Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183155 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2013, 06:43:29 am »
Wife got me some Booker's for Christmas. Man, this is the best bottle I ever had.  Rich leather, pecan pie and deep oak in the nose and smoother than previous years with layers of leather, wood, and a hint of butter scotch on the tongue. Paired it with a cigar from Garcia Y Garcia which was a darker cigar but on the mild side (I believe it is known as "The Sister" but I couldn't find anything about it on line. Guy at cigar shop recommended it based on my tastes to my wife.) Wonderful pairing.

Mike Dixon, you're crazy. ;) Seriously, tasting Booker's yesterday got me to thinking that a couple years ago I had a bottle I didn't care for as much and was wondering if you had sampled any other batches? Every year I get a bottle of Booker's and every year it is a little different. This batch is simply phenomenal. 'ol majorvices is gonna have a hard time staying out of the whiskey and cigars for next few days.  ::)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2013, 06:55:44 am »
That's what I like hearing! I will try some Booker's (without the cigar).

The bottle of Henry McKenna lasted two days. "Kentucky's finest table-whiskey"... What is beginning to surprise me is my capacity for Bourbon. Used to hate whiskey but favorite absinthe, campari, gin and vodka tastes like dust to me now. ???

So which is better- Ancient Age preferred blend or their slightly more expensive straight bourbon?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2013, 09:51:57 am »
I've mentioned that while I love Irish, Canadian, American and Bourbon whiskey. I just don't care much for Scotch. 
So, for Christmas my step-son gave me a book entitled "Whiskeypedia" (Scotch-centric), a set of whiskey stones and a really nice little whiskey tulip glass that looks like a tiny IPA glass. Very nice, thoughful present I thought. 
So now, I feel obligated to re-open my mind and pallette to the smoke and peat. I'd like some advice on a place to start, specifically regarding Scotch. Somewhere in the middle, I don't want to break the bank but I'm not interested in learning what bad Scotch tastes like. 

Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2013, 10:21:58 am »
Personally, I skip the blended scotches though there are some solid ones - much like I like straight bourbons way better than blended Canadian types. For an entry level single malt Glenlivet 12 would be the starting point, both in price (~$ 27-29ish) and character. It's malty sweet but not overly, without a good bit of the smokey peat you don't care for.
  If you can (or want to) spend ~ $40 or $42, Balvenie DoubleWood is a steal. It's aged in ex-bourbon and sherry casks (hence the name DoubleWood), is complex, and also lacks the heavy peat/smoke character of some. It's the first bottle of single malt I bought and I still love it.

<EDIT>
I'd also add Glenmorangie as a great Scotch which is on a price range with Balvenie. I love many of the pricier, smokier scotches as well, but since you requested something fairly affordable and not too peaty I recommended these to fit the bill.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:05:30 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2013, 10:41:24 am »
I've mentioned that while I love Irish, Canadian, American and Bourbon whiskey. I just don't care much for Scotch. 
So, for Christmas my step-son gave me a book entitled "Whiskeypedia" (Scotch-centric), a set of whiskey stones and a really nice little whiskey tulip glass that looks like a tiny IPA glass. Very nice, thoughful present I thought. 
So now, I feel obligated to re-open my mind and pallette to the smoke and peat. I'd like some advice on a place to start, specifically regarding Scotch. Somewhere in the middle, I don't want to break the bank but I'm not interested in learning what bad Scotch tastes like.

For my tastes, I love Bruichladdich 10 the most. A little peaty, but mostly minerally with a lovely seaweed aroma. A friend in Scotland always tells me to get The Famous Grouse, but I have yet to get it. Otherwise, Talisker 10, and Highland Park 12 are my favorites.

To add to the rest of the thread. My favorites Irish Whiskey is John L. Sullivan. I'm also a fan of Redbreast, and Jameson Black. Bushmills Black is also great.

Bourbon favorites are Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare, Noah's Mill, and Preston's Double Barrel. My favorite Rye is Hi-Fi Rye Redemption (got it for $20). Any Four Roses will do as well, but the single barrels are great. The Evan Williams Single Barrels are also great, especially the 2001 version.

Cheers!
Kyle
Kyle M.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2013, 12:11:55 pm »
Personally, I skip the blended scotches though there are some solid ones - much like I like straight bourbons way better than blended Canadian types. For an entry level single malt Glenlivet 12 would be the starting point, both in price (~$ 27-29ish) and character. It's malty sweet but not overly, without a good bit of the smokey peat you don't care for.
  If you can (or want to) spend ~ $40 or $42, Balvenie DoubleWood is a steal. It's aged in ex-bourbon and sherry casks (hence the name DoubleWood), is complex, and also lacks the heavy peat/smoke character of some. It's the first bottle of single malt I bought and I still love it.

