Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146914 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #450 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »
Do they not have hot peppers in Paris?  I know at one point euge sent you some, but surely you can buy some at he market . . . right?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #451 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:32 am »
Do they not have hot peppers in Paris?  I know at one point euge sent you some, but surely you can buy some at he market . . . right?

I can get some humdingers from the DOMTOM guy at the market, but the only thing he has is scotch bonnets. Euge sent me some seeds that did not take, but I've still got some left and will be buying a grow-lamp to get 'em started.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #452 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:32 am »
my best luck starting pepper seeds is to put them in a folded, Damp (not sopping wet) paper
towel, in a sandwich baggie, located in a sunny warm window. Keep it damp keep watching
for several weeks.....when they sprout, handle them GINGERLY and MINIMALLY to get them
into starter dirt...I use tweezers and just roll them around. do not handle them with your hands.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #453 on: January 23, 2012, 10:18:37 am »
Really?  Wow.  The damn things plant themselves here.  Let a pod or two hit the ground and up comes the next generation.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #454 on: January 23, 2012, 10:28:14 am »
I find peppers fairly difficult to sprout and they have a long germination period. It must be done in a very warm environment. Also, the seedlings are extremely wimpy and must be protected in the first weeks of life. Despite all of this I have managed to sprout and grow chile petin which many people say is impossible.

Phil, I hope some of those seeds sprout though it is likely that the ancho might not due to the drying process. I bought them at the store and have no idea how the pods were dried. The rest of them I dehydrated myself.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #455 on: January 23, 2012, 05:18:12 pm »
I sprout pepper seeds with paper towels too, it works well.  My problem now is getting the fruit to grow - I've got a bhut jolokia covered in flowers, but they keep dropping off and new ones grow in their place.  I've tried a q-tip to pollinate, but it's not working.  I think it's just too cold for fruit. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #456 on: January 23, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »
I sprout pepper seeds with paper towels too, it works well.  My problem now is getting the fruit to grow - I've got a bhut jolokia covered in flowers, but they keep dropping off and new ones grow in their place.  I've tried a q-tip to pollinate, but it's not working.  I think it's just too cold for fruit. :-\
Get a water color paint brush...little spindly thing and tickle em with that...watch em grow

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #457 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:28 pm »
I have a few of those laying around, I'll give it a try, thanks.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #458 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:20 pm »
If you have fruition, think of me, I have yet to be haunted by the ghost peppa

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #459 on: January 24, 2012, 12:02:35 am »
If you have fruition, think of me, I have yet to be haunted by the ghost peppa
I really think it's the temp, but I worst case I should get some peppers this summer.  I'm sure I'll post about it when I do.  You'll have to remind me, but I'm happy to share - this thing is growing a LOT of flowers.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #460 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:51 am »
Here are some pics - two plants, one isn't blooming yet but the other one has a lot of flowers constantly renewing.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #461 on: January 24, 2012, 01:57:17 am »
Don't worry about the flowers dropping. That they are there is a good sign! Probably too cool. And needs more light. That plant could be three feet tall, bush-like and covered with peppers. I suggest transplanting into a bigger container and putting a light on it in anticipation for this summer when it'll bear fruit outside.

That shiny stuff looks like vermiculite in the mix :P. Perlite is more neutral.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:12 am »
Perlite for dinner...  Yum!

For just about everything else, it would seem.  It is volcanic, after all.   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2012, 10:39:43 am »
Don't worry about the flowers dropping. That they are there is a good sign! Probably too cool. And needs more light. That plant could be three feet tall, bush-like and covered with peppers. I suggest transplanting into a bigger container and putting a light on it in anticipation for this summer when it'll bear fruit outside.

That shiny stuff looks like vermiculite in the mix :P. Perlite is more neutral.
Three feet tall?  Maybe in Texas!  My pepper plants are never that big, the best one I ever had was a scotch bonnet that was ~2 feet tall.  It was covered with peppers though, I still have some pepper vodka I made with some of them - too spicy!

I have no idea what's in the potting mix, but I'll keep that in mind.

Good call on transplanting, I'll have to do that.  They sit in a window which doesn't mean much around here lately, but they're happy enough.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »
What kind of fertilizer are you using?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee