Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LODO and Decoction Mashing  (Read 8931 times)

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
Re: LODO and Decoction Mashing
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 01:32:54 pm »
The antioxidants I can't argue with, but I use BtB at the manufacturer's recommended rate of 6g/hL,  which is about 2g for you.  I use it late in the boil, a minute or two before Whirlfloc, at the same rate but calculated according to the post boil volume,  so a smaller addition (for me the additions are around 2g and 1.4g.)

^^^^
This.

Forget you ever heard about 45/45/10. It's a limiting factor for those with the component parts. It is actual a hindrance and many who were using the Antioxin SBT blend were having to increase BtB dose anyway when meta levels got lower and lower.

Step 1: Find Meta dose (0.689g)
Step 2: Duplicate that dose with AA (0.689g)
Step 3: Dose BtB per manufacturer
Thanks!  That's actually exactly what I did!  I'm at my second infusion and I'm afraid I didn't hit my beta test temp... I'm stuck at 130.  Super worried this won't work!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 01:42:34 pm »
This is what I settled on for BtB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Monk

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 02:40:48 pm »
The antioxidants I can't argue with, but I use BtB at the manufacturer's recommended rate of 6g/hL,  which is about 2g for you.  I use it late in the boil, a minute or two before Whirlfloc, at the same rate but calculated according to the post boil volume,  so a smaller addition (for me the additions are around 2g and 1.4g.)

^^^^
This.

Forget you ever heard about 45/45/10. It's a limiting factor for those with the component parts. It is actual a hindrance and many who were using the Antioxin SBT blend were having to increase BtB dose anyway when meta levels got lower and lower.

Step 1: Find Meta dose (0.689g)
Step 2: Duplicate that dose with AA (0.689g)
Step 3: Dose BtB per manufacturer
Thanks!  That's actually exactly what I did!  I'm at my second infusion and I'm afraid I didn't hit my beta test temp... I'm stuck at 130.  Super worried this won't work!

Infusion step mashing is more trouble than its worth. If you can get a stable β temp, just stay there.

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 02:43:46 pm »
Sweet, thanks.  I'm at 147.8 rn.  I'm mostly there....  I tasted the wort and it is some of the best wort I've ever sampled....  So I might be a convert, but it's still too early to tell.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2019, 10:31:32 pm »
This has been the most civil LODO thread I've ever read.
What is the world coming to where people all get along like this? ;)

Offline Robert

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2019, 05:32:14 am »

Well, nobody brought up glitter, so....
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Big Monk

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2019, 06:33:03 am »

I don’t think LO will come up much anymore. At least not from us.

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2019, 07:50:51 am »
I didn't realize it was such a contentious topic.  I'm always looking for ways to improve my brewing and thought I'd give it a try if people have had success with it.  Now that I've tried it on my 3 tier system, I'm realizing I'd have been better off just using a BIAB in my kettle so I could direct heat and recirc.

Thanks to all who participated in this conversation!

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2019, 09:01:44 am »
I didn't realize it was such a contentious topic.  I'm always looking for ways to improve my brewing and thought I'd give it a try if people have had success with it.  Now that I've tried it on my 3 tier system, I'm realizing I'd have been better off just using a BIAB in my kettle so I could direct heat and recirc.

Not so long ago LODO was a dividing line for many on both sides of the argument. So much so that the LODO adherents moved to their own forum. Birds of a feather I guess. Most of those brewers used to frequent this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Monk

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2019, 09:51:07 am »

Not so long ago LODO was a dividing line for many on both sides of the argument. So much so that the LODO adherents moved to their own forum. Birds of a feather I guess. Most of those brewers used to frequent this site.

The sad part is that when the LO site is mothballed this fall, those frequent posters and old AHA diehards who left still won’t come back.

Guys like Hoosierbrew and the like.

At the end of the day it’s not about LOB. It’s about people not liking being told how to brew lager by an experienced lager brewer.

Offline Robert

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2019, 09:51:19 am »

I've noticed more of them around again lately.   There's a wide world of homebrewers,  and this place ought to include them all, if we want to see it as the go to clearinghouse of information.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 09:56:07 am »

The sad part is that when the LO site is mothballed this fall, those frequent posters and old AHA diehards who left still won’t come back.

At the end of the day it’s not about LOB. It’s about people not liking being told how to brew lager by an experienced lager brewer.
Mothballed?!  Will the posts be archived somewhere?  Or is it just the forum?  So much valuable information that can't be found elsewhere.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2019, 10:11:38 am »
It’s about people not liking being told how to brew lager by an experienced lager brewer.

And that mischaracterization is why there were issues.  Let's get back to talking about brewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2019, 10:19:32 am »
It’s about people not liking being told how to brew lager by an experienced lager brewer.

And that mischaracterization is why there were issues.  Let's get back to talking about brewing.
^ I second this! 

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Big Monk

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2019, 10:20:16 am »

Mothballed?!  Will the posts be archived somewhere?  Or is it just the forum?  So much valuable information that can't be found elsewhere.

Not sure.