2016 Big Brew Recap
- Events: 483
- Participants: 12,780
- Batches Made: 2,363
- Gallons Brewed: 17,804
- Participating States: 48
- Participating Countries: 12
May 6, 2017
Celebrate National Homebrew Day
In 1988, May 7 was announced before Congress as National Homebrew Day. The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) created AHA Big Brew as an annual event to celebrate National Homebrew Day around the world. AHA Big Brew is held each year on the first Saturday in May.
Anyone, even homebrew shops, can host and register a Big Brew event, so invite your friends and family, gather around the brew kettle and join in the global celebration of the greatest hobby there is—homebrewing!
2016 Official Recipes
In 1516, the Reinheitsgebot – commonly referred to as the “German Purity Law” – initially went into affect in Bavaria. Though earlier variations of the law were adopted almost half a century before it’s official enactment on April 23 that year – the law eventually would go into affect across all of Germany. Among other reasons, the law was originally adopted to control the price of grain used in the brewing process – and only allowed brewers to use three ingredients in their beer; water, hops, and barley. Though the law has since been adapted to modern regulations, it’s impact on the history of brewing & beer styles is still renowned today.
In honor of the 500th anniversary of the Reinheitsgebot, the American Homebrewers Association is celebrating it’s impact by encouraging homebrewers world wide to brew their choice of two recipes; a Northern German Altbier or a Spiced Beer.
Using only malted barley, hops, water, and yeast, the “Strike Team Chanukah Altbier” stays in line with the Reinheitsgebot’s centuries-old regulations. The second recipe, however, incorporates several ingredients that violate the German Purity Law – such as wheat, honey, and ginger. This sessionable “Summertime Ginger Ale” is perfect for the summer months.
Both of these recipes are featured in the AHA’s guide to first time homebrewers – Zymurgy: An Introduction to Homebrewing. Big Brew site organizers can have complimentary copies of this magazine mailed to them by requesting here, and online PDF versions can be downloaded here.
Celebrate Big Brew in 2016
Don’t Miss the Simultaneous Toast noon CDT on May 7, 2016!
Big Brew Promotional Materials
Spread the Joy
- Promotional materials: if you are hosting a Big Brew event that is open to the public, use the AHA’s downloadable promotional materials to help spread the word about your gathering.
- Let’s Brew: explore this section for brewing tutorials, tips on making better beer and tasty recipes.
- Zymurgy: An Introduction to Homebrewing: request copies of the AHA’s guide for the new brewer–or access it online. Order deadline for hardcopy shipping is Tuesday, April 26, 2016.
- Homebrewopedia: a wiki-style resource containing a large library of recipes, a glossary of brewing terms, homebrew club resources and much more!
- AHA store: pick up the latest homebrewing books or issues of Zymurgy magazine.
Share the Experience
PHOTOS SUBMITTED BY BIG BREW PARTICIPANTS