Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music  (Read 18871 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:21:01 pm »
 :o

WOW!

Disappointing is being nice.
Ron Price

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:29:45 pm »
      This is a great list, it is shame that popstar have taken over the industry.  I stopped listening to the radio, or watching music television for about 8 years.  This led me to find some of the most amazing bands that never get any playtime or exposure.  Maybe it better that the true musician are underappreciated during their careers.  It probably drives them to work harder to leave a legacy with their music.

P.S.  # 12 is the best on the list.  Justin Bieber must be stopped.
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »
Disappointing, but hardly surprising really.  And #12 sums it up pretty well.

I naturally still  listen to my old favorites from the 60's/70's...especially things I discovered during the golden days of AOR playlist free programming on the FM stations in the NYC area.

That said, there is PLENTY good music still being made by young, indie artists.  With new distribution channels opening up and the lessened importance of the "major labels" and radio airplay, there's a lot more quality stuff to be heard these days.  
My new kick has been enjoying the thriving indie and especially the  live music scene in the NY/NJ/PA  tri-state area.

So, I still love my old fart favorites (hell...I've gone to see Procol Harum more times in the last few years than I did even  "back in the day"), but there's also plenty  of  seriously good new talent out there.  
And not much of it is on the radio (radio? what's radio?)

If you're interested in some interesting observations regarding the music scene by someone long involved and who is keenly observant of the changes in the industry and how artists are affected, do a Google search for  "The Lefsetz Letter"  and subscribe.  
It's pretty fascinating reading.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »
Yeah, disappointing, but if you think about the way music is sold nowadays, it's not all that surprising.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:12:22 pm »
exactly... the internet age brought about a whole new way to listen/acquire music.. and the industry has always looked down on rock n roll... not diverse at all... plus I think its a left wing nutjob conspiracy!  ;)
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:18:45 pm »
exactly... the internet age brought about a whole new way to listen/acquire music.. and the industry has always looked down on rock n roll... not diverse at all... plus I think its a left wing nutjob conspiracy!  ;)
I thought the left wing were moon bats, and the right wing were nut jobs?  Anyway, I blame the right for #1, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12.  And I don't think #8 is really a bad thing.  And I've never heard of #2, 3, and 4, so either I'm too left or not left enough. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:39:52 pm »
#1 reminded me of an interview I read with Scott Stapp around 2000 when he analogized his band's lack of critical acclaim with that of Zeppelin's.  He was basically saying that like Zepp, Creed wasn't appreciated by their contemporary critics, but given time...  ???  

edit: don't ask me why I was reading the interview.  I swear on everything that is good and just that I have only ever thought that band was a bunch of megalomaniacal cocksure douches.  :P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:42:28 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:56:31 pm »
I thought the left wing were moon bats, and the right wing were nut jobs? 

You are correct sir!   ;D

De gustibus non est disputandum.  I've spent the last year studying a style of music that makes all of that seem pretty "poppy" and simple, but man, Beatles and Led Zeppelin...that was good stuff.  But still, remember what was on AM radio in the 70s, or so my parents tell me...

Listened to Zep yesterday after consuming almost nothing but Hindustani classical for rather a long time, and it was pretty sweet...sort of like a fast food hamburger after eating heathily for a while...hits the spot.  That is a group with a natural groove. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 07:44:33 pm »
Regardless, that Katy Perry chick is friggin hot.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 08:26:19 pm »

Gotta agree with you there... I'm not grokking the music really, but she is certainly easy on the eyes.  And her eyes are as riveting as the rest of her!

Interesting that she comes from a very strict fundamentalist background...but it seems about right. 
When I was in college in the midwest 40 years ago, seems that it was always the minister's daughters who were the wildest.
(and please...No disrespect to any group intended...'twas just an observation that anyone here who attended college might concur with.  :o   )
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:02 pm »
Flo Rida?  The state?

Shania Twain is so much hotter than Katy Perry!

:-*
Brew on

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:47:01 pm »
In my younger days I helped a friend of mine pickup and deliver furniture to be re-upholstered.  He has a reputation in Central Florida among the very wealthy as THE guy to re-upholster your furniture.  (Yes he is very good, and discrete).

I went into some amazing homes with him.  I saw some amazingly poorly decorated and ugly homes that were worth a fortune.  My friend taught me a lot about keeping a poker face.

Words of wisdom from my friend Russell, "Having money does not mean you have taste."

I think that applies very well to this list.  Often it's not about quality, it's about being cool.  "What's the flavor of the month?"  As proof I give you ringtones...   ::)

(Ke$ha's got some nice 'uns!)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:54:47 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

jaybeerman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:56 pm »

This is the problem with music.  I don't care how good someone looks on the radio or on cd, etc.  If someone is nice to look at why we can’t just look at them without forcing them to sing or dance when we all know they can't.  

It would be nice if there was software that could study the way the person of your choice says each letter of the alphabet, then it could match the face of your subject with the song of your choice.  So for example you could punch in “katy perry” and “Freebird”  ;D and voila there she is singing Freebird.  That way the music people could just produce music and the good looking people could just look good.

the 12 list makes me cry
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:55:37 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 11:33:20 pm »
You know that all of the music is availble online is what matters. You can't be angry over other peoples choices. The true music will stand the true test of time. God help us if it is Beibier. I think the classic rock will prevail because of the nostalgic qualities. Not to mention the singers qualities. Freddy Mecury vs Bierber.