Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music  (Read 19126 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:21 pm »
#12 is just horrifying indeed.

Devaluation of talent in music is exactly why I'm simultaneously delving into symphonic metal, folk metal, traditional celtic, and ancient-medieval church chants. At least those are original, carry a lot of meaning and are melodically very much related.

Dmitri, check out Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia for symphonic metal, and anything from Finntroll.  Pretty sure you'll like Finntroll.  Also Korpiklaani.  Those last two are some good folk metal.
Jesse

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2011, 02:11:07 pm »
On an Indian classical music forum I engineered a blind test for another member who claimed that he could hear the detrimental effects involved with high grade MP3 compression (320kbps), vs uncompressed or lossless.  I took two CD-quality tracks, and played each back in both formats (uncompressed, 320 mp3) and while the difference was lost on my ears, he picked the right ones out!  I'm lucky I'm not blessed with such picky ears, as it lets me get away with cheaper gear and smaller hard drives!  To me quality of the recording and playback is always secondary to the quality of the music itself.  Nice to have, but only if what is being played is good enough to warrant high quality recording!  :D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »
On an Indian classical music forum I engineered a blind test for another member who claimed that he could hear the detrimental effects involved with high grade MP3 compression (320kbps), vs uncompressed or lossless.  I took two CD-quality tracks, and played each back in both formats (uncompressed, 320 mp3) and while the difference was lost on my ears, he picked the right ones out!  I'm lucky I'm not blessed with such picky ears, as it lets me get away with cheaper gear and smaller hard drives!  To me quality of the recording and playback is always secondary to the quality of the music itself.  Nice to have, but only if what is being played is good enough to warrant high quality recording!  :D

but is it a chicken/egg thing? assuming the quality of music has gone down hill in the last 20 years does that mean that it is okay to listen to lower quality reproductions? or are the lower quality reproductions driving people away from more complex musical tastes thus driving down the overall quality of music?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

jaybeerman

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2011, 05:02:42 pm »
Dmitri, check out Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia for symphonic metal, and anything from Finntroll.  Pretty sure you'll like Finntroll.  Also Korpiklaani.  Those last two are some good folk metal.

ok folks I don't care if you don't like dark metal or not, this has to be the coolest video ever.  this is Finntroll (thanks beersk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzuxkkGyWQ

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 08:01:54 pm »
The overabundance of Scandinavian metal and polka in this thread seems to call for a proportionate response from, let's say, Curtis and Bootsy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z66wVo7uNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62XibPMlXw

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »
The overabundance of Scandinavian metal and polka in this thread seems to call for a proportionate response from, let's say, Curtis and Bootsy:

No, I think you missed the point there nicneufeld.  The discussion is about music that sucks.   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:51 am »
Dmitri, check out Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia for symphonic metal, and anything from Finntroll.  Pretty sure you'll like Finntroll.  Also Korpiklaani.  Those last two are some good folk metal.

ok folks I don't care if you don't like dark metal or not, this has to be the coolest video ever.  this is Finntroll (thanks beersk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzuxkkGyWQ

Awesome!  That is a great album.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:23 am »

Curtis and Bootsy!!!!!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:22 pm »

Curtis and Bootsy!!!!!

Those two videos made me feel like I was 10 years old! 

Offline punatic

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 01:17:27 am »
I just got done watching Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's on Palladia.  Damn!  Two hours of amazing music!  Nobody makes a Strat sing the way Jeff Beck does.  What amazing hand and arm strength he has to do what he does.

Is Palladia epic, awesome, music, or what?!  I love HDTV.

My Jeff Beck records are definetly going back into the rotation...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:23:06 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2011, 10:04:34 am »

His "Guitar Shop" is one of my faves.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jaybeerman

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »

Oh man, was that the wrong thing for the two of you to say in my presence.  Could you please tell me (my appologies for being too young/stupid to know this on my own) what albums do you like of his for which reasons.  Any thoughts on the album he just put out (sounds right to me anyway)?  cheers, j

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2011, 07:02:24 pm »

Oh man, was that the wrong thing for the two of you to say in my presence.  Could you please tell me (my appologies for being too young/stupid to know this on my own) what albums do you like of his for which reasons.  Any thoughts on the album he just put out (sounds right to me anyway)?  cheers, j

My two favorites are Wired and Blow by Blow. Beck is the shazizzle!
Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2011, 11:40:00 pm »
It's hard to choose which I like more.  His music is all so good.  But it's easy to say what my favorite Jeff Beck song is - hands down.

When Blow By Blow came out it was a perfect storm of where I was, whom I was with, what we were doing, and this song

Cause We've Ended As Lovers  

AHA Life Member #33907

jaybeerman

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2011, 02:11:53 pm »
My two favorites are Wired and Blow by Blow. Beck is the shazizzle!
It's hard to choose which I like more.  His music is all so good.  But it's easy to say what my favorite Jeff Beck song is - hands down.

When Blow By Blow came out it was a perfect storm of where I was, whom I was with, what we were doing, and this song

Cause We've Ended As Lovers  

Ok, I know/like that song and wouldn't have been able to name it or pin it to an album so thanks.  Blow by blow seems pretty good, I know his stuff is varied.  So far I liked diamond dust but wasn't as fond of air blower.  Listening to come dancing from wired right now...