<EDIT>
I'd also add Glenmorangie as a great Scotch which is on a price range with Balvenie. I love many of the pricier, smokier scotches as well, but since you requested something fairly affordable and not too peaty I recommended these to fit the bill.
Now that Balvenie DoubleWood sounds like something I  might like.  Perhaps a bridge from bourbon to scotch? I'll give it a shot, thanks Hoosier.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2013, 12:15:21 pm »

For my tastes, I love Bruichladdich 10 the most. A little peaty, but mostly minerally with a lovely seaweed aroma. A friend in Scotland always tells me to get The Famous Grouse, but I have yet to get it. Otherwise, Talisker 10, and Highland Park 12 are my favorites.

To add to the rest of the thread. My favorites Irish Whiskey is John L. Sullivan. I'm also a fan of Redbreast, and Jameson Black. Bushmills Black is also great.

Bourbon favorites are Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare, Noah's Mill, and Preston's Double Barrel. My favorite Rye is Hi-Fi Rye Redemption (got it for $20). Any Four Roses will do as well, but the single barrels are great. The Evan Williams Single Barrels are also great, especially the 2001 version.

Cheers!
Kyle

Hmmm, the Bruichladdich 10 sounds interesting as well.  Ok, that gives me a couple to seek out and sample.  This looks to be a good weekend.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »
Mike Dixon, you're crazy. ;) Seriously, tasting Booker's yesterday got me to thinking that a couple years ago I had a bottle I didn't care for as much and was wondering if you had sampled any other batches? Every year I get a bottle of Booker's and every year it is a little different. This batch is simply phenomenal. 'ol majorvices is gonna have a hard time staying out of the whiskey and cigars for next few days.  ::)

It is single barrel so each bottle (from a different barrel) could certainly be different. The one I had was a hot alcoholic mess. Of course I drank it, but I'll never spend another penny on it.

What I will spend coin on is Four Roses Single Barrel. At $35 it blows Booker's at $50-55 out of the water. It even gives Blanton's a run for it's money of course I know where I can get Blanton's for $22 a pint so off to the races (if you collect the little men on top).

Just picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel to take around the block. I also recently got some Bulleit Rye and as it turns out I like it quite a bit or else the bottle has been evaporating. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2013, 12:51:04 pm »

It is single barrel so each bottle (from a different barrel) could certainly be different. The one I had was a hot alcoholic mess. Of course I drank it, but I'll never spend another penny on it.

What I will spend coin on is Four Roses Single Barrel. At $35 it blows Booker's at $50-55 out of the water. It even gives Blanton's a run for it's money of course I know where I can get Blanton's for $22 a pint so off to the races (if you collect the little men on top).

Just picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel to take around the block. I also recently got some Bulleit Rye and as it turns out I like it quite a bit or else the bottle has been evaporating. ;)

Careful writing off an entire brand from an off single-barrel.  As you say, they're all different. Kinda like most of our creations.  Booker's tends to be hot in general, I find one rock does the trick and opens it up really nicely.  Four Roses single barrel is my go-to favorite and Blanton's is right there.  Pappy's is the white whale de jour and is definitely unique but over valued IMHO.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2013, 01:52:15 pm »
... Booker's tends to be hot in general, I find one rock does the trick and opens it up really nicely....

Booker Noe himself evidently never liked it 'straight up'...he strongly advocated cutting it with some water or at the the very least, serving it on ice.
Either way, it is a very nice whiskey.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2013, 02:26:00 pm »
... Booker's tends to be hot in general, I find one rock does the trick and opens it up really nicely....

Booker Noe himself evidently never liked it 'straight up'...he strongly advocated cutting it with some water or at the the very least, serving it on ice.
Either way, it is a very nice whiskey.

Good to know because that's exactly what I've been saying for years. Also: Four Roses single barrel is $56 on store shelves here - only $4 cheaper than Bookers.

In other news, stopped by state store today and Maker's went up to $30 a bottle over night and that's not a $30 bottle of whiskey so looks like I will stop advocating for that brand. I know they are having supply problems because they had talked about lowering the ABV on it a few months back but at $30 per bottle I will definitely be choosing other bourbons that are worthy of paying that kind of money for and will overlook Maker's.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2013, 05:56:50 pm »
Evan Williams Single Barrel is crap, skip it. Now I get to mix another fifth of less than stellar bourbon.

Four Roses Single Barrel is $40 most of the time here and $35 on sale. I probably could get it for less in SC. Alabama must have some stupid high taxes on liquor. NC is state run, SC is always less expensive than us, even on sale.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »
Picked up some Four Roses straight bourbon $18 and Bulleit bourbon (the non-rye) for $20. I'm assuming these are decent prices. Waiting for my call shift to end...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2013, 07:55:41 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation on Eagle Rare. I was never a Bourbon fan until now. Anything else similar and maybe cheaper?

Doing a Hot Scotchy tomorrow morning with some first runnings of a Wee Heavy and Dewar's.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2013, 09:55:43 pm »
Picked up some Four Roses straight bourbon $18 and Bulleit bourbon (the non-rye) for $20. I'm assuming these are decent prices. Waiting for my call shift to end...

Not sure about Texas, but any bottle of Four Roses in Oregon less than $20 is very much a decent deal.  Lucky.
Enjoy.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified