Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183133 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2013, 04:22:51 pm »
FWIW Four Roses Single Barrel is great. It was great neat and on the rocks.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »
+11 my favorite!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2013, 06:20:19 pm »
Bookers is very special to me. I know it is very harsh and has a sharp alcoholic taste when consumed neat, but try it with a splash of water. It really opens up then and becomes very enjoyable, though it is not a sooth bourbon even with the splash. But layers of flavors: tobacco, leather, vanilla and wood.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »
I just put a small splash in some makers. Not bad but I may try a cube next time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2013, 05:37:34 am »
+11 my favorite!

Agreed.  Worth every penny, IMO.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2013, 05:38:26 am »
I know it is very harsh and has a sharp alcoholic taste when consumed neat, but try it with a splash of water. It really opens up then and becomes very enjoyable, though it is not a sooth bourbon even with the splash.

Sounds like VOB...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:45 am »
I've tried Booker's every which way but loose and it's dead to me. Too much money for very little enjoyment. Pass.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2013, 07:36:44 am »
Digression & Whisky Geek Alert.....

Ok, so I was reading an article in the recent Winter 2013 issue of Whiskey Advocate. It was a profile on London bartender, Tristan Stephenson. Within the article was the following gem of a paragraph....

"I made an Instant Rob Roy where I roto-vapped Highland Park (splitting it into distillate and extractives; ie, wood)" he explains. "I then cut the extract with water and made it into ice cubes.. The clear distillate was made into a Rob Roy, into which I popped in the ice cube, so that when you drank it, the drink 'aged.' It's a way to discover the effect of oak, and it's fun" Fun and whisky? It might just catch on.

Now, I have no idea if the reality matches what he says he's achieved; but, to me, he gets huge points for concept. Brilliant.

I didn't know what a rotovap is, so I googled it & found this article by Tristan which pretty well lays it out -

http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2012-01-24/page-4/rotovaps-for-dummies

Oh, by the way, I googled 'used rotovap' and it looks like they range from just under a grand to $3500+. So, not something I'm going to play with at home.

I have my doubts about the cocktail anyway, but I'd love to drink one to see if it really works. Firstly, does the rotovap really break down the whisky into aged components and what would essentially be new make whisky? Maybe, could be, but I have my doubts. If it did, would the experience really provide a sense of the drink 'aging' as the ice melts. Again, I don't know but I'd love to find out. Even if not, huge kudos to Tristan for the idea alone!

Oh, and since I don't want to totally hijack this thread .... Highland Park rocks - but decidedly not an entry level whisky on the basis of price. However, it's very approachable for a newbie, but also has the complexity & depth to keep you coming back. Older is better, though more expensive, but even the base 12 year expression is fantastic - about $50-55 I believe.

Single malts keep going up in price steadily, dammit. I wish I liked bourbons as good bourbons are significantly cheaper than single malts, but they're generally too sweet for my taste (though there are exceptions). I limit my bourbon drinking mostly to friend's bottles for that reason, but I'd agree that Four Roses Single Barrel is a very good whiskey.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2013, 10:55:14 am »
Seems like it could be a small column still. The main runnings would be the spirit (just ethanol mostly) and the heads/tails would contain the flavor compounds.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »
Rotovap?  Distilling is distilling, whether you draw a vacuum on the column or not.  The TTB will not care at what temperatures the ethanol was vaporized and recondensed at.

Heads play little role in whiskey flavors (but a huge role in hangovers).  That's where the perceived "heat" comes from.  Tails play a bit more of a role in flavors (and hangovers).  Wood is where the major flavor components (and color) come from.

Learning to recognize heads and tails in whiskey has ruined my taste for most commercial whiskeys. 
Age is not the only factor affecting the price of whiskey.  Quality whiskey can be young and quite delicious if it is made from deep heart cuts.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:18:20 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »
Rotovap?  Distilling is distilling, whether you draw a vacuum on the column or not.  The TTB will not care at what temperatures the ethanol was vaporized and recondensed at.

Heads play little role in whiskey flavors (but a huge role in hangovers).  That's where the perceived "heat" comes from.  Tails play a bit more of a role in flavors (and hangovers).  Wood is where the major flavor components (and color) come from.

Learning to recognize heads and tails in whiskey has ruined my taste for most commercial whiskeys. 
Age is not the only factor affecting the price of whiskey.  Quality whiskey can be young and quite delicious if it is made from deep heart cuts.

Yep.  I've had rye whiskey so smooth and sweet, it's almost like drinking nothing, except for it'll kick yer a$$.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2013, 04:02:17 pm »
Went to the store to get some diapers and returned instead with a bottle of Henry McKenna sour mash straight Bourbon. I'm on a budget right now so at a couple bucks more this is light-years above the JTS Brown. Smooth and lacking of the ashtray quality of the aforementioned JTS.

BTW, they all say "Kentucky's finest"... Someone's lying by god.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2013, 04:37:57 pm »
I started reading all 7 pages and then I got bored.
I did see some reference to Canadian Club. My go to rye is CC Classic. 12 yr old, oak aged and yummy.
Scotch of choice is lagavulin. Bourbon never wound my watch. Crown is over-rated. But now that I'm old, all hard liquor drank straight just gives me heart burn so I stick to beer. And ice is a sin.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2013, 08:24:57 pm »
I started reading all 7 pages and then I got bored.
I did see some reference to Canadian Club. My go to rye is CC Classic. 12 yr old, oak aged and yummy.
Scotch of choice is lagavulin. Bourbon never wound my watch. Crown is over-rated. But now that I'm old, all hard liquor drank straight just gives me heart burn so I stick to beer. And ice is a sin.

I wouldn't expect a Canadian to understand the complexities of bourbon. ;)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2013, 02:02:58 am »
I normally only drink single malt and prefer highland/speyside. Anything with smoke/peat turns me off instantly and activates my gag reflex. If I wanted that taste in my mouth I would lick a dirty ashtray. But I digress…

Some of my favorites include:

The Balvenie 12 Double Wood
Glenmorangie Original
Glenmorangie Lasanta (Sherry finish)
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben (Port finish)
Macallan 12
Glenlivet 12 and 18
Glenfiddich 12 and 18
Singleton of Glendullan 12
McClelland's Highland

I found this handy dandy flavor map useful when I was looking for new ones to try:

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."