Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Hot Side Aereation discussion  (Read 11849 times)

Offline Red over White

• Cellarman
Re: Great Hot Side Aereation discussion
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2023, 01:55:50 pm »
Lodo is slowly gaining homebrewers and I think most try to stay quiet about it because of the personalities on both side of the topic tend to be quite aggressive. It's better to not be a target, especially for a new brewer.

It's actually really inexpensive to do and doesn't add any extra time to my brew day. Having said that, I'm not sure everyone can taste the difference. I have friends that are almost completely blind to diacetyl and I had to have the bartender get me a different beer after one sip. My friend thought I was making it up and really enjoyed that octoberfest, I couldn't drink it at all. It might be the same with lodo?

More and more people are definitely talking about it, Colin Kaminski for instance has started adopting it. However, many big names in homebrewing that claimed it didn't do anything, will unfortunately probably die on that hill, even as more information about why professionals are doing it makes its way into the homebrew world.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2023, 03:50:11 pm »
 :D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2023, 04:06:18 pm »
Lodo is slowly gaining homebrewers and I think most try to stay quiet about it because of the personalities on both side of the topic tend to be quite aggressive. It's better to not be a target, especially for a new brewer.

It's actually really inexpensive to do and doesn't add any extra time to my brew day. Having said that, I'm not sure everyone can taste the difference. I have friends that are almost completely blind to diacetyl and I had to have the bartender get me a different beer after one sip. My friend thought I was making it up and really enjoyed that octoberfest, I couldn't drink it at all. It might be the same with lodo?

More and more people are definitely talking about it, Colin Kaminski for instance has started adopting it. However, many big names in homebrewing that claimed it didn't do anything, will unfortunately probably die on that hill, even as more information about why professionals are doing it makes its way into the homebrew world.

this is one of those "debates" many people cringe at even seeing continued, i know. but i have a lot of issues with lodo. one that comes to mind from the flavour side is simply:

(keeping in mind i admit that technology and progress CAN and DO [sometimes] make things better) English beer styles are never mentioned when it comes to LODO, it is always basically pale contemporary styled craft ales and lagers (IPAs, pale ales etc) and lagers.

cask beer as a tradition is supposed to have turnarounds quick enough that LODO isnt a problem, and there is simply a ton of oxygen going in many traditional (by this i do mean 19th century brewing up to present day, not super old stuff) methods of brewing, yorkshire open squares, dropping the fermenting wort, minimal to no carbonation of cask beers, etc etc.

these are features built in to these styles that people love and have loved. frankly i dont care about LODO for the vast majority of styles i brew, it simply doesnt enter the equation beyond the most basic hotside steps.

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2023, 06:07:46 pm »

[...] will unfortunately probably die on that hill [...]
I'm not sure how we got to that statement.  I'm sure I'm taking a break from this topic.

Offline Red over White

• Cellarman
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2023, 10:14:19 pm »

this is one of those "debates" many people cringe at even seeing continued, i know. but i have a lot of issues with lodo. one that comes to mind from the flavour side is simply:

(keeping in mind i admit that technology and progress CAN and DO [sometimes] make things better) English beer styles are never mentioned when it comes to LODO, it is always basically pale contemporary styled craft ales and lagers (IPAs, pale ales etc) and lagers.

cask beer as a tradition is supposed to have turnarounds quick enough that LODO isnt a problem, and there is simply a ton of oxygen going in many traditional (by this i do mean 19th century brewing up to present day, not super old stuff) methods of brewing, yorkshire open squares, dropping the fermenting wort, minimal to no carbonation of cask beers, etc etc.

these are features built in to these styles that people love and have loved. frankly i dont care about LODO for the vast majority of styles i brew, it simply doesnt enter the equation beyond the most basic hotside steps.

I 100% agree with what you said and I don't brew pale ales, porters or stouts lodo. It isn't proper for the end result in the glass. There is a time and place for everything, but not English ales.

Offline Red over White

• Cellarman
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2023, 10:34:08 pm »

I'm not sure how we got to that statement.  I'm sure I'm taking a break from this topic.

I certainly didn't mean to offend you or add fuel to any long burnt out fire. I have been brewing for a very long time and seen many modern homebrew authors utterly dismiss the subject, while professional brewing texts have said the opposite since before their first books were published.

The homebrewing community is a real gem in that most share with truly good intentions. I watched more beers interview with Ken Grossman the other day, who is a lodo ale brewer and am just blown away by his vision and determination to make an absolute top quality product even as all costs around him soar. He has my utmost respect.

