Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183108 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #660 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:31 am »
Kentucky Vintage has been growing on me as of late. I think it was around $35 and it plays well with a cube. The first time I had it after opening the bottle it didn't trip the trigger, but the last few times it has been quite good. I can probably find better at that price point, but it is a nice change of pace.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #661 on: August 08, 2016, 08:49:22 am »
I've added one to my favorites list: Aberlour Scotch.  I picked it up at Costco for ~$40.  Very nice!  For me just the right level of peatiness - which is to say not much.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #662 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:13 am »
I've added one to my favorites list: Aberlour Scotch.  I picked it up at Costco for ~$40.  Very nice!  For me just the right level of peatiness - which is to say not much.

Love it, and the price.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #663 on: September 27, 2016, 05:18:55 am »
Buffalo Trace is releasing their O.F.C. Bourbons by donating a bottle to charitable organizations to use for fundraising. 200 bottles are in the first release.

https://mashbang.wordpress.com/2016/09/27/bourbon-you-wont-find-and-could-not-afford-if-you-did-find/

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #664 on: September 27, 2016, 10:28:11 am »

That is right up my alley on peatiness. I really enjoy it in low levels but it easily turns from delicious to a salty iodine bath in low levels.

I hate that the local Costcos don't sell liquor. I went to one in Missouri over the summer that did and was just blown away by the quality of some of the offerings and the cheapness of some of the private label stuff which isn't that bad.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #665 on: September 27, 2016, 01:07:11 pm »
I've been wallowing in Bulliet and Maker's lately, as Target always has them on sale.  The last bottle of Maker's just does not taste good.

So I picked up Knob Creek and splurged on a bottle of Noah's Mill.  The Knob Creek is solid as usual.  Looking forward to the Noah's, but I'm not feeling a $50 bottle as an everyday drink right now.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #666 on: September 27, 2016, 01:14:01 pm »
Last weekend while in Spokane, I tried McCallan 12.  Seriously good.  Will get a bottle ~$50 after payday.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #667 on: September 27, 2016, 05:44:00 pm »
Last weekend while in Spokane, I tried McCallan 12.  Seriously good.  Will get a bottle ~$50 after payday.
Love that stuff. Bought some around the holidays last year and the gift box came with a smallish sample (1.25 Oz maybe) of their 18. Unbelievable, but not getting a bottle of that anytime soon at the prices it goes for
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #668 on: September 28, 2016, 06:15:13 am »
18 is divine, but Hakushu 12 is a better bargain. Maybe I should say was a better bargain. Just went online and it appears what was once an $80 price tag is now nearly a Benny.

Another one you'd like is Nikka Coffey Grain and it falls in at about $65. (Coffey is a still, so don't confuse it with Coffee.)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #669 on: September 28, 2016, 05:24:47 pm »
Thanx MDixon,  will have to look around for it when I'm at The Part Source again,  was just there shortly after you posted this but had not seen the post. Next time
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #670 on: October 29, 2016, 07:37:51 am »
Picked up a bottle of Suntory Toki this week, it was at the NC ABC store for $30. Poured very light and my wife commented on how light it was since I rarely drink spirits neat which are light in color. Reminded me of a lighter Macallan 12 and the price was nice. Let me know if you try it, I'd like your thoughts. Personally I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #671 on: October 30, 2016, 01:06:25 am »
Still kicking myself for passing on the "xxxxx" coffee (some Japanese distillery) that I found in CO after your suggestion, but I had already spent way too much on local beer to drop another $60 on a whiskey we would not have had time to finish/enjoy in our last 3 nights there. Will look for this one locally. Thanks for another suggestion

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Frank L.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #672 on: October 30, 2016, 06:29:14 am »
Nikka Coffey Grain

Offline 69franx

« Reply #673 on: October 30, 2016, 09:15:57 am »
That was it, have not seen it around home but had it in my hands in CO and put it down

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #674 on: November 08, 2016, 04:45:08 pm »