Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180521 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1065 on: February 19, 2019, 08:41:58 am »
I typically never go on the first taste alone. I'm only gonna hit this one more time ice cold before letting it warm up. Ice cold it was certainly a pass, but why would anyone drink Scotch ice cold?

Fixed it for you.

In truth, I'll drink it on occasion.  Just not often and not my first choice.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

narvin

« Reply #1066 on: February 19, 2019, 08:54:23 am »
I typically never go on the first taste alone. I'm only gonna hit this one more time ice cold before letting it warm up. Ice cold it was certainly a pass, but why would anyone drink Scotch ice cold?

Fixed it for you.

In truth, I'll drink it on occasion.  Just not often and not my first choice.

To each their own!  That's kind of how I feel about Irish whiskey.

I was trying to pick up the January release of Elijah Craig barrel proof but struck out.  Any semi-rare bourbons are impossible to find these days.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1067 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:34 am »
Had the pleasure of trying Knob Creek Twice Barreled Rye. In a word...delicious. I'll be picking up a bottle soon.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #1068 on: March 18, 2019, 03:38:43 pm »
For St Patrick's Day I picked up a bottle of The Irishman Founder's Reserve.  The label designates it as 70% Single Malt and 30% Single Pot Still.  Looking at the Walsh Whiskey website there's also a 100% single malt version plus a couple special ones like Rum Cask, Sherry Cask etc. The Founders was the only one available at our store.

Tried it three ways, first neat, then in an Old Fashioned and then blended with Irish Cream.

Neat was the winner, which wasn't a surprise.  It's incredibly smooth, clean flavor with just a touch of alcohol burn and a sweet brown sugar type finish that I find common in Irish whiskey.

It was OK in the Old Fashioned but it wasn't remarkable, and the Irish cream overpowered it to the point you couldn't tell it was there, which is just dangerous even for the 13% Wine based cream you can get at a grocery store versus the 25-30% whiskey made stuff you have to get at the liquor store.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1069 on: March 19, 2019, 02:28:41 pm »
I really like it and tend to pick up a bottle whenever it goes on sale.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #1070 on: March 22, 2019, 01:29:56 pm »
I think it's going to start making an appearance in the rotation for sure. You can't beat the price ($25/750ml in Oregon) and I've always been a big Bushmills fan but this might be better for about the same price (Bushmills 10 and Red Bush are $27 if I remember correctly).  Bushmills 16y is still probably my all time favorite Irish but for ~$100 a bottle (and 16-18$ per bar pour) that's going to remain a special occasion dram and not a regular.

I saw a lot of promotion for the Proper No. 12 whiskey and I was going to give that a try (similar price range, $27-30) but when I saw it was owned by MMA "star" Conner MacGregor that actually kinda turned me off a bit.  It might be good whiskey, but that dude's a jackass, and I know full well he just plopped down some cash and slapped his name on it. Which, in hindsight is probably good he doesn't have anything to do with the whiskey making.  There's better people I can give my money too.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #1071 on: March 24, 2019, 12:35:29 pm »
bulleit neat 1 ice chip
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1072 on: March 24, 2019, 08:15:04 pm »
Finished off the bottle of Johnnie Walker White Walker last night. Tried it cold a few times and then brought to room temp for the rest of the bottle. Not worth the price of admission.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1073 on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:02 am »
Finished off The Quiet Man Irish Whiskey last night. It was a very nice bottle and I snagged it for $25. I think one of the reasons I liked it is they finish the Whiskey in Bourbon barrels. It had a nice citrus presence with hints of oak and leather. They have an 8 year old I'm going to look for as well.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1074 on: May 01, 2019, 02:15:12 pm »
Finished off a bottle of Jim Beam Repeal Batch. I think it was about $17 before tax. Rather boring in terms of flavor, but easy to consume. Even at that price point I can think of other bottles I prefer. If you are a Beam fan it certainly would be one to try.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1075 on: May 01, 2019, 07:40:34 pm »
Have a bottle of that at the place in Michigan. Didn’t think it was bad but not memorable. Think I paid $15 at Walmart. It’s close to $20 here in Chicago. Just got back from Ireland and brought back a Glendalough whiskey. Had a glass over there but didn’t take notes. There’s a whole ton of Irish whiskeys I may need to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1076 on: May 02, 2019, 05:12:20 am »
Have a bottle of that at the place in Michigan. Didn’t think it was bad but not memorable. Think I paid $15 at Walmart. It’s close to $20 here in Chicago. Just got back from Ireland and brought back a Glendalough whiskey. Had a glass over there but didn’t take notes. There’s a whole ton of Irish whiskeys I may need to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have been enjoying Writer's Tears Irish whiskey.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1077 on: May 02, 2019, 06:09:13 am »
Writers Tears is one I am working my way through at the moment. I haven't penned my notes on it yet, but off the top of my head seem to remember a crisp apple and citrus character. It's tasty, but the price of admission is on the high side for me. A bottle of Irishman Founders Reserve is often $25 or less while Writers Tears is $40.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1078 on: May 02, 2019, 10:18:29 am »
I am not familiar with Writer's Tears.  But I've not done a wide sample of Irish whiskey.  Always stuck to Jameson until I tried Red Breast and Green Spot. Tullamore Dew Reserve is also on my list, but that's about as far as I've ranged.

They were tasting a few bottles at the airport when we flew back.  I tried Pearse and Ha'Penny.  Both were solid.  The Pearse was quite smoky, but I don't recall which bottle.  Looks like you can get Pearse and Glendalough whiskeys here in the States.  Not sure about the Ha'Penny though.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1079 on: May 02, 2019, 10:29:12 am »
I am not familiar with Writer's Tears.  But I've not done a wide sample of Irish whiskey.  Always stuck to Jameson until I tried Red Breast and Green Spot. Tullamore Dew Reserve is also on my list, but that's about as far as I've ranged.

They were tasting a few bottles at the airport when we flew back.  I tried Pearse and Ha'Penny.  Both were solid.  The Pearse was quite smoky, but I don't recall which bottle.  Looks like you can get Pearse and Glendalough whiskeys here in the States.  Not sure about the Ha'Penny though.
We originally got a taste of Writer’s Tears at a sampling in a liquor store in Dublin. 
I looked for Irishman’s Founders Reserve the last time I was at my local store, but the bottle they stocked was over $60.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995