Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29403 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2011, 06:18:46 am »
2. I have planted summer squash. There are lots of pretty squash blossoms! But they all fall off. Is this normal?
Do you have all of one gender of blossoms?  The first ones are typically all male.  You can look at them and determine the gender by looking for an immature fruit behind the female flower.  The timing has to be just right, so it can be hard if you only have one plant.  I would take a paint brush, find a male flower on the first morning it opens, get some pollen and pollinate the open female flowers.  Do it every morning and hopefully you'll get some fruit.

I ususally let bees take care of this. ;)  It does help to have at least two of everything you are growing.  The plants do not have to be the same though i.e., one yellow, one zuchini for instance.  We don't grow summer squash anymore because I am totally burnt out on it.  We would have two plants and they would produce enough to feed a small village for months. :o
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2011, 12:14:59 pm »
The bees are hitting my corn- which has shot up about 12" after the good hard rain we had a couple days ago. I wonder what the honey would taste like?

Here's my precious fig-trees fruiting.

Brown Turkey:

Black Mission:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »
My brown turkey just starting getting leaves in the last week or so euge. :)
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2011, 01:04:20 pm »
Any turkey I've ever seen has either feathers on it or comes in a bottle. :D

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2011, 02:07:49 pm »
The bees are hitting my corn- which has shot up about 12" after the good hard rain we had a couple days ago. I wonder what the honey would taste like?

Brown Turkey:

Black Mission:

My landlord/neighbor has a fig tree. Let's just say now that they're starting to get ripe, I've been sneaking over the fence late at night. Nom nom nom. You're lucky to have that in your yard. Even the leaves smell good. I don't remember if you were on the soap thread, but fig leaves would make a mean soap I think.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2011, 03:25:30 pm »

Nice looking figs Euge.  :)

What kind of yield do you typically get from your Fig tree?
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2011, 04:14:39 pm »
Euge don't forget to water the hell out of that corn once it starts to show silk. Otherwise you get niblets.

Time to throw some soda to it when it gets about knee high too.

Waaa? Please explain.

+1 - explanation? This might be the reason for my drooping leaves on the knee-high corn plants...

Nitrogen fertilizer.

We call Sodium Nitrate (soda ash) around here soda (Why? Because my Grandpa did is all I can tell you ;D).

Now most fertilizers use Potassium Nirate (pot ash) instead. its the last number in fertilizer, 10-10-10

Corn is nitrogen hungry. Get you some fertilizer with 0-0-(some number here). Dress the corn about six inches away from the stalks. about an 1/8 cup per stalk unless it rains a lot, then add a little more. Liquid is better if you find it.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2011, 04:16:20 pm »
These are new trees and I only got a few last year. This year it's more but not a bumper crop. The trees aren't that big yet.

In the background past the corn is my neighbor's fig tree. It has been covered in little figs that haven't increased in size for months. The massive rain we had swelled them up to the size of mine in just two days. They are ripening rapidly and the birds are feasting on them.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:42 pm »
My landlord/neighbor has a fig tree. Let's just say now that they're starting to get ripe, I've been sneaking over the fence late at night.

Wow. You really have gone native. Bravo.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2011, 06:45:05 pm »
My landlord/neighbor has a fig tree. Let's just say now that they're starting to get ripe, I've been sneaking over the fence late at night.

I'm looking forward to the: "the produce from my garden is mysteriously disappearing" thread...  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2011, 12:00:33 pm »

Eh? I don't get it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »
From reading A Year in Provence, it just seemed like a very French thing to do.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2011, 01:10:53 pm »
From reading A Year in Provence, it just seemed like a very French thing to do.

Stealing your neighbor's vegetables and fruit?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2011, 01:13:30 pm »
Stealing is a little harsh.  More like a casual disregard for specific property lines, especially in regards to food items.  Also applied to truffle-hunting locations and business transactions that might or might not be seen as taxable by the government.

OK, so that was probably a bit too much context for a joke.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2011, 02:13:33 pm »
Ag theft is a big problem here in Hawaii.  It sucks to work hard for a crop for months, only to have it disappear overnight.  It may seem romantic to jump a fence and grab a freebee, but before you do, put yourself in the farmer's shoes for a moment.

I've been on the losing end of the deal more than once, and I can tell you it's very disheartening...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:52:17 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907