Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146907 times)

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #300 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:39 am »
I find when I use 100% semolina it is a harder dough but it doesn't rebound as much under the rollers so it's easier to get into shape. the higher the percentage of 'normal' flour the more bounce back after rolling so you have to let it rest more.
That's exactly what I experienced but it was just my first time, the 100% pasta flour batch was harder and held it's shape better.  I made each batch separately and kneaded each by hand so it's likely they didn't get the exact same amount of kneading.   I let them rest in the fridge for about 90 minutes before rolling.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #301 on: June 13, 2011, 12:30:08 pm »
Udon. That's a great idea! Never thought to make it.

it's nice, like I said, it's a little sticky so harder to work with than an egg and semolina pasta but it's dead simple

I use about .3-.5 buckwheat and the rest AP, you could probably go all the way to 100% buckwheat but I havn't tried that. and then enough water to get your texture, CAUTION: you can end up with ALOT of pasta this way so add the water and stop while it still seems pretty dry and let it rest cause as the flour hydrates it gets stickier and if you end up having to add more flour it gets a little ridiculous.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #302 on: June 13, 2011, 09:58:22 pm »
Semolina Pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2011, 06:53:36 am »
yesterday:

1 cup grapefruit juice (1.5 grapefruit) plus chunks from the other half of the remaining grapefruit, along with 3 tbsp of agave syrup, 1 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of lime juice and about 2 peaches cut into chunks, salt & pepper to taste. Reduced that on the stove for about an hour till it was basically fruit in syrup. Tasting revealed that it was WAY too bitter, so I added two sugar cubes.

While the sauce was reducing, took two duck breasts, put 'em in the Egg for about 40 minutes skin side up, on top of a roasting pan to catch the fat, at about 280/300 to let the fat render out. Took the rendered fat and fried some cepes-mushroom-stuffed raviol. Flipped the breasts over and put 'em on direct heat to let the skin crisp, while I was doing that went inside and wilted some spinach from the garden in a little of the remaining duck fat, then quickly strained/separated the fruit mixture and added the chunks of fruit to the pan with the spinach. cut the stove fire and went back outside and glazed the breasts with the reserved syrup mixture. Plated, served with Bell' de Loing's Saffron Saison. Beer was eh, duck was ZOMG. Watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade while eating, then followed it up with a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of chocolate mint ice creams. Nom.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »
Phil I got some Duck Confit done sousvide-style in the fridge from a couple years ago. Think it's still good? ;)

Anyway here's an excerpt from my celebration of the fresh and abundant 'mater harvest. Made the basil-tomato sauce this morning. Brown 1# ground beef with garlic and drain. Remove from pan and set aside. Reduce 3 cups fresh tomato sauce with dried mushrooms while 12ozpasta (rotini) cooks (approx 11 min). If sauce get's too dry refresh with pasta-water. Add ground beef and toss right before pasta is ready. Drain pasta (leave some water) and toss in sauce.

Meatini to whet the appetite:

Meatini #2. Why not?

Served with cab sav and some freshly grated parm.

Who can resist seconds?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2011, 01:44:39 am »
It depends - if it's still in its fat, the canned stuff can last for YEARS. That's the whole point with confit, it conserves it. You should be able to tell from the smell - if the fat smells rancid, it's done. Otherwise, enjoy!
----

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #306 on: June 16, 2011, 06:16:40 am »
That pasta and the duck above look fantastic.  How common is duck in France Phil?  We just don't eat that much of it over here, why I'm not sure.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #307 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:52 am »
That pasta and the duck above look fantastic.  How common is duck in France Phil?  We just don't eat that much of it over here, why I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Probably much more common in France than the States. I think duck is outrageously expensive when compared to the average American's chicken-budget. I'll try to pick a frozen duck up after christmas when they are on sale- usually about $17-20 per bird. And they don't cook up like chicken either.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #308 on: June 16, 2011, 11:06:24 am »

Super common, at least duck breast/duck confit (legs). Lots of foie gras production around here which means they're much cheaper than the US. Thing you have to keep in mind is that chickens, at least the ones at the stores that we shop at, are just about the same price as duck, although duck is still more expensive. 14-18 euros for a duck is a good price, but then again roaster chickens cost anywhere between 9 and 14 euros for the regular free-range kind. Bresse chickens (the best chickens in the world) are closer to a little under 50 eur per bird, depending on how big they are, etc.

You can find inexpensive duck in NYC and probably Chicago, but outside of that it's not easy.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #309 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:50 am »
That much for yard-bird? Jeezus. I don't like paying more than $0.90 per pound for whole chicken though some premium brands are as much as $1.19 a pound. Paying about $6 for a good-sized bird is more in tune with my budget.

I'm willing to bet the French don't consume nearly as much chicken as we do per capita.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #310 on: June 16, 2011, 11:50:29 am »
That much for yard-bird? Jeezus. I don't like paying more than $0.90 per pound for whole chicken though some premium brands are as much as $1.19 a pound. Paying about $6 for a good-sized bird is more in tune with my budget.

I'm willing to bet the French don't consume nearly as much chicken as we do per capita.

With the possible exception of wine and tobacco, the french don't comsume ANYTHING as much as we do per capita. Hardly anyone in the WORLD consumes as much as we do here in the states per capita.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #311 on: June 16, 2011, 12:01:06 pm »
Anymore I like to buy whole chickens but I have to search through a bunch to find one <4 pounds.  I much prefer the smaller ones and when I used to buy family packs of leg quarters or whatever, one quarter will be from a 4.5# bird and another is from a teradactyl or something.  Plus I get the back/neck/trimmings for stock.

Asian restaurants have duck here but I'm always scared to order it because I figure it just doesn't move.  Going to Vegas in a couple weeks and hope to find some good duck there.  I know I'm gonna try it at Lotus of Siam.

Mmmmmm, foie gras. :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #312 on: June 16, 2011, 12:59:35 pm »
Have you developed a taste for rock/cornish hens then? I can get 2 frozen for $5.50, up in price from a couple years ago.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #313 on: June 16, 2011, 01:23:54 pm »
Anymore I like to buy whole chickens but I have to search through a bunch to find one <4 pounds.  

do you guys get Bell&Evans in CF?  I buy mostly whole chickens and most of the B&E are 3.5-4lbs.  Am grabbing one Saturday in fact.

nice duck there Phil - mmm now I want some cassoulet...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:29:42 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #314 on: June 16, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »
Yes, love cornish game hens.  And for me, a whole one is about the perfect serving.  Spatchcock it, rub it, and roast it and I'm good.  That sounds dirty. :P

Don't think I've ever seen Bill&Evans but I tend to not notice brands as much as I should.  Damn I'm really hankerin' fer some poultry now.