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2023, 06:29:19 am »

I certainly didn't mean to offend you or add fuel to any long burnt out fire. I have been brewing for a very long time and seen many modern homebrew authors utterly dismiss the subject, while professional brewing texts have said the opposite since before their first books were published.

The homebrewing community is a real gem in that most share with truly good intentions. I watched more beers interview with Ken Grossman the other day, who is a lodo ale brewer and am just blown away by his vision and determination to make an absolute top quality product even as all costs around him soar. He has my utmost respect.
If I remember correctly, Sierra Nevada reduces oxygen on the hot side for colloidal stability and longer shelf life. The impact on the malt flavor was not the reason. There are compounds that oxidize in the mash that lead to premature staling.

I think the aeration on the hot side does come at a price, but the impact may not be notice by most home brewers. I use a limited version of LODO and I think it has a benefit to the flavor in German and European lagers. I don't use it for any American lagers or English beers.

It could be that the flavor improvement may come from paying closer attention to the mash rather than the LODO process, not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 06:31:42 am by HighVoltageMan! »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2023, 08:34:21 am »

I 100% agree with what you said and I don't brew pale ales, porters or stouts lodo. It isn't proper for the end result in the glass. There is a time and place for everything, but not English ales.

1. Traditional British breweries do not keep O2 out of the hot side using Pale Ale malts. The cold side either for Cask ales that have active yeast and are consumed in a handful of days.

2. The Germans did the research on HSA for the Helles and Pilsners they brew with almost all Pils malt. An enzyme called Lipoxygenase is responsible for a lot of HSA.

3. The MBAA podcast series with Joe Hetrich talking about malting, he states that lipoxygenase is denatured at 185⁰F .  If you use malt with more color there will be less/no lipoxygenase.

4. Not everyone is sensitive to HSA. I've had beers that made me say yuck while my wife simultaneously says this is good. I find most evident in Helles, and beers with more hops like Pilsner it is harder to detect.

5. Larger modern German breweries will have equipment to remove O2 from the brewing water and still be Rheinheitsgebot compliant (Sierra Nevada too). Older small breweries don't, and HSA is often evident. Franconian Helles typically has more hop bitterness than Munich Helles, though often the HSA comes through.

6. A German brewer told me they learn about HSA in brewing school. He said some German breweries have a house flavor due to it. He has an older system and is known for the Dunkel, i.e. Munich malts. His rules were don't splash, fill from the bottom, gentle transfers.

How do I brew? LODO for German styles, and less concern for everything else. That's just me. I like the German lagers I brew.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2023, 11:52:34 am »
I certainly didn't mean to offend you
(No worries, I left before it would get that far). 

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2024, 12:35:18 pm »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2024, 02:30:10 pm »
Why not?

I'll commit the cardinal sin of speaking for others - In the whole monkey knife fight about LoDO here on the AHA forum, folks have perceived sides in that argument.

In this episode, you and I have a chance to be a bit more nuanced and more clearly deliver what I think we've always tried to say when emotion hasn't gotten in the way:

1) LoDO is a technique with valid benefits.
2) As with all techniques, whether those benefits apply to your particular goals is a matter of exploration and choice. (e.g. great if you're making lagers etc - not as much in making IPAs, etc)
3) The rigid, strict and "top secret superiority" of the original message delivery was profoundly off putting to many homebrewers like you and I. With the way that it always seemed to be taught "thou shall do all of these steps or else you're not LoDO and your beer is crap" there was extra resistance to exploring how the concepts can apply to homebrewing and how it differs from the commercial world.

As we said in the show - over time there's been more give and take and looking at what can make differences without much fuss and muss. (see water deaeration and brewtan-B for instance)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 02:47:27 pm by dbeechum »
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2024, 02:44:39 pm »
Why not?

Hey, I'm just happy we seem to be on the same page now, if not maybe at least the same chapter.
Very cool.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 03:56:55 pm by Bilsch »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2024, 03:44:17 pm »
Why not?

Hey, I'm just happy we seem to on the same page now, if not maybe at least the same chapter.
Very cool.

Actually, my stand hasn't changed. As Drew said, it was the messaging and some arcane methods that put me off. The basic facts are undeniable.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2024, 03:46:00 pm »
Why not?

Hey, I'm just happy we seem to on the same page now, if not maybe at least the same chapter.
Very cool.

Actually, my stand hasn't changed. As Drew said, it was the messaging and some arcane methods that put me off. The basic facts are undeniable.

i DLed it and put it on a USB to listen to this week as i drive, but yeah i dont see any inconsistency with it. obviously no one wants oxidation, but its a matter of degrees regarding methods to prevent it