I have planted summer squash. There are lots of pretty squash blossoms! But they all fall off. Is this normal?

Meantime, o hai pumpkin, looks like I'm going to have a huge crop this year. Same for tomatoes of course, and cucumber, beets, lettuce (can you can lettuce? We've got so much...), carrots, bell peppers and eggplant. Pics later this weekend, perhaps...
----

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2011, 08:09:54 am »
2. I have planted summer squash. There are lots of pretty squash blossoms! But they all fall off. Is this normal?

Do you see any pollinator insects? i.e. Bees???  that is what keeps em from falling off
I have taken an artists paint brush and moved pollen from flower to flower in times when
I have not had visiting bees....to good end result. :o

There is a product here in US that is called bloom set and that is to help tomatoes keep
blooms on long enuff for pollination. Not sure how it would affect squash.

Edit: if you get to the point of having a lot of blossoms that you don't wanna allow to go to waste,
you can try this  http://madebymichellec.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/fried-squash-blossoms/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:17:34 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »

Time to throw some soda to it when it gets about knee high too.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:26 pm »
Bloom set works wonderfully in our garden.....but we don't need much help...we only use it for early season tomatoes.....when its still cool out...(cool here is less than 90-100F) when the heat gets up there our tomatoes and peppers sprout and ripen quickly.  then its all about finding folks to eat em!
Beer in various stages!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2011, 11:25:01 pm »
I just hit my toms with some miracle grow. They're showing serious signs of deficiency and I wasn't expecting another crop off them. But it seems they will give me some more after the huge rain we had and a few consecutive cool nights. Hoping for another 100,,,
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:43 am »
Do you have all of one gender of blossoms?  The first ones are typically all male.  You can look at them and determine the gender by looking for an immature fruit behind the female flower.  The timing has to be just right, so it can be hard if you only have one plant.  I would take a paint brush, find a male flower on the first morning it opens, get some pollen and pollinate the open female flowers.  Do it every morning and hopefully you'll get some fruit.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:16 am »

Waaa? Please explain.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2011, 03:25:51 am »

Waaa? Please explain.

+1 - explanation? This might be the reason for my drooping leaves on the knee-high corn plants...
----