Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225589 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2012, 06:33:23 pm »
And my first stab at onions in this evening's light:

Maybe 10 pounds or so. Next crop will be different story.

Nice job on the leeks pinnah. I failed my first try at them.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2012, 05:17:18 am »
I haven't started growing stuff on purpose yet, but there's a good crop of nettles growing on the property where we're building a house. I picked a bunch a couple weeks ago and made enchiladas.

Phil, I saw a few pages back that you're wondering what to do with poblanos. I wish I could get poblanos (I did find something similar from a middle-eastern market). I used to roast them and use them as a base with tomatillos for veggie green chili. Works alright without the tomatillos, too.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2012, 06:50:45 am »
I haven't started growing stuff on purpose yet, but there's a good crop of nettles growing on the property where we're building a house. I picked a bunch a couple weeks ago and made enchiladas.

Phil, I saw a few pages back that you're wondering what to do with poblanos. I wish I could get poblanos (I did find something similar from a middle-eastern market). I used to roast them and use them as a base with tomatillos for veggie green chili. Works alright without the tomatillos, too.

www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/ will ship to europe!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:55 am »
Pablano = Cheese Chili Relleno with Verde sauce.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2012, 07:58:49 am »
Here are some photos I took back at the end of February:

Each one of the spikes on the fruit is a flower.  After the fruit flowers the fruit grows bigger and the spike transforms into a hexagon shape on the side of the fruit about the size of a quarter.  Once the hexagons are flat the fruit is as big as it's going to get.

The flower spikes follow a curving row from top to bottom of the fruit kinda like a barber pole spiral.  In the top photo you can see that there are seven flower spikes in a row.  That pineapple (was very yummy) ended up being about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle.

This second photo shows the flowers better.  It was a white pineapple (Kona Sugarloaf variety), a bit smaller than the one in the top photo.

Your pineapple has three hexagons per row.  The hexagons are pretty much flattened out.  It's as big as it's going to get.  I suspect it is more of an ornamental than an eating pineapple.  It will probably change colors sometime in July-August.

Your plant will probably not produce fruit any bigger that the one you have.  If you are patient you can start a top and get a big fruit in two years.  A (what they call) 5 gallon pot (actually closer to 3.5 gallons) is the perfect size to grow a pineapple in.  Fertilize a couple of times a year and it will GROW.  Do not fertilize after you see the center part of the plant turn red and the baby pineapple appears.

You can probably by a yearling sucker at a garden shop or online if you are not the patient type.

Click on the photos to zoom in.

Took those in February????

I'm moving...

Read through the whole thread, and now I'm inspired! We've picked out a good spot for the garden, just have to fence it off from the pooches. Hops are already in the ground, they just need a trellis!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:45:50 am by kylekohlmorgen »
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00:24 am »
Once your pineapples get established (pretty quickly) they will be able to take care of themsevles.  Their leaves are long and spike-like.  I wear eye protection when I work on my pineapple patch.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2012, 01:29:41 pm »
  I wear eye protection when I work on my pineapple patch.

Better safe than never, I always say ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »
  I wear eye protection when I work on my pineapple patch.

Better safe than never, I always say ;)

or as the burning man motto goes 'Safety Third!'
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2012, 05:11:04 pm »

Nettle enchiladas?  wow, interesting.  Kind of like spinach enchiladas?  Do tell. 8)

Phil, you might read the poblano thread, some good stuff in there.

Picked a bowl of strawberries last night.  fun to eat them by the handful.

Cheers.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2012, 06:11:13 pm »
We actually have enough cherries this year where we're not competing at a loss with the birds!  Too lazy to net this year, maybe next year. ;D
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline punatic

« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2012, 09:58:57 pm »
We actually have enough cherries this year where we're not competing at a loss with the birds!  Too lazy to net this year, maybe next year. ;D

Ditto, except it's lychees here.  Bumper crop of lychees this year, even with the birds taking a share. 

Can you say lychee melomel -> and lychee eau de vie?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »

Ditto, except it's lychees here.  Bumper crop of lychees this year, even with the birds taking a share. 

Can you say lychee melomel -> and lychee eau de vie?

Lychee melomel sounds interesting. Lychee pyment with Gewurztraminer grapes sounds even more interesting.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »
I like my lychees straight up. 

However, I am a big fan of riesling pyment from kiawe (Hawaiian mesquite) honey.  Subtle and complex... yum!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:33 am »
Nettle enchiladas?  wow, interesting.  Kind of like spinach enchiladas?  Do tell. 8)

Yep, exactly like spinach enchiladas. The texture was a little different, but partially because I think I squeezed too much liquid out of the nettles after I cooked them. I could've told you they were spinach enchiladas and you wouldn't have know the difference. You could easily use nettles anywhere you use spinach. Some picking advice: pluck the section of the top 3 leaves. The stem is soft enough there to use it all. Don't pick plants that have flowered. Supposedly they create some chemical after flowering that can irritate the urinary tract. Oh, of course, use gloves. To cook, dunk in boiling water for at least 30 seconds. I did about 1.5 minutes to soften enough for the enchiladas. Want a quick little adrenaline rush? That first bite of nettles after cooking. It's hard to believe that a little boiling water will get rid of the sting.  :)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:21 am »
@$!(*&% birds ate all the ripe blueberries! I never even got to see them!  :'( :'( :'( :'(
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!