Founders Brewing Company’s Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) is an oatmeal coffee stout with Sumatra and Kona beans. Jeremy Kosmicki, head brewer, gave us his guidance on the recipe by sharing the ingredients and approximate proportions to make your own that’s pretty damn close to the real thing.
The high ABV gives you the jolt of a morning coffee buzz, but with an extra punch. Swirling this dark, molasses-colored beer, with its deep, burnt caramel head, you’ll be tempted to take another sip. All the while, rusty lace clings to the glass as it grows ever emptier.
Far too rich and powerful to remind you of any other oatmeal stout, KBS is hoppier than expected, biting back at you. The chocolate arrives late, masked by waves of coffee bitterness. But, the more you drink, the sweeter it tastes.
So, can you have Kentucky Breakfast Stout for breakfast? Well, that’s up to you. It might be acceptable on a holiday, but today isn’t a holiday and you’re still refusing to kick off the covers.
At least you can always make up your own holiday, can’t you? Enjoy!
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout | Russian Imperial Stout
- 13.25 lb (6.01 kg) pale malt
- 1.5 lb (0.68 kg) flaked oats
- 0.75 lb (340 g) roast barley
- 0.75 lb (340 g) Belgian chocolate malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian debittered black malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) 120°L crystal malt
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Nugget pellet hops, 13% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.25 oz (35 g) Willamette pellet hops, 5% a.a. (25 min)
- 1.75 oz (49 g) Willamette pellet hops, 5% a.a. (10 min)
- 2.5 oz (71 g) Belgian bittersweet chocolate (15 min)
- 1.5 oz (42 g) unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee (flameout)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) cold brewed Kona coffee (in secondary)
- American or California Ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.092
- IBU: 73
- SRM: 60
To brew this Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone, perform an infusion mash at 155°F (68°C) for 60 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops, chocolate and coffee as specified. Ferment for two weeks at 65°F (18°C). Soak 0.25 oz (7 g) toasted French oak chips in 1 cup (237 ml) Kentucky bourbon for two days. Soak ground Kona coffee in 1 cup (237 ml) boiled, cooled water and leave overnight, covered, in refrigerator. Strain out grounds and add cold-brewed coffee, bourbon and wood chips to sanitized secondary. Rack fermented stout onto this mixture and condition in secondary at 55–60°F (13–16°C) for 2 to 6 months.
To brew a mini-mash recipe of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone, substitute 7.75 lb (3.52 kg) light malt extract syrup for 10 lb (4.5 kg) of the pale malt. Conduct a mini-mash with the remaining 3.25 lb (1.5 kg) pale malt and other grains at 155°F (68°C) for 60 minutes, sparge, and proceed as above, dissolving extract into hot wort before the boil.