Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183156 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2013, 08:41:50 am »
The trick is to add a teaspoon of herbsaint or absinthe to a glass with ice, swirl it around a bit and then dump it.  Add the Rye to the empty, cool glass with a couple shots of bitters, twist in a lemon peel and Bob's your uncle.
I used up my Bulleit Rye yesterday.  What should I get next?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2013, 10:38:24 am »
Cocktail hour can come at any time in the euge household. Using the Bulleit rye I whipped up a quick Sazerac and am sipping it now while waiting for my congee to finish.

All flavors and smells that I love. Faint herbal notes from the bitters and the absinthe. Spicy anise from the rye and the Mythe Absinthe Traditional. Had heard about this cocktail for years but never thought to try making one. Now both my favorites can be combined! Thanks Jeffy!

I would suggest any of the bourbons tried so far to make one of these cocktails. I'm interested in using the JTS Brown but definitely the Henry McKenna would do nicely in a non-rye sazerac.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2013, 02:36:32 pm »
Don't know how I missed this post...perhaps I need to pay more attention. I'm a huge bourbon fan! I also like the more full bodied and flavored bourbons. Pappy, Bookers, Knob Creek...to name a few. Here's a small collection of my favorites.

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2013, 03:14:04 pm »
Why that is almost... shrine-like.

Better get to work on that back row. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2013, 03:49:45 pm »

Yea...well the Pappy Van Winkle is going to sit while I break into the back row. The Woodford Reserve Double Oak is a new favorite.

My next purchase is a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I'd love to take a road trip down to Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky someday, purportedly the oldest continuously-operating distillery in the United States.
Ron Price

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2013, 05:13:25 pm »

Yea...well the Pappy Van Winkle is going to sit while I break into the back row. The Woodford Reserve Double Oak is a new favorite.

My next purchase is a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I'd love to take a road trip down to Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky someday, purportedly the oldest continuously-operating distillery in the United States.

Friends who have gone there say that the Buffalo Trace Distillery is just absolutely amazing. I think I am going to stop by next year on my way to the Great Smokey Mountains. Although, I may need to stay the night.

Also, I really need to get some Pappy Van Winkle. Many a good night has been spent with a bottle of that. If you like the Double Oak Woodford, then I think the Double Barrel Preston's will blow you away. The nose is just is a thing to behold.
Kyle M.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »
Don't know how I missed this post...perhaps I need to pay more attention. I'm a huge bourbon fan! I also like the more full bodied and flavored bourbons. Pappy, Bookers, Knob Creek...to name a few. Here's a small collection of my favorites.

Wow Ron, that picture makes me happy.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:03 pm »
Really envying that bottle of Pappy there. I tried some one time - I don't know if it's worth the bottle price but it is the best bourbon I've tried (and I've tried many).
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:50 pm »
Really envying that bottle of Pappy there. I tried some one time - I don't know if it's worth the bottle price but it is the best bourbon I've tried (and I've tried many).

+11
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2013, 07:49:50 pm »

All the time I was needing back up and I was wondering where you were. ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2013, 08:23:02 pm »
Damn, you've all been busy.

Bourbon favorites are Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare, Noah's Mill, and Preston's Double Barrel.

Haven't had Preston's but I'll check it out because your other recommendations are outstanding.  I've got two bottles of Noah's in the cabinet.  One I bought, and one I got for Christmas.

People keep recommending Blanton's, but I just can't get behind that.  Too expensive for what you get.  Yeah, it's smooth.  But it's boring.  I'll drink it if you're pouring, but I won't spend the coin.  I'd rather have Four Roses Single Barrel.

Buffalo Trace?  Meh.  It's OK.  I'd put it on par with Makers.  Solid, not outstanding.  Nothing special to recommend it.

I got everything to make a sazerac! Well it's angastora bitters not peychauds... will have to try one come cocktail hour this afternoon!

Get some Sazerac rye if you can find it.  Outstanding stuff.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2013, 08:25:58 pm »
Ginger and bourbon sounds interesting. I love gingerale.

That mix is about as good as it gets.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:46 pm »
Received 750's of Glenfiddich 12 and Macallan 12 for xmas, it was a very merry day :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2013, 08:36:43 am »
We got to visit Sons of Liberty distillery in South Kingston, RI just before Christmas. Their specialty is whiskey distilled using different beer styles as the wash. Their flagship Uprising is distilled stout. Battle Cry is made with trappist yeast and 20% rye. Great idea and the final products were tasty. They also make a dry hopped whiskey during the summer. Bonus points too for giving us a tour and tasting on a day they were not open to the public, since we were from out of town.

http://www.solspirits.com
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:33 am »
Hopped beer whiskeys have a distinct flavor to them.  If you didn't know that the flavor is from hops you probably wouldn't be able to figure out what the flavor comes from.  It is not much like the flavors hops impart to beer.  Some find it to be pleasant.  Many do not. It is an odd flavor that I do not like.  I've been told it is an aquired taste.  I've tried, but I cannot aquire a taste for hopped beer whiskey.  Full disclosure: I LOVE the taste of hops in beer.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907