Monique Scovil of Aurora, CO, member of the Colorado Wine Club, won a gold medal in Category #25: Melomel (Fruit Mead) during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Scovil’s Melomel (Fruit Mead) was chosen as the best among 132 final round entries in the category and helped earn the 2011 NHC Meadmaker of the Year title.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Adore | Mead
- 14.0 lb (6.35 kg) wildflower honey
- Pluots (amount unknown)
- Potassium sorbate at primary
- Potassium metabisulfite at primary
- Acid blend at bottling.
- 1 packet liquid Superkleer to clarify
- Filtered St. Paul water up to volume
- Lalvin D-47 dry yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.09
- Final Gravity: 1.03
- ABV: 7.88%
- Mix water and honey, stir vigorously to oxygenate. Add the yeast energizer and nutrient to the must. Add the fruit and pectic enzyme. Add the yeast on top of the must. Ferment completely, watching for signs of slowing fermentation. Rack to secondary and age until clear.