Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183044 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #360 on: May 03, 2015, 07:00:06 pm »
Been trading off between wathens, Elmer lee, and four roses single barrel lately.

All delicious. But I think I prefer the Elmer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #361 on: May 04, 2015, 05:39:48 am »
I like all three of those, the Elmer bottles I have are just a bit rougher in the flavor than Wathens or the FR Single Barrel, but I may just agree with you. At first I wasn't quite a fan of Elmer T Lee, but it really grew on me.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #362 on: May 04, 2015, 09:10:40 am »
Since they're single barrel bottles, there is variation as I'm sure you know.  So my bottle of Elmer may be a tad different than yours.

My current bottle of Elmer has just been standing out a little bit more than the others.  Not a huge amount, but enough.  I'll try it tonight to check for rough edges.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #363 on: May 04, 2015, 11:26:08 am »
I am near certain both my bottles of Elmer came from the same batch. I did try the black label Elmer Commemorative Edition from 2013 IIRC and I did not care for it as much as my bottle of Elmer at home. It had less character.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2015, 11:14:05 am »
Two disappointments:
Old Ezra - 7 year old - 101 proof - pretty boring
Henry McKenna - 10 year - Bottled in bond - also boring

I'll give them both a better evaluation as I drain the bottles, but neither has much character IMO. I see quite a few rave reviews for the HM, but thus far I've not been excited.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #365 on: May 27, 2015, 12:12:33 am »
I know that Elijah Craig goes very well in Denny's BVIP.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #366 on: May 27, 2015, 07:22:52 am »
Reviews are like the proverbial... Well anyway you gotta look hard and long at anything interesting with a review these days. I'm willing to bet that the bulk of them are canned, regurgitated or outright fictitious.

Then you have to be the final arbiter regardless.

One day I will step up into your high dollar bourbons. Still doing well and appreciating the more pedestrian and reasonably priced whiskies that I can afford. I'm even branching out into Scotch but Bourbon is a better drinker IMO.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2015, 08:04:57 am »
I think in the case of the HM the issue is it being single barrel and it just happens that barrel was boring. I see far too many reviews which are positive for it to be a fluke or fake. For sub $30 I'll pick up another bottle somewhere and test the theory. Keep in mind it isn't bad at all, just pedestrian.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:52:11 pm by MDixon »

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2015, 08:24:23 am »
but Bourbon is a better drinker IMO.

+1 ^^

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2015, 08:56:50 am »

+1 ^^
Agreed, and I love Scotch - the smokier and peatier the better. But it's a sipper, especially the smoky ones. Good bourbon is much more dangerous.

By the way, thanks to everyone who has been keeping this conversation going. I recently tried Eagle Rare for the first time based on what I've picked up on this thread and it was fantastic. The vanilla and sweetness makes it go down way too easily. You wouldn't need much sugar to make a killer julep with it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #370 on: June 02, 2015, 07:31:22 am »

+1 ^^
Agreed, and I love Scotch - the smokier and peatier the better. But it's a sipper, especially the smoky ones. Good bourbon is much more dangerous.

By the way, thanks to everyone who has been keeping this conversation going. I recently tried Eagle Rare for the first time based on what I've picked up on this thread and it was fantastic. The vanilla and sweetness makes it go down way too easily. You wouldn't need much sugar to make a killer julep with it.

Eagle Rare is my standard go to.  I have found that I enjoy most of what comes out of Buffalo Trace.  I bought a bottle of Stagg jr. for the heck of it.  Needs a little ice to cool it down a bit (134 proof barrel strength) but the depth of flavor is astounding.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #371 on: June 09, 2015, 11:06:30 am »
My mother drank Cluny (blended). So that's my house Scotch at the moment; seems more approachable for a Bourbon drinker as it isn't like licking an ashtray every time one takes a sip. Has a nice malt profile that would be appropriate in a beer IMO. Very drinkable.

Picked up a bottle of Rebel Yell Small Batch reserve and can't wait to try it this evening, perhaps earlier...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #372 on: July 13, 2015, 04:48:54 am »
Ok, I was a little fast to judge Old Ezra 101. By itself it ain't worth your time, but in a mixed drink it is divine. If you want something a little higher end to stick in the bar, this may be the one.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #373 on: July 23, 2015, 11:01:21 pm »
I just cracked open a bottle of Low Gap white Rye....OMG so good and smooth....ahhhhh

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2015, 10:29:02 am »
I am finally running out of several bottles all at once. I bought Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and really like it. Nice and spicy without feeling thin. Was looking for Elmer T. Lee, but saw that was sold out. Might have to go with Wathen's next. Haven't had that in a while. The Four Roses single barrels are pretty hard to beat for me lately.
Kyle M.