This recipe appears in the July/August 2017 issue of Zymurgy magazine in the article Homebrew Homecoming by Emily Hutto.
Recipe courtesy Jeff Tyler, Spice Trade Brewing Co., Arvada, Colo. Tyler says:
Don’t use any cold-side clarifying agents! Haze means there are hop polyphenols in solution, which promote magical, juicy, fruit-forward flavor!
Spice Trade Brewing Sun Temple IPA | India Pale Ale
- 10.63 lb. (4.8 kg) pale malt
- 6 oz. (170 g) Weyermann CaraAmber
- 3 oz. (85 g) Special B
- 0.6 oz. (17 g) Magnum, 12.3% a.a. @ 60 min
- 1.9 oz. (54 g) El Dorado, 9% a.a. @ 20 min
- 0.8 oz. (23 g) Citra, 14.1% a.a. @ 10 min
- 1.4 oz. (40 g) El Dorado @ 9% a.a. @ flameout
- 0.3 oz. (9 g) Simcoe, 12.3% a.a. @ flameout
- 0.75 oz. (21 g) El Dorado, whirlpool 30 min
- 1.25 oz. (35 g) Simcoe, whirlpool 30 min
- 1.2 oz. (34 g) El Dorado, dry hop on day 3
- 0.7 oz. (20 g) Simcoe, dry hop on day 3
- 0.7 oz. (20 g) Citra, dry hop on day 3
- 1.2 oz. (34 g) El Dorado, dry hop on day 7
- 0.7 oz. (20 g) Simcoe, dry hop on day 7
- 0.7 oz. (20 g) Citra, dry hop on day 7
- 1.2 oz. (34 g) El Dorado, dry hop on day 10
- 0.7 oz. (20 g) Simcoe, dry hop on day 10
- 0.7 oz. (20 g) Citra, dry hop on day 10
- 1/4 tsp. yeast nutrient @ 15 min
- 1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min
- 1 lb. (454 g) dextrose @ 10 min
- GigaYeast Vermont IPA Yeast, Inland Island Colorado IPA, or The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale
- Minerals are important for this style. If you dabble in chemistry, shoot for 100 ppm chloride and 200 ppm sulfate. Specific salt additions depend on the base water profile you start with.
- Original Gravity: 1.064 (15.8° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.010 (2.5° P)
- ABV: 7.1%
- IBU: 75
- SRM: 7
Mash grains at 148° F (64° C) for one hour, lauter, and sparge. Boil 60 minutes, adding hops, yeast nutrient, Whirlfloc tablet, and dextrose as indicated above. After flameout, add whirlpool hops and stir wort for 30 minutes to create a whirlpool and precipitate out the trub. Chill wort as quickly as possible, run off into a fermenter, pitch yeast, and oxygenate.
Ferment at 68–72°F (20–22°C), depending on your chosen yeast strain. Add dry hops 3, 7, and 10 days after brew day as indicated above. Bottle or keg with 2.6 volumes (5.2 g/L) of CO2.
Substitute pale malt with 8.1 lb. (3.67 kg) pale liquid malt extract. Steep CaraAmber and Special B malts in 155° F (68° C) reverse osmosis (RO) water for 30 minutes. Dissolve extract and top up to desired boil volume with RO water. Add hops and boil 60 minutes. Proceed as above.