Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 425176 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2190 on: February 05, 2018, 06:20:03 pm »
^^^^
Blatz, do you have a recommendation for a pale malt to try blending?  I'm straight Weyermann Pils at the moment, have yet to find just the right sumpin'-sumpin' to complement it.

I agree that weyermann pale is the best I've tried so far to mix.  But it's actually hard for me to get that malt.  My recent Helles was 70:30 weyermann Pils to Warminster maris Otter which I like very much.

Gotta try the Vienna or kolsch malt mixes for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Big Monk

« Reply #2191 on: February 05, 2018, 06:23:05 pm »
^^^^
Blatz, do you have a recommendation for a pale malt to try blending?  I'm straight Weyermann Pils at the moment, have yet to find just the right sumpin'-sumpin' to complement it.

I agree that weyermann pale is the best I've tried so far to mix.  But it's actually hard for me to get that malt.  My recent Helles was 70:30 weyermann Pils to Warminster maris Otter which I like very much.

I make 5 beers: A Single, Dubbel, Tripel, Dark Strong, and Imperial Stout. I use Pilsner with about 15% Vienna in the first four, and Pilsner and Munich I in the Imperial Stout.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2192 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:30 pm »
^^^^

I make 5 beers: A Single, Dubbel, Tripel, Dark Strong, and Imperial Stout. I use Pilsner with about 15% Vienna in the first four, and Pilsner and Munich I in the Imperial Stout.

Thanks - I will give that 85/15 a go next Helles or Pils.  Cheers!

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Big Monk

« Reply #2193 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:42 pm »
^^^^

Thanks - I will give that 85/15 a go next Helles or Pils.  Cheers!

Awesome. One of the reasons Bryan started blending a while back was the Weyermann Pilsner lots were coming in at around 1.6-1.7 °L. Blending in Weyermann Pale Ale helped to bring it back up to around 2 °L. The Barke Pilsner lots have all been around 2.1 °L recently so blending is less of a concern.

I started using Vienna in my base blend because my local shop was getting the Premium Extra Pale Weyermann Pils for a while, and that stuff is like 1.3 °L, so I needed to bump the color up (and couldn’t get Weyermann Pale at the time). I like the flavor and kept it even after regular Weyermann Pilsner started coming in.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2194 on: February 05, 2018, 07:42:52 pm »
Just ordered some Weyermann Vienna to try in my next Pils.  I've never tried it because it's not locally available,  but anything Weyermann is a no-brainer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2195 on: February 06, 2018, 05:27:41 pm »
Wife told me I needed to brew two batches by Sunday night. I'm thinking a smoked Porter and a hazy IPA. The last one turned out pretty well, I'm trying out the citra, Mosaic, and azacca combo from the last Zymurgy. For my smoked Porter I'm trying the beechwood smoked malt instead of cherry wood. I think I got a bit to much variation in smoke from the Cherry wood.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2196 on: February 09, 2018, 03:30:28 pm »
Just mashed in a Stout for St Patty’s Day. I missed my mash target by 4*F low but I’ll be adding lactose so I’m not too concerned with the body. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2197 on: February 09, 2018, 04:55:55 pm »
Session version of Janet’s Brown. Just made the starter.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2198 on: February 09, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »
Just mashed in a Stout for St Patty’s Day. I missed my mash target by 4*F low but I’ll be adding lactose so I’m not too concerned with the body. Cheers!

I may feel like idiot after you answer this, but, what is Làmh Chlè?

Offline Robert

« Reply #2199 on: February 09, 2018, 06:46:52 pm »

I wondered too, so I tried Google Translate.   It says it's Irish for "left day."  I'm still just as confused, but maybe no more than I'd be after six pints of Bama's stout. I think Google's been drinking.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2200 on: February 09, 2018, 06:49:13 pm »

I wondered too, so I tried Google Translate.   It says it's Irish for "left day."  I'm still just as confused, but maybe no more than I'd be after six pints of Bama's stout. I think Google's been drinking.
Dwain, is that like one day left? Are you retiring?

Offline Robert

« Reply #2201 on: February 09, 2018, 06:53:32 pm »

Dwain, is that like one day left? Are you retiring?
No, Google says it's left like the direction.  Hence my further confusion.  Bama got some splainin to do.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2202 on: February 09, 2018, 06:59:13 pm »
Left Hand milk stout, maybe? Gaelic implying brewed with 1084? Maybe?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:01:01 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2203 on: February 09, 2018, 06:59:26 pm »
Today I did an easy 5 gallon batch, part in the kitchen to stay warm, boil in the garage. Several snow shoveling sessions were interspersed with brewing. The Beer was a Pale Ale, Featuring Mandarina Bavaria hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2204 on: February 09, 2018, 07:30:08 pm »
We have a winner. Irish for Left Hand Milk Stout. ...at least that’s what I got when I plugged in ‘Left Hand’. LOL. It’s the recipe from the AHA 50 beers from 50 states cross referenced to the Left Hand website. Beautiful day here today. I was brewing in a short sleeve T Shirt.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:35:55 pm by BrewBama »