Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183096 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #645 on: April 29, 2016, 08:14:12 am »
When you can find it, Sazerac Rye is fantastic and affordable. In NC it runs $30 which typically means you can find it for less everywhere else.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #646 on: April 29, 2016, 08:48:42 am »
Came across the Corsair Ryemageddon on sale at a good price last weekend and gave it a whirl. A really interesting rye whiskey. It's whiskey distilled from rye and chocolate rye and aged for six years (it's the aged version of their normal rye). Nice depth of earthy flavor. Probably the second most earthy rye I've had behind High West Rendezvous Rye.

FYI - Corsair sells 10 and 15 gallon barrels on their website at extremely reasonable prices if one is looking for a larger barrel.

A few weeks back I also picked up a bottle of Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch for a little under $30. It's 91% Canadian rye whisky, 8% rye-heavy bourbon and 1% sherry. It's smooth, spicy and fruity. Sweeter and heavier than the Corsair. It's not garbage Canadian rye that's often not rye at all. It's genuinely rye whisky. If the Corsair rye is a solid expression of the earth side of rye then this is a solid expression of the spicy and subtly fruity side of rye. Between the two it's an excellent range of rye whisky.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #647 on: April 29, 2016, 10:58:44 am »
I tried a Bourbon based 1794 last night and it hit the nail square on the head. 2 parts Bourbon, 1 Campari, 1 Sweet Vermouth. Not sure what it is since it used Bourbon instead of Rye, but it was delicious.
I would call it a boulevardier, just a better version than the equal parts formula IMO.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #648 on: April 29, 2016, 12:29:09 pm »
When you can find it, Sazerac Rye is fantastic and affordable. In NC it runs $30 which typically means you can find it for less everywhere else.

Finding it is the hard part.  If you do find it, buy at least two bottles.

I had a Manhattan last night with Templeton rye.  Very tasty.  I was impressed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #649 on: April 29, 2016, 05:12:11 pm »
Came across the Corsair Ryemageddon on sale at a good price last weekend and gave it a whirl. A really interesting rye whiskey. It's whiskey distilled from rye and chocolate rye and aged for six years (it's the aged version of their normal rye). Nice depth of earthy flavor. Probably the second most earthy rye I've had behind High West Rendezvous Rye.

FYI - Corsair sells 10 and 15 gallon barrels on their website at extremely reasonable prices if one is looking for a larger barrel.

A few weeks back I also picked up a bottle of Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch for a little under $30. It's 91% Canadian rye whisky, 8% rye-heavy bourbon and 1% sherry. It's smooth, spicy and fruity. Sweeter and heavier than the Corsair. It's not garbage Canadian rye that's often not rye at all. It's genuinely rye whisky. If the Corsair rye is a solid expression of the earth side of rye then this is a solid expression of the spicy and subtly fruity side of rye. Between the two it's an excellent range of rye whisky.
I wasn't too fond of  Ryemageddon myself, but I have used three of their barrels for various club project beers.  The barley wine from the Triple Smoke barrel was awesome.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #650 on: May 09, 2016, 07:07:53 am »
I had opened my bottle of Stagg Jr. some time back and found it to be a bit too alcoholic for my tastes neat. My bottle is 132.1 proof. I had hit it over ice a few times and still found it hot. Last night I started with a more subdued Bourbon and then poured Stagg Jr. on the remaining cube, probably a half cube. It was divine. I suspect the initial drink had affected my palate and nasal passages enough to deaden the alcohol and allow the flavors and aromas to shine. When I had drank Stagg Jr. out and about it almost always was later in the evening so after a drink or two. That might explain why I found my bottle overly alcoholic and those in various restaurants no so strong. Anyway, I think from now on I will make it a headliner as opposed to the opening act.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #651 on: May 27, 2016, 11:07:19 am »
Went into Binny's today.  They want $42.99 for Wathen's.  What's happening to the world?  They were wiped out of pretty much everything else.  No 4 Roses Single Barrel.  No Elmer (haven't seen it in awhile).  No Eagle Rare.  I ended up getting some Knob Creek for the weekend as I'm out of good bourbon.

Was also out last week and saw the bar had a bottle of Weller 12 on the shelf.  I was going to get some, but they wanted $50 for a two-ounce pour.  WTF?  It's good, but it ain't Pappy and I've had Pappy for less than $50 a pour.  The world is getting ridiculous.  I might have to go back to gin.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #652 on: May 27, 2016, 11:38:44 am »
Maybe next year the new "in" spirit will be orange vodka (or something else crappy), with high end bottles of it selling for $100, and the cost of good bourbon will come back down. Or not.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #653 on: May 27, 2016, 11:41:19 am »
Maybe next year the new "in" spirit will be orange vodka (or something else crappy), with high end bottles of it selling for $100, and the cost of good bourbon will come back down. Or not.

Here's to hoping.  But I think we're in for the long haul on good bourbon becoming more scarce and more expensive.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #654 on: May 27, 2016, 11:42:02 am »

Here's to hoping.  But I think we're in for the long haul on good bourbon becoming more scarce and more expensive.

Agreed. No relief on Scotch either.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #655 on: May 27, 2016, 04:22:52 pm »
Weller 12 (not the Antique Series), was like $30 the last time I snagged a bottle. We are nasty in NC with Eagle Rare and Four Roses Single Barrel.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #656 on: May 27, 2016, 06:02:40 pm »
Found Four Roses Single Barrel, barrel strength. Man that packs a punch at 55.8%. Quite nice over some ice, still very hot though.  Not putting multiples of these down in an evening, but a great sipper me thinks
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #657 on: July 02, 2016, 03:43:25 pm »
My wife and I have been enjoying our drinks over "really big" ice cubes, not sure what else to call them.  We got a mold that makes three big spheres a little larger than golf balls and another mold that makes six cubes almost 2 inches wide.  It makes it more fun to have a dram and lasts pretty much through the whole glass.
We still have trouble getting them perfectly clear even using distilled water.  Any hints?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #658 on: July 03, 2016, 06:41:12 am »
My understanding is for perfectly clear ice it must freeze slow enough to allow the air to escape. Try insulating the mold in a freezer to allow for a slower freeze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #659 on: July 03, 2016, 08:14:43 am »
My wife and I have been enjoying our drinks over "really big" ice cubes, not sure what else to call them.  We got a mold that makes three big spheres a little larger than golf balls and another mold that makes six cubes almost 2 inches wide.  It makes it more fun to have a dram and lasts pretty much through the whole glass.
We still have trouble getting them perfectly clear even using distilled water.  Any hints?
My son got a whole bunch of silicone Star Wars-themed ice trays for his birthday, including a round mold that makes a racquetball-sized Death Star. Guess who's going to be drinking a whole lot of spirits served over That's-no-moon  ;D

As far as getting clear ice goes, here are a few suggestions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Clear-Ice

I haven't given any of these a try yet, but I might give the cooler method a shot. Or maybe I'll try the warm freeze next time I'm lagering a beer at 30F.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer