Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225480 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2012, 09:48:59 am »
I planted Tomatoes last week. I think I messed with them too much because they're in shock. I've never had plants go into shock like this before. Is there anything I need to do to help or do I just keep on going and hope they pull through?

Wow still in shock? Did you mess with the roots or not water them directly after transplanting?

Did you go into a radically different soil. Or, did you harden them off before transplanting? They are tough plants but even I lost one this year after transplanting too deep.

I messed with the roots too much. I've been watering every day since the transplant and the soil is nice and moist but all but the very top leaves turned white and some fell off. I don't think I planted too deep. I didn't harden very well either. They spent a few hours outside but not much. I have others that have been outside all week and are ready to plant. They look good.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:14 am »
We munched our first 4 artichokes the other night. with melted butter and grapefruit (we were out of lemons). They were small and some of the stems were a little bitter but there is something magical about eating artichokes you grew your self.

still got to get the last of the tomatoes transplanted.

corn is sprouted and we are ready to plant our beans in with them. then squash a week or two later. vacation is coming up in just over a week so lots of time to putter in the garden.

Awesome on the artichokes.  We tried growing them a few years ago, but they just didn't do well for some reason.  i think the growing season here may be too short.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:34 am »
I finally got the garden in last weekend.  I have Napa grape hybrid, large cherry, early girl, big boy, better boy, Roma, and Tomatillo tomatoes, California Wonder, Cajun Bell, Sweet Cherry hybrid, jalapeno, Sweet Golden Cali Wonder Peppers, Yellow Crookneck Squash, Zucchini, Straight 8 and Bush Pickling Cucumbers, Rhubarb, Hybrid Eggplant, Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Dill, Italian Oregeno, Purple Sage, Thyme, an Parsley.  I'm sure I forgot something but this is to the best of my memory.

I started some asparagas root this year but won't get a harvest from that until next year.

Of course my hops but that's a different thread.

I'll post some pics soon.  :)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:54 am »
I finally got the garden in last weekend.  I have Napa grape hybrid, large cherry, early girl, big boy, better boy, Roma, and Tomatillo tomatoes, California Wonder, Cajun Bell, Sweet Cherry hybrid, jalapeno, Sweet Golden Cali Wonder Peppers, Yellow Crookneck Squash, Zucchini, Straight 8 and Bush Pickling Cucumbers, Rhubarb, Hybrid Eggplant, Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Dill, Italian Oregeno, Purple Sage, Thyme, an Parsley.  I'm sure I forgot something but this is to the best of my memory.

I started some asparagas root this year but won't get a harvest from that until next year.

Don't forget Rosemary ;)  Sorry, couldn't resist.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2012, 12:16:55 pm »
I've been eating handfuls of radishes every day for 2 weeks and I still can't keep up with them.  We got 4 inches of actual rain last week(twice what we got the past 2 years) and everything is really taking off.  My russets are flowering, the red potatoes are looking good, starting to eat some spinach an my tomato plants are full of green tomatoes.  I've got 4' yellow squash and a few little zukes, beets are getting some roots, and my cucumber vines are taking off.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2012, 12:42:23 pm »

Don't forget Rosemary ;)  Sorry, couldn't resist.

funny Jim... :P

for everyone else here...Rosemary is actually my wife's name.
Ron Price

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »
Almost planting time here, onions are in and the broilers are here, the veggies are in their pots waiting for warm soil.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:01 pm »
My newest garden addition (well okay, it's not going in the ground but it will live in the garden for the summer at least.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2012, 02:06:20 am »
Jeeze, dats a cute little buggah...  kinda looks like a pineapple, only tiny.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:44 am »
So what do I do to make it get bigger (giggles girlishly)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2012, 08:58:40 am »
Time sir.  That's what it takes. And a little TLC.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2012, 10:33:30 am »
No, that little one is as big as it's gonna get.  It will be changing color soon.  Look at the size and number of flower sections.  It is destined to be a baseball sized pineapple.

Pineapples are waaaay easy to grow.  Buy a whole one at the store, twist the leafy top off like opening a bottle of soda (cut and eat the bottom part)  let the top dry for a few days,  peel away about 10 rows or so of smaller leaves from the bottom part to expose about an inch of the trunk, and stick it into some potting soil.  It will take two years to fruit from a top cut this way.  Once the plant has fruited it will send out suckers from the roots.   These suckers are the best way to plant pineapples.  They fruit in one year and make the biggest fruit.

Once a plant has produced fruit it will produce more fruit each year, but each successive fruit will be smaller.

I fertilize my pineapple patch with 16-16-16 at Halloween and New Years.  They love that and grow very big and tasty.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2012, 10:46:05 am »
No, that little one is as big as it's gonna get.  It will be changing color soon.  Look at the size and number of flower sections.  It is destined to be a baseball sized pineapple.

Pineapples are waaaay easy to grow.  Buy a whole one at the store, twist the leafy top off like opening a bottle of soda (cut and eat the bottom part)  let the top dry for a few days,  peel away about 10 rows or so of smaller leaves from the bottom part to expose about an inch of the trunk, and stick it into some potting soil.  It will take two years to fruit from a top cut this way.  Once the plant has fruited it will send out suckers from the roots.   These suckers are the best way to plant pineapples.  They fruit in one year and make the biggest fruit.

Once a plant has produced fruit it will produce more fruit each year, but each successive fruit will be smaller.

I fertilize my pineapple patch with 16-16-16 at Halloween and New Years.  They love that and grow very big and tasty.

I thnk this might spawn another thread but...

I figured the little one was as big as it's going to get. I have started a top once before but I was living in VT and it couldn't cope with the winter lack of light. so it never really did much. So are you saying that this plant will never make a bigger fruit than this one? even if I repot in a bigger pot and give it food? Will compost work for feeding?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline punatic

« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »
Here are some photos I took back at the end of February:

Each one of the spikes on the fruit is a flower.  After the fruit flowers the fruit grows bigger and the spike transforms into a hexagon shape on the side of the fruit about the size of a quarter.  Once the hexagons are flat the fruit is as big as it's going to get.

The flower spikes follow a curving row from top to bottom of the fruit kinda like a barber pole spiral.  In the top photo you can see that there are seven flower spikes in a row.  That pineapple (was very yummy) ended up being about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle.

This second photo shows the flowers better.  It was a white pineapple (Kona Sugarloaf variety), a bit smaller than the one in the top photo.

Your pineapple has three hexagons per row.  The hexagons are pretty much flattened out.  It's as big as it's going to get.  I suspect it is more of an ornamental than an eating pineapple.  It will probably change colors sometime in July-August.

Your plant will probably not produce fruit any bigger that the one you have.  If you are patient you can start a top and get a big fruit in two years.  A (what they call) 5 gallon pot (actually closer to 3.5 gallons) is the perfect size to grow a pineapple in.  Fertilize a couple of times a year and it will GROW.  Do not fertilize after you see the center part of the plant turn red and the baby pineapple appears.

You can probably by a yearling sucker at a garden shop or online if you are not the patient type.

Click on the photos to zoom in.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:08:09 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2012, 04:23:58 pm »
Wow, piƱa in the garden must be awesome.

I will never forget having a fresh one from the field, slain with machete.
Amazing.

Starting to get some goods here for burrito makings. 8)