Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183162 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2013, 09:29:31 am »
You know, I've been wishing I asked if they hopped the beer. I'm guessing no - in fact I smelled the fermenting stout wash and didn't smell hops. They may just be using the grain bill from those beers. I can imagine that bitterness would be weird after distillation. The dry hopped whiskey is dry hopped after distillation (I think anyway) - It's a pretty fresh hop flavor.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:13 am »
Don't know how I missed this post...perhaps I need to pay more attention. I'm a huge bourbon fan! I also like the more full bodied and flavored bourbons. Pappy, Bookers, Knob Creek...to name a few. Here's a small collection of my favorites.

I agree with how you set priorities.  Why waste money on something as superficial as drywall when it is much better spent on spirits!   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:30 am »
You know, I've been wishing I asked if they hopped the beer. I'm guessing no - in fact I smelled the fermenting stout wash and didn't smell hops. They may just be using the grain bill from those beers. I can imagine that bitterness would be weird after distillation. The dry hopped whiskey is dry hopped after distillation (I think anyway) - It's a pretty fresh hop flavor.

The hops do not come across as bitter.  It is a funky flavor that comes from the part of hops that volatilize at the same temperature as ethanol in the distillation process.  The flavor does not diminish with successive distillations either.  That's what makes me think the flavor component has the same vapor pressure as ethanol. 

Dry hopped after distillation...  Hmmm...  Interesting idea.  I'm gonna have to give that a try.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:41:15 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2013, 09:41:04 am »

Don't know how I missed this post...perhaps I need to pay more attention. I'm a huge bourbon fan! I also like the more full bodied and flavored bourbons. Pappy, Bookers, Knob Creek...to name a few. Here's a small collection of my favorites.

I agree with how you set priorities.  Why waste money on something as superficial as drywall when it is much better spent on spirits!   ;D

This is my cellar where all of the Zymurgical wonders occur.

Ron Price

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2013, 05:36:21 pm »
Whiskey = Instant heartburn for me. I wish I could enjoy it, my brother is a huge whiskey fan and would like to join in.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2013, 09:01:03 pm »

Whiskey = Instant heartburn for me. I wish I could enjoy it, my brother is a huge whiskey fan and would like to join in.

Me too. I just power through it though. Whiskey's just too damn good.
Trey W.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2014, 09:25:04 pm »
Personally, I skip the blended scotches though there are some solid ones - much like I like straight bourbons way better than blended Canadian types. For an entry level single malt Glenlivet 12 would be the starting point, both in price (~$ 27-29ish) and character. It's malty sweet but not overly, without a good bit of the smokey peat you don't care for.
  If you can (or want to) spend ~ $40 or $42, Balvenie DoubleWood is a steal. It's aged in ex-bourbon and sherry casks (hence the name DoubleWood), is complex, and also lacks the heavy peat/smoke character of some. It's the first bottle of single malt I bought and I still love it.

<EDIT>
I'd also add Glenmorangie as a great Scotch which is on a price range with Balvenie. I love many of the pricier, smokier scotches as well, but since you requested something fairly affordable and not too peaty I recommended these to fit the bill.

Thanks for the recommendation Hoosier, this will be my tasting for the evening. Also trying out the new glass and whiskey stones.  Personally, I'm guessing the stones are going to end up being gimmicky but I'll use them proudly as it was a really thoughtful gift.  Cheers!

PS- This stuff aint cheap in Oregon, $59 for the bottle. Thank you Oregon Liquor Control Commission.  :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:11:01 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »
Personally, I skip the blended scotches though there are some solid ones - much like I like straight bourbons way better than blended Canadian types. For an entry level single malt Glenlivet 12 would be the starting point, both in price (~$ 27-29ish) and character. It's malty sweet but not overly, without a good bit of the smokey peat you don't care for.
  If you can (or want to) spend ~ $40 or $42, Balvenie DoubleWood is a steal. It's aged in ex-bourbon and sherry casks (hence the name DoubleWood), is complex, and also lacks the heavy peat/smoke character of some. It's the first bottle of single malt I bought and I still love it.

<EDIT>
I'd also add Glenmorangie as a great Scotch which is on a price range with Balvenie. I love many of the pricier, smokier scotches as well, but since you requested something fairly affordable and not too peaty I recommended these to fit the bill.

Thanks for the recommendation Hoosier, this will be my tasting for the evening. Also trying out the new glass and whiskey stones.  Personally, I'm guessing the stones are going to end up being gimmicky but I'll use them proudly as it was a really thoughtful gift.  Cheers!

PS- This stuff aint cheap in Oregon, $59 for the bottle. Thank you Oregon Liquor Control Commission.  :P

Yeah, I have the stones and they don't do much for me. I either go neat with about two straws full of cold, filtered water or with one or two ice cubes. I enjoy seeing how the flavors change as the ice slowly melts and progressively dilutes the Scotch.

The tasting glass, on the other hand is a fantastic investment. Love mine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:03 pm »

You sir, are hilarious!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2014, 12:05:00 am »
Finally cracked a bottle of Old Bardstown. And I mean cracked. F'ing wax on a screw-cap. Honestly it was a messy struggle to open the bottle.

Anyway. Nice bourbon and really smooth at 101 proof. To me it is kinda like Scotch. Think this one will be savored.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:18 am »
Finally cracked a bottle of Old Bardstown. And I mean cracked. F'ing wax on a screw-cap. Honestly it was a messy struggle to open the bottle.

Anyway. Nice bourbon and really smooth at 101 proof. To me it is kinda like Scotch. Think this one will be savored.

Just kegged my Bourbon Porter today.  I used Old Bardstown for 5 gal, and Buffalo Trace for the other 5 gal.  I consider these very solid bourbons. I think both will be great.

In line with the rest of the post, for those considering budget, take a look at Rebel Yell.  Around here, same price (or slightly cheaper) than Evan Williams and a whole lot better.   A couple years ago I split my porter with Evan in one keg and local small batch bourbon from Tuthilltown in the other. The Evan was noticeably more raw and rough in the beer.  The Tuthilltown was nice but at $40+ for a 375ml bottle I won't be trying it again (that one was a gift...)

red

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:50 am »
I wonder how that Maker's bottle is going to appear when the label is in Japanese? ;)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BEAM_ACQUISITION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-01-13-07-19-30
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:14 am »
Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2014, 11:36:09 am »
I wonder how that Maker's bottle is going to appear when the label is in Japanese? ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:05 am »
Whiskey is getting very big in Japan. Wasn't expecting it but am not surprised it happened. 13 Billion is a lot of dough.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:57:35 am by brewmichigan »
Mike --- Flint, Michigan