Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183197 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 07:13:11 am »
Disagreed. I like bourbon. You guys can keep the scotch. I never found the taste for the stuff. And I realley detest peat, in whiskey and beer.

I had never tasted Scotch prior to this year. But when I did, all I could think as a BJCP judge was: Defect...chlorophenols.  The experience also helped me realize that some people just aren't very sensitive to chlorophenol in beer either. Possibly because they either don't taste it or think it's an attribute (probably from drinking scotch!).

I think you just nailed it. to me, every time I drink scotch it tastes like an off flavor. Chlorophenols seem to fit the bill. I'm not a beer judge but I do have a very sensitive pallet.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:15:01 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 07:29:57 am »
All this talk about whiskey has made me happy it's the weekend. I haven't had a bourbon in 2 or 3 weeks and I think I'll pick me up something nice tonight. :)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 08:06:12 am »
Disagreed. I like bourbon. You guys can keep the scotch. I never found the taste for the stuff. And I realley detest peat, in whiskey and beer.

I had never tasted Scotch prior to this year. But when I did, all I could think as a BJCP judge was: Defect...chlorophenols.  The experience also helped me realize that some people just aren't very sensitive to chlorophenol in beer either. Possibly because they either don't taste it or think it's an attribute (probably from drinking scotch!).

What kind of scotch were you drinking? I could get on board with that idea on peated scotches but mainland scotches won't have that medicinal flavor of chlorophenols. There is a harder mineral taste in them than bourbon or Canadian whiskey but not chlorophenols.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 08:25:28 am »
I don't think I've seen anyone mention Eagle Rare. For the price, my favorite bourbon. Also, where are you finding Makers for 20 a bottle. It's easily 25-28 where I live. Taxes? Eagle Rare is 31 and much better than Makers IMHO.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 08:27:30 am »

What kind of scotch were you drinking? I could get on board with that idea on peated scotches but mainland scotches won't have that medicinal flavor of chlorophenols. There is a harder mineral taste in them than bourbon or Canadian whiskey but not chlorophenols.

+1.  Not all scotches are created equal. There is a huge variety in terms of peatiness/smokiness, from heavy all the way down to basically none. I've never gotten a medicinal flavor from a scotch.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 08:34:47 am »
Eagle rare is very good too. Might be my choice tonight.

Re:scotch. I used to subscribe to Malt Advocate years and years ago and they were I've scotch enthusiasts and I tried many of the scotches they recommended that I could afford and the range was from diesel to road tar to salty to some other flavor I find in bourbons I don't care for (if anyone has had Pearse Lyons reserve) and I just have never found them pleasant. No ones fault, just not my drink.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:50 am »
I can get Maker's for just under $20 here. However, I've come to find wine and spirits are generally cheaper than in other places. Beer not so much. :(

What I get out of peaty scotch was iodine, but that could just be the Island scotch(s) tried.

Regarding "Entry level": which to me means no wild, odd or unique characteristics reserved for the discerning whiskey drinker's palate. I want to work myself up to being a connoisseur.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:58 am »
Agreed on Scotch.  I like good bourbon, but no comparison for me. Single malt rocks.

I keep Scotch in the cabinet for my father and for guests.  It rarely, if ever, crosses my palate.  I try to keep one bottle of lowland and one highland.

Eagle Rare is good stuff.  I can get behind that.  One of my new favorites is Noah's Mill (did I say that already), but it's not $20 bourbon.

Regarding "Entry level": which to me means no wild, odd or unique characteristics reserved for the discerning whiskey drinker's palate. I want to work myself up to being a connoisseur.

As far as bourbon, you won't get much wild or odd flavors.  If it's got rye in the bill, it will be sharper.  The Wellers are wheated whiskeys, IIRC, as are most of the Willets.  Willet tends to be pricier.  I believe the wheated whiskeys may be smoother.  Not positive, but I think Makers is wheated.

If you want to try Scotch, I'd go with a highland whiskey.  My recollection is they are smoother, less peaty, not briney.  But they still have the problem of tasting like Scotch.  Or maybe start with a blend, rather than jumping right on the single malts.  Johnny Walker is mass produced and most single malt people will turn up their noses, but it might be a decent starting point.  Scotch is an acquired taste which I do not intend to acquire.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:02 am »
But they still have the problem of tasting like Scotch.

That's pretty funny right there what you did.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:29 am »

Never could develop a taste for rauchbier for that reason.  I love German bier styles, but when I was in Bamberg  I found a style I couldn't drink.  Tastes like a bottle of band aids to me.

I like the peated Scotches and love smoked food, but just can't take the perception of phenols in smoked beer.

Favorite whiskey-wise, I love my Uncle Jessie's Sour Mash.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:20:19 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 11:08:07 am »
I had some Evan Williams for the first time last night and found it to be undrinkable.  It was passable in an old fashioned, but neat it was awful.  I prefer Beam for blending.  I don't drink much bourbon.

Whisky on the other hand, I love.  I don't drink it very often, so when I do I want the good stuff.  I finished off the last of a bottle of Balvenie last week.  I had some Ardbeg Galileo a couple of weeks ago that was really outstanding.

I love smoked beers, but hate peated malt and Briess cherry smoked malt in beer.  They are too harsh and phenolic.  That I hate those but love a really peaty whisky probably makes no sense, but that's the way it is.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2013, 11:16:43 am »
I had some Evan Williams for the first time last night and found it to be undrinkable.  It was passable in an old fashioned, but neat it was awful.  I prefer Beam for blending.  I don't drink much bourbon.

Whisky on the other hand, I love.  I don't drink it very often, so when I do I want the good stuff.  I finished off the last of a bottle of Balvenie last week.  I had some Ardbeg Galileo a couple of weeks ago that was really outstanding.

I love smoked beers, but hate peated malt and Briess cherry smoked malt in beer.  They are too harsh and phenolic.  That I hate those but love a really peaty whisky probably makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

My tastes exactly. I remember the first Scottish ale I made - I used the peated malt back in the day believing that was the right thing to do and HATED it. Gave it all away. But I love Balvenie, Ardberg, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, Talisker, etc all day long.
Jon H.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:28 am »
My tastes exactly. I remember the first Scottish ale I made - I used the peated malt back in the day believing that was the right thing to do and HATED it. Gave it all away. But I love Balvenie, Ardberg, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, Talisker, etc all day long.
I love those all too.  And a good Laphroaig as well, I have some Laphroaig Cairdeas that is awesome.  The local store has some of the Glenmorangie Ealanta on the shelf, I drool over that but it's out of my price range.  It takes me a long time to go through a bottle, but that just spreads out the enjoyment.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2013, 11:42:07 am »
I had some Evan Williams for the first time last night and found it to be undrinkable. 

Yeah, Evan Williams is rot gut. The Single Barrel is very good though - surprisingly good. Least it used to be when I last had it, but that was over 10 years ago probably.

If you just got plain old Evan Williams and atempted to drink that straight ..... that's funny.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 11:55:43 am »
If you just got plain old Evan Williams and atempted to drink that straight ..... that's funny.

I have done so.  Recently.  Not so funny.

Single Barrel is $27 at Binny's.  I need to check my local and see if they have it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton