Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music  (Read 18873 times)

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »
Justin Beiber is the man. I have all of his CD's and a couple posters. ;)

yea, they make great shooting targets!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 02:29:54 pm »
Please don't blame me or my countrymen & women for #12 - it makes me wretch that he was spawned here.

Edit: Ah Crap!  I had mentally blocked out that #6, #7 were foisted upon the world from my home land too, now I need a drink.

Good job.  This way they won't get wind our our secret plan to take all their money and funnel it into Canada. 

jaybeerman

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:51 pm »
Most people of advanced age can't (without cheating) tell me the most popular acts of the 1910s. If you expect people to understand the music scene that existed 40 years before they were children, it isn't just kids today that would struggle.

It's easy to draw these conclusions when you establish the things you know and like as the gold standard that everyone should know and like.

I do agree with your last sentence.  However, there are a growing number of people that associate music with video rather than audio. The other thing that concerns me is that I see young people who actually do play an instrument, posting videos when they've "mastered" a lady gaga song on the piano.  Musical taste aside, it simply takes less talent to master a lady gaga song than it does a Zep song, which takes less talent to master than a jazz tune, which takes less talent than a classical piece, etc. (there's a clear trend here).

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 02:58:31 pm »
There are actually kids these days who don't know who Bob Dylan is.  Really people?  So many people need an education in music these days...

Most people of advanced age can't (without cheating) tell me the most popular acts of the 1910s. If you expect people to understand the music scene that existed 40 years before they were children, it isn't just kids today that would struggle.

It's easy to draw these conclusions when you establish the things you know and like as the gold standard that everyone should know and like.

Yes, BUT much of the music kids listen to these days is greatly influenced by music/artists that existed before they were born.  I think people should at least be aware of who those artists/musicians are.  I listen to mainly heavy metal, but within the last 30 years or so mainly.  Metal has been around for at least 15 years longer than that.  I don't really like a lot of the music/artists that the music I listen to was influenced by, but I am at least aware of where the music I like came from.
Jesse

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »
Couple o' random points...

On Bieber hatred it seems a lot like a "doth protest too much" thing many times.  I mean, its everywhere...it is the popular thing to "hate" Justin Bieber, statements to which effect are almost ubiquitous on Youtube, but seriously, from my perspective he's a kid cashing in on vapid popular music and he apparently does it well and is making a nice pile of cash out of the deal.  I salute him, even if I can't hum a single bar or name any of his tunes.  I doubt if even he really believes his is terribly exceptional music...he's just providing a product that is apparently very well received by the younger female set and is handsomely remunerated for it.  Good luck to 'im!

Also remember that when you think your music is GOOD music and lesser pop music is trash, there's always someone snobbier than you who thinks your pop trash is dull, uninspiring bilge based more on image or marketing than actual musical genius. 

I did have another point, but it has eluded me in my mockery of Bieber-bashing, which at least in the childish comments of Youtube appear to be a lame one-upsmanship where people brag about how much they think Bieber sucks.  I probably would detest his music too, but then the same goes for scads of crappy bands that think highly of themselves, that I have never forced myself to listen to.

For no particular reason at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRL895C0fHM

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »
A person that draws/paints/sculpts is an artist, A person that plays/sings/writes music is a musician.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 09:30:40 am »

Also remember that when you think your music is GOOD music and lesser pop music is trash, there's always someone snobbier than you who thinks your pop trash is dull, uninspiring bilge based more on image or marketing than actual musical genius.  

I never said I thought the music I listen to is GOOD.  It's black metal...it's really not all that GOOD, but I don't just like it, I f*cking LOVE it.  It's a personal thing for me, I don't need affirmation from anyone else as to whether it's good music or not.  I like it, that's all that matters.  

Having said that, I am a musician who can appreciate all forms of music.  And Justin Beiber is uninspired crap.  Most pop music is, and anyone who is doing it solely for the money doesn't have my respect.  Where's the passion in seeking only fame, not caring what you play so long as you're rich and famous?  There is none.  There are countless examples of this throughout history that has produced mediocre garbage for the masses because the masses like dull, boring, unoffensive music like Lenny Kravitz.

Rant over.
Jesse

jaybeerman

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 10:46:43 am »

oh nic you've gone to the dark side with your justification of the new kids on the block, er, backstreet, uh, whatever the f...justin whatshisname  ;)

Justin Beiber is uninspired crap.  Most pop music is, and anyone who is doing it solely for the money doesn't have my respect.  Where's the passion in seeking only fame, not caring what you play so long as you're rich and famous?  There is none.

yep

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 11:00:11 am »
Lets all go back to a time we were Bieber's age and imagine getting paid big bucks to have young girls fall all over you. I'd take it in a minute and I think most that disagree are lying.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 11:12:54 am »
Personally, I think the masses like good music, but they are lazy and allow themselves to be force fed lame pop songs that are well marketed.  The same with the crappy but well marketed food, drink, and "news" that many people consume.
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 11:16:05 am »
Lets all go back to a time we were Bieber's age and imagine getting paid big bucks to have young girls fall all over you. I'd take it in a minute and I think most that disagree are lying.

yes but we're not really talking about the kid are we? we're talking about the folks that write little johnny's songs for him  

(I hate the whole system.  To tell you the truth I don't really care one way or another about pop music or the system, until it affects my ability to find the music that I want to listen to. Which it has, or at least forced me to find alternate sources)

edit - ok i screwed that up, should have said

we're talking about the folks who hire other folks to tell the people who write little johnny's songs who are actually and most likely smart and talented what they have to write what kinds of song swill (or songs will) be popular and sell the most
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:34:17 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 11:28:18 am »

yes but we're not really talking about the kid are we? we're talking about the folks that write little johnny's songs for him  

(I hate the whole system.  To tell you the truth I don't really care one way or another about pop music or the system, until it affects my ability to find the music that I want to listen to. Which it has, or at least forced me to find alternate sources)

It's the whole package. If you were to pull the thimbdrive from my stereo, you'd see that I don't listen to anything produced today, but I can't argue with a properly marketed (legal) product that makes money. I just hope the kid turns out okay and doesn't end up in trouble, like so many young stars.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 11:44:11 am »
Personally, I think the masses like good music, but they are lazy and allow themselves to be force fed lame pop songs that are well marketed.  The same with the crappy but well marketed food, drink, and "news" that many people consume.

Very true! 

What I would give for a decent in-depth news service again. Something more than headlines and veiled (or not) advertizing.  I don't even care if it has an agenda as long the alternate view points are represented elsewhere. 

must... stop... before... I get... in... ... trouble...

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 11:59:11 am »
How about one that objectively reports news? That would be refreshing.

I believe pop music is about being cool as a consumer.  Being seen listening to the latest cool thing.  

Being cool is all about depending on others' opinions of you for determining your own self worth.

Once you get past that, all that matters is if you are happy with yourself.  Others' opinions are irrelevant.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:27:48 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 12:56:03 pm »
Personally, I think the masses like good music, but they are lazy and allow themselves to be force fed lame pop songs that are well marketed.  The same with the crappy but well marketed food, drink, and "news" that many people consume.
Yes, that is certainly a possibility. 
Jesse