Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna lager  (Read 15233 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Vienna lager
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2021, 04:03:35 pm »
Is anyone else old enough to remember when American lager brewers produced a bock beer in the winter?  I believe that it was mostly a colored, slightly stronger version of the standard product, but I was just a kid at the time.

Yeah, I to was in the Spring when they cleaned the tanks. I remember my dad saying that.

That is an old myth that will never completely disappear.

Yep.  Supposedly the reason it was strong and dark was because the beer had been laying in the bottom of the tanks for a year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2021, 04:10:17 pm »
I just remember my dad and my grandfather having a bottle of National Bock Beer when we would go to visit my grandparents.  It was definitely a seasonal beer.  I believe that American bock died with the regional brewers.  Consolidation definitely killed off variety one local or regional brewery at a time.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:37:57 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2021, 05:15:30 pm »
Is anyone else old enough to remember when American lager brewers produced a bock beer in the winter?  I believe that it was mostly a colored, slightly stronger version of the standard product, but I was just a kid at the time.

Yeah, I to was in the Spring when they cleaned the tanks. I remember my dad saying that.

Yep.  Supposedly the reason it was strong and dark was because the beer had been laying in the bottom of the tanks for a year.

extra fermented for extra strong beer.

I just remember my dad and my grandfather having a bottle of National Bock Beer when we could go to visit my grandparents.  It was definitely a seasonal beer.  I believe that American bock died with the regional brewers.  Consolidation definitely killed off variety one local or regional brewery at a time.

ooh boy. that got my mind thinking. but no. no. i will forget what you have just said.

IBU range...
OG/FG...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2021, 08:08:30 pm »

extra fermented for extra strong beer.

I just remember my dad and my grandfather having a bottle of National Bock Beer when we could go to visit my grandparents.  It was definitely a seasonal beer.  I believe that American bock died with the regional brewers.  Consolidation definitely killed off variety one local or regional brewery at a time.

ooh boy. that got my mind thinking. but no. no. i will forget what you have just said.

IBU range...
OG/FG...

1.055, 22 IBU of something nobleish, 78% Pale Malt, 15% Corn, 7% CaraMunich, maybe some Carafa for color, 34/70

Yep, my mind is going there too...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:56:04 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2021, 09:50:09 am »
My dad would drink the American bocks and I remember my mom saying "You know they make that from the stuff at the bottom of the barrel".  I would be 6 years old or whatever but then I remember being in my 20s and drinking bock with my dad and my mom repeated that same silly line.  I said, "What barrel?  What are you talking about?" and she just shrugged.  Where do these things come from? 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2021, 10:02:32 am »
My neck of the woods

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2021, 08:25:36 pm »
ok so here is my vienna finally.

90% weyermann vienna, 10% weyermann munich 2 (checked my notes.)

used s-189, all EKG hops to ~30IBU. 1.051-1.011. extremely happy with the clarity of this. definitely malty, but not excessively so. kind of a lightish honey-cake/honey cookies aroma. body is on the thin side, but not excessively so. i wanted a highly drinkable beer.

just feels really balanced and straightforward. i was really looking forward to something i can pass around to the non-craft brew drinkers in my neighbourhood if needs be. this should fit the bill completely.

sorry for lack of head present, but its been bottled for only 7 days at lager temps. its still not fully carbed and settled.

anyway this is what a mostly vienna lager's colour looks like. would have been paler i suppose without the munich2.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:27:33 pm by fredthecat »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2021, 09:27:05 pm »
How long was that beer lagered before being bottled?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2021, 06:51:44 am »
And what SRM is that...9, 10, more?

Tomorrow is brew day here, with Ireks Vienna and a touch of Weyermann’s Red.

My craft-brew friends are raving about this beer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:54:58 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2021, 08:25:14 am »
The Point Brewery (aka the Stevens Point Brewery) in Stevens Point, WI also made a bock beer.  My cousin who lived there would bring me some every time he came to Ohio.  Don't think they make it anymore.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2021, 09:59:53 am »
The Point Brewery (aka the Stevens Point Brewery) in Stevens Point, WI also made a bock beer.  My cousin who lived there would bring me some every time he came to Ohio.  Don't think they make it anymore.
I remember that.  The standard POINT beer was in a blue can and the bock was in a green and gray can (something like that).  Yeah, it's interesting that no other macro brewery makes a bock.  It occurs to me that Shiner Bock is pretty popular for better or worse.  A regional or national brewery that made a similar beer could do well with it, I think.  When I have my "American Bock" on tap here, it does not last long.  My brother in law pretty much drained my last one himself.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:14 am »
I remember that.  The standard POINT beer was in a blue can and the bock was in a green and gray can (something like that).  Yeah, it's interesting that no other macro brewery makes a bock.  It occurs to me that Shiner Bock is pretty popular for better or worse.  A regional or national brewery that made a similar beer could do well with it, I think.  When I have my "American Bock" on tap here, it does not last long.  My brother in law pretty much drained my last one himself. 
Is Michelob Amber Bock still around? Not that it's a great beer, but that's a macro bock for ya.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2021, 11:19:18 am »
How long was that beer lagered before being bottled?

total fermentation time was 7 weeks. i used gelatin 3 or 4 days before putting it in secondary and i really chilled it as much as possible for that last 3 weeks. i wish i had one in my hand right now to taste-test again, but from my memory i find this "cleaner" than W34/70, though ive improved my practices since when i used that. it is simply commercial-quality clean with an accent towards a malty-roundedness as a particular flavour. i taste-tested the other S189 brew last night as well and it has that particular flavour as well despite just being plain DME.

And what SRM is that...9, 10, more?

Tomorrow is brew day here, with Ireks Vienna and a touch of Weyermann’s Red.

My craft-brew friends are raving about this beer.

my brewing software says SRM 6.8, i'd say that's about right. i feel like the colour has lost its bright orange and turned more plain copper, but could be due to slight haze vs clarity.

additional note: before lagering and bottling i was concerned that the vienna flavour was too big for what i had hoped for, but it has mellowed a lot, to where now i can taste how commercial breweries could release a 100% vienna malt beer for general consumption without "too much" flavour being an issue.

if i did this again i'd do 99% vienna 1% carafa 3 special or black malt to get the colour up to 10+. IBUs the same

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2021, 11:38:37 am »
I remember that.  The standard POINT beer was in a blue can and the bock was in a green and gray can (something like that).  Yeah, it's interesting that no other macro brewery makes a bock.  It occurs to me that Shiner Bock is pretty popular for better or worse.  A regional or national brewery that made a similar beer could do well with it, I think.  When I have my "American Bock" on tap here, it does not last long.  My brother in law pretty much drained my last one himself. 
Is Michelob Amber Bock still around? Not that it's a great beer, but that's a macro bock for ya.

Yes. In 6 packs and kegs. It is not a bad beer.