Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423610 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2895 on: May 14, 2020, 08:35:58 am »
German IPL coming up. Monroe, mandarina, melon, blanc hops
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:38:15 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2896 on: May 18, 2020, 01:32:05 pm »
Yesterday I brewed 6 gallons of an experimental ale (at least that is what I'm calling it)

10 pounds Belgian pilsner, 1 pound Belgian aromatic, 2 pounds jaggery sugar near the end of the boil. Loral cryohops throughout. Used Jovaru Lithuanian Farmhouse yeast from a friend.

Should be a decent beer but no matter what---it's still beer in the end.
Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2897 on: May 18, 2020, 03:52:35 pm »
West coast IPA last weekend with cryo and WY1217 PC.  Mecca Grade Lamonta and Opal 44.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2898 on: May 20, 2020, 07:49:12 pm »
I am brewing Bell Factory Blonde Ale tomorrow AM. I’ll use Warrior to bitter, Citra late, and Loral and Citra in a hop stand.

Most factories of the era used steam whistles to mark shift change but the mill here used a bell because it was hydro vs steam powered giving it the name the ‘Bell Factory’. Even old newspaper clippings as far away as New Orleans spoke of the fine cotton coming out of Bell Factory AL. The original bell is mounted at the Riverton school entrance.

The Flint River was extremely important to the industry here.  Now that the factories are gone, and Bell Factory is just a bend in the river, kayaks fill the river on weekends and holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:33:22 am by BrewBama »

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2899 on: May 20, 2020, 09:02:42 pm »
On Saturday I'm going for a Red IPA.  The last time I attempted this style I got it way too dark and it was more of a Black IPA.  Still good, but not what I was after.  This time around I'm starting with this recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/219945/schubrew-eye-for-an-eye-ipa.  I'm a big fan of The Calling from Boulevard.  I'm making a couple small hop changes because of some hops I already have available.

I'm going to use Red X and Chocolate Rye to try to get some color.  The choice was based on the pic from Iliff Ave Brewhouse on this page: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3331.3390.  I won't have anywhere near that much Red X, so it shouldn't be as dark.  I'm just planning to steep a little of those grains for a bit and see what happens.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2900 on: May 21, 2020, 03:19:14 am »
On Saturday I'm going for a Red IPA.  The last time I attempted this style I got it way too dark and it was more of a Black IPA.  Still good, but not what I was after.  This time around I'm starting with this recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/219945/schubrew-eye-for-an-eye-ipa.  I'm a big fan of The Calling from Boulevard.  I'm making a couple small hop changes because of some hops I already have available.

I'm going to use Red X and Chocolate Rye to try to get some color.  The choice was based on the pic from Iliff Ave Brewhouse on this page: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3331.3390.  I won't have anywhere near that much Red X, so it shouldn't be as dark.  I'm just planning to steep a little of those grains for a bit and see what happens.

Every time I've tried Red X in a hoppy beer, I feel like it competes with the hops. To me, the flavor is a "dark bread crust" note, in the ballpark of a dark Munich or Aromatic malt, and with the amount of Red X needed in the grain bill that flavor becomes overpowering. I really wanted to like this malt, and used a lot of it when it first came out, but I could never get past this flavor dilemma.

That said, it makes a stunning beer, visually. The trick to get the most red is to get the beer crystal clear (fining or lagering helps).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2901 on: May 21, 2020, 07:55:05 am »
I'm going to brew a Trappist Single type of beer, but with Chinook and Amarillo hops. So, it will be like a Belgian APA.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Brent

• 1st Kit
  • TenSpeed Brewer
« Reply #2902 on: May 21, 2020, 10:38:09 am »
Going with an American Brown Ale but using English Hops.
Looking for a combination of maltiness and bitterness.
OG 1.050
Mash 67C
Boil 60 min
Norhtdown / EKG / Fuggles
Ferment @ 19C
Brent

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2903 on: May 21, 2020, 01:30:21 pm »
Hazy IPA using pink boots hops, no clue how this will come out.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2904 on: May 21, 2020, 01:39:43 pm »
I'm going to brew a big Russian Imperial Stout for a club project to help fill a bourbon barrel.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2905 on: May 21, 2020, 03:22:42 pm »
Probably a German pils here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2906 on: May 22, 2020, 02:45:31 pm »

Good luck. I think red x is awesome if balanced properly. I’d love to see your recipe.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2907 on: May 22, 2020, 06:18:53 pm »

Good luck. I think red x is awesome if balanced properly. I’d love to see your recipe.

Sure thing.  I'll add it as a new topic in the recipe board.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2908 on: May 23, 2020, 07:15:35 am »
Post a picture of your Red IPA, Joe.  I am interested in seeing the color and it might give me some new ideas.

I just kegged my Red's for What Ales You (Imperial Red IPA) a couple days ago and I used 60, 80, and 120 L crystal in it as well as a little bit of roasted barley for color adjustment.  It is basically the same color as the Irish Red Ale picture I posted a few weeks back.  It calculated at an SRM of 24.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2909 on: May 23, 2020, 07:18:05 am »
Post a picture of your Red IPA, Joe.  I am interested in seeing the color and it might give me some new ideas.

I just kegged my Red's for What Ales You (Imperial Red IPA) a couple days ago and I used 60, 80, and 120 L crystal in it as well as a little bit of roasted barley for color adjustment.  It is basically the same color as the Irish Red Ale picture I posted a few weeks back.  It calculated at an SRM of 24.

Wow 24 usually makes a pretty deep brown for me. Red is usually around 16 for me.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:09:52 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »