Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458504 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1890 on: February 23, 2012, 05:54:51 pm »
I smoked some garlic last summer and it was very tasty.  Cut the top off, then rubbed w/ olive oil and left in smoker for about an hour.  I then wrapped them in foil and finished off for another hour.

+100 on this!  Smoked/roasted garlic ROCKS! Add an IIPA to drink with it and life hardly gets any better.   I just need to eat a handful of beano before eating the garlic.   :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1891 on: February 23, 2012, 06:02:33 pm »
I smoked some garlic last summer and it was very tasty.  Cut the top off, then rubbed w/ olive oil and left in smoker for about an hour.  I then wrapped them in foil and finished off for another hour.

+100 on this!  Smoked/roasted garlic ROCKS! Add an IIPA to drink with it and life hardly gets any better.   I just need to eat a handful of beano before eating the garlic.   :o

The flavor of caramelized roasted garlic is friggin' splendid!
Ron Price

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1892 on: February 23, 2012, 06:51:50 pm »
Smoked jalepenos (chipoltes) at the end of the gardening season.

As far as equipment- I'm a big fan of the old Enteprise stuffer I picked up.  I don't use it enough to justify the price but I'm certain that if I ever want to sell it I'll come out ahead.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1893 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:09 pm »
Looks awesome phil!  8)

Did you use file powder?

Really! Not Okra?

File powder is like going extract, IMO.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1894 on: February 24, 2012, 12:08:23 am »
BBQ and smoking is so intriguing. however as a vegetarian I can't justify buyng a smoker or anything unless...

What are some non-meat things y'all bbq or smoke?

I've smoked tofu before. It was pretty tasty. I like to "brine" or soak the tofu in soy sauce or some other salty solution for 30 minutes or an hour then throw it in the weber to smoke at 250 for an hour or 2. Get's nice a firm and tastes great.

good call, I love smoked tofu coated with chopped pistachios and grilled briefly. sliced on salad with olives and egg salda nicouce.. nicoise... whatever, you get the idea. damn french (the language not the country).

I would try hard boiled eggs and cheese, If you are lacto ovo inclined. If you want to go to the darkside find some grass feed beef and pork,maybe open pastured poultry. The thing you got to ask yourself is the genetically modified soy better than grass feed animal?  I would follow my conscience.

That all said grow your own what ever that be, eat close to the ground, know what you eat and know your food provider.

After 12 years of being vegitarian(my wife was a veg for 25 years), and health concerns, we went with what we could grow. Alot of hard work but worth it, you are responsible for the life on your charge and take. I think it is your choice of what you can get or grow.

I would suggest everyone to investigate the pastured beef,pork,chicken and other polutry. 

Not saying to go to Walmart the worst you can do.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1895 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:20 am »
Smoked tofu is awesome! I use the firmest and press the cakes. Then they'll soak up the marinade. Holds up well to lengthy smoking. Great sliced in a variety of applications.

Speaking of walmart I buy my brisket there because they carry "choice" packers.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1896 on: February 24, 2012, 12:27:46 am »
Not knocking it, but you got to read labels, just as I refered in my last post. Know what goes in your mouth

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1897 on: February 24, 2012, 12:46:45 am »
Of course. Most meat at walmart I won't buy. Enhanced up to 12% solution...! That's 12% water weight you mean. :o I choose my own brine!

Too bad my 0.19 acre only supports the local fauna. But the garden produces well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1898 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:01 am »
Fufu! Well, maybe not 100% fufu, but take some yams and plantains, mash them up into patties, smoke 'em. That's pretty tasty right there. Nearly taste like smoked chicken.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #1899 on: February 24, 2012, 02:20:33 am »
I talked to one of my brewing buddies about my UDS today, I think he might build one :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1900 on: February 24, 2012, 05:30:11 am »
I talked to one of my brewing buddies about my UDS today, I think he might build one :)

If I can get my hands on a used foodgrade drum...I'm building one too.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #1901 on: February 24, 2012, 06:13:03 am »

Pot
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #1902 on: February 24, 2012, 07:58:04 am »
Really! Not Okra?

File powder is like going extract, IMO.

Seems you missed his later post...

I used okra and filé so it was extra thick.
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #1903 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:03 am »
BBQ and smoking is so intriguing. however as a vegetarian I can't justify buyng a smoker or anything unless...

I've smoked tofu before. It was pretty tasty. I like to "brine" or soak the tofu in soy sauce or some other salty solution for 30 minutes or an hour then throw it in the weber to smoke at 250 for an hour or 2. Get's nice a firm and tastes great.

good call, I love smoked tofu coated with chopped pistachios and grilled briefly. sliced on salad with olives and egg salda nicouce.. nicoise... whatever, you get the idea. damn french (the language not the country).

I would try hard boiled eggs and cheese, If you are lacto ovo inclined. If you want to go to the darkside find some grass feed beef and pork,maybe open pastured poultry. The thing you got to ask yourself is the genetically modified soy better than grass feed animal?  I would follow my conscience.

That all said grow your own what ever that be, eat close to the ground, know what you eat and know your food provider.

After 12 years of being vegitarian(my wife was a veg for 25 years), and health concerns, we went with what we could grow. Alot of hard work but worth it, you are responsible for the life on your charge and take. I think it is your choice of what you can get or grow.

I would suggest everyone to investigate the pastured beef,pork,chicken and other polutry. 

Not saying to go to Walmart the worst you can do.

I hear you on eating close to the ground. We just got our seeds this week and I have been preparing the garden on weekends for the last month or two. We actually just harvested our winter brocolli for dinner last night. yum. HB eggs are an intriguing idea. Maybe I will have to rig up a little smoker for playing with. Cheese too.

Don't forsee going over to the 'dark side' as I was born and raised veggie but the wife likes a piece of fish now and again. I admire those that take life seriously enough to raise and butcher their own meat/poultry. If your going to eat it you should be willing and able to kill it in my mind.

Pot

I will keep that in mind as well carl.  ::)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #1904 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:12 am »
My beef comes from my parent's cattle.

My pork comes from my parent's neighbors pigs.

My lamb comes from another of my parent's neighbors.

All my other meat comes from the animal(s) I harvest in hunting season.  Elk and antelope mostly.

That's my choice, but I feel it's the best, healthiest meat.  I have the great fortune of being able to eat this kind of quality meat.  Others are not as fortunate, which is unfortunate. 

I think I'll smoke some ribs on sunday.  Maybe I'll remember to take a picture so I can actually contribute to the drooling associated with this thread.