Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183061 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2014, 03:21:37 pm »
Just checking back in on this thread.  I've heard lots of recommendations for Four Roses yellow label so I picked up a bottle.  Not so impressed.  Kind of thin on flavor and what flavor exists is a bit... harsh is not the right word, but close.

I think the Double Barrel Preston's will blow you away. The nose is just is a thing to behold.

Wondering if you meant Pritchard's.  I found some of that, but it's $70 a bottle.  I skipped it and picked up the Four Roses yellow plus a bottle of their Single Barrel.  The single barrel is one of my favorites.

Snow and cold tonight, so I'll be tippling a glass or two.  Probably go with the Single Barrel or with Noah's Mill.  No cheap stuff tonight.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2014, 02:44:43 pm »
Has nobody mentioned Tullamore Dew yet?  Under $20 and it's the best Irish whiskey available at any price anywhere.  $20 will get you a bottle and two whiskey glasses.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2014, 08:21:30 am »
Just checking back in on this thread.  I've heard lots of recommendations for Four Roses yellow label so I picked up a bottle.  Not so impressed.  Kind of thin on flavor and what flavor exists is a bit... harsh is not the right word, but close.

I think the Double Barrel Preston's will blow you away. The nose is just is a thing to behold.

Wondering if you meant Pritchard's.  I found some of that, but it's $70 a bottle.  I skipped it and picked up the Four Roses yellow plus a bottle of their Single Barrel.  The single barrel is one of my favorites.

Snow and cold tonight, so I'll be tippling a glass or two.  Probably go with the Single Barrel or with Noah's Mill.  No cheap stuff tonight.

Sorry about that. I did mean Pritchard's. I do enjoy Noah's Mill a bit more, fwiw.
Kyle M.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2014, 05:39:31 pm »
Pritchard's is literally right up the road from across the state line. As a matter of fact, I have some fermentors in my brewery that used to belong to Pritchards'.  Their whiskey not too bad. Way over priced though.

Speaking of overpriced, Maker's at $30/bottle here now that they raised the prices. That's too much to spend on Maker's.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2014, 07:47:31 am »
Maker's is kinda boring to me.

Side note - unless you like really sweet skip the Knob Creek Smoked Maple.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2014, 08:11:53 am »

I don't disagree but back in the day it was a good every day whiskey for $20 fifth.

Someone mentioned Eagle Rare - just picked up a bottle (same price as Maker's) and, if I didn't know any better I'd think it was Maker's.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:12 am »

I don't disagree but back in the day it was a good every day whiskey for $20 fifth.

Someone mentioned Eagle Rare - just picked up a bottle (same price as Maker's) and, if I didn't know any better I'd think it was Maker's.

You do some variety from Eagle Rare single barrel, some better than other. Guess I've been lucky. It can be a bit hot, almost cinnamony.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

You do some variety from Eagle Rare single barrel, some better than other. Guess I've been lucky. It can be a bit hot, almost cinnamony.

I can't say I have had a sub-par Eagle Rare. Has always been good to me. I also get cinnamony and spicy.
Kyle M.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »

I can't say I have had a sub-par Eagle Rare. Has always been good to me. I also get cinnamony and spicy.

I liked it fine just didn't think it was much better than Maker's. Haven't had single barrel.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »

I liked it fine just didn't think it was much better than Maker's. Haven't had single barrel.
Interesting, I didn't know about and have not seen a blended offering from Eagle Rare. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:27 pm »
Well, whatdaya know, it says single bbl on label and I missed it.

I'll try it again tonight. Perhaps I judged it took quick. Reminded me a lot of Maker's though.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2014, 03:01:28 pm »
Eagle Rare has not reminded me of Maker's, it has more character IMO. Of course I've not tried a plethora of bottles of it either.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2014, 03:07:38 pm »
Dammit.  Do I have to go buy a bottle of Eagle Rare now?

I have not had it in years, but I recall it being good.  My recollection is not clear enough to come up with cinnamon or spice flavors.  At the time, though, I remember I preferred the bottle of Black Maple Hill.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2014, 03:51:10 pm »
Dammit.  Do I have to go buy a bottle of Eagle Rare now?

I have not had it in years, but I recall it being good.  My recollection is not clear enough to come up with cinnamon or spice flavors.  At the time, though, I remember I preferred the bottle of Black Maple Hill.

Sorry ::)
It's not my favorite but I find it pretty reliable. There's a McMennamin's not far from here and they have a tiny little house with a woodstove & various whiskies where folks can smoke cigars called the little white shed.  Usually once a year the folks from Eagle Rare bring a few select barrels to the little white shed and do a tasting. Those present vote and the favorite barrel is bottled and sold at a local shop as "Shed Head Select 201x". 
I just realized I'm going to get a haircut not as far as I can spit from that liquour store tonight after work.  Guess who else is having some Eagle Rare tonight?!?  8)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2014, 05:50:28 pm »
Not me. Nightcap will be Dickel #8. Wish it was their rye but the store was out